Zvezda 787-9 Virgin Atlantic Dreamliner G-VNEW 1/144

Zvezda 787-9 Virgin Atlantic Dreamliner G-VNEW

Kit - Zvezda 787-9

Decals  

Pas Decals (Titles & Doors)

Authentic Airliners (windows)

Paints

Revell 4 White Gloss & Xtracolor MICA1 (fuselage)

Revell 4 White Gloss (Wings and horizontal stabilizers) 

Tamiya ts18 Metallic Red (Tail & engines)

IMG_20180420_174015583_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_174417369.jpg

IMG_20180420_174650762.jpg

IMG_20180420_174411030.jpg

IMG_20180420_174035147_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_174432330.jpg

IMG_20180420_174748437.jpg

IMG_20180420_174024500_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_173617654_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_173338302_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_173452988_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_173316654_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_173358124_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_173745759_HDR.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed. Not the easiest livery but the mica white and Tamiya red really look great. :goodjob:

There has been quite a run of airliners in RFI recently and yours is a worthy addition. I’m just finishing a 787-8 in LOT colours and at some point I hope to do a -9 probably as Norwegian’s “Freddy Mercury”. If it turns out as well as yours I’ll be very pleased.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 2:17 AM, Nachtwulf said:

That looks amazing! I've never attempted an airliner but that makes me want to! :worthy:

On 4/22/2018 at 5:39 AM, Graeme H said:

Simply stunning,

the paints colours certainly look the goods

On 4/22/2018 at 8:31 AM, Skodadriver said:

Very nice indeed. Not the easiest livery but the mica white and Tamiya red really look great. :goodjob:

There has been quite a run of airliners in RFI recently and yours is a worthy addition. I’m just finishing a 787-8 in LOT colours and at some point I hope to do a -9 probably as Norwegian’s “Freddy Mercury”. If it turns out as well as yours I’ll be very pleased.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:38 AM, stevej60 said:

Beautiful build and finish Phil:D

On 4/22/2018 at 9:45 AM, Britman said:

Smashing job, thanks for the inspiration. 

On 4/22/2018 at 9:56 AM, phildagreek said:

Looks superb!

On 4/22/2018 at 9:58 AM, Chanex said:

That’s a stunner Phil-beautifully finished. The mica red glinting in the sunlight looks amazing!

On 4/22/2018 at 9:08 PM, Turbofan said:

That's a beauty Phil!

I think this current Virgin livery is my favourite of all and the -9 proportions look better than the -8 to me.

Cheers,

Ian

On 4/22/2018 at 10:41 PM, hurricane39 said:

Fantastic job.  Great looking bird.  Always loved the Virgin colours.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:59 PM, MartinSK said:

Great and clean job on this flying 787-9.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:42 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Excellent work Phil

On 4/22/2018 at 11:48 PM, Harold55 said:

What a beautiful job!  The paint job is flawless.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:26 AM, kapam said:

Crikey, that's beautiful!

Grasping for superlatives! :worthy:

thank you everyone for your (very generous) comments! this was by no means an easy build but that was down to a bit of a shoddy approach from myself and little to do with what is an excellent kit (which has only one little complaint from me).

Although the result is pleasing this kit started a bit of a nightmare and shows I have a bit to learn as I end up making life difficult for myself. First I used excess multiput for the windows and ended up sanding the life out of the whole window area which created a flat panel rather than a nice rounded one at the side of the fuselage, of course i eventually corrected this but lost quite a bit of detail on the kit. My next error was a monumental one, i have a habit of opening up the fuselage joins with heavy buffing so i like to use a bit of superglue! probably fine with a slow cure but it stuck before i had both fuselage halves fully in place...... i then had to open the fuselage up again and snapped all the little links to make sure they snap in the right position - oh dear! i ended up back to square one with a horrible sticky mess which even at that early stage thought about chucking in the bin - back down to amateur level after 4 years of proper modelling. 

Without the links (or whatever the technical term is) putting it together was unbelievably difficult, but after persisting and using elastic bands i finally got them together albeit half a millimetre offset, by this point the base with the wings fitted in place but later after painting did not.

once cleaned up everything went smoothly until i used the tamiya TS18 Metallic red spray, this stuff gets everywhere and is more suitable to use on your car rather than a 1/144 model (and we are just talking about the tail and engines too!) 

to get a half decent finish you have to stand way back which means that you pretty much spray the entire room. For metallic red there are little in terms of alternatives available. A lot of people go with a flat or 'poster red' colour for virgin which may not be entirely wrong as if you've ever observed bransons fleet there are several different types of red used in the tail designs, some are obviously the old livery which are planes due to be taken out of service but some of the newer ones have suffered some paint issues which has lead to some variety, for the dreamliners though (obviously the most recent purchases) are the same nice metallic red. I would recommend if someone is going to follow the same colour scheme to try the revell 'clear' red ON TOP of a previously applied sliver metallic finish - I havent tried this but it might save a bit frustration and several cans of tamiya paint.

the next disaster was the MICA on top of the gloss white/ hint of grey fuselage. the MICA is sticky and can remain sticky for days, so when you are touching the model its possible it can attract dirt from your fingers. when this happened i tried to clean it up and ended up with a patch missing the MICA - and when reapplied it looked a different colour underneath, you can't tell in the pictures as I've done my best to blend it- the light actually helps to hide it with the sheen off the fuselage.

the final disaster was all to do with the engines and this is where the kit does you no favours. I remember the zvezda 777 kit was perfect with the exception of one stupid thing and this is the same. The 777 kit had separate intakes that had to be glued in place from inside the fuselage, but there was no natural way for them to be inserted when trying to glue them in place. The problem i found with this kit was the chevrons on the rear of the engine, they basically have to be glued on a 1 mm surface and are very fragile pieces. even beautifully painted up i managed to knock them off a few times and every time had to seal the gaps, sand them down and reapply the tamiya paint (which went everywhere again) - the engines took more time than the rest of the model as a result. But all in all a decent result especially bearing in mind all this! I think next time I've just got to take my time in the construction phase to save time later on. 

A quick word about the decals and i'd say they were excellent - they make the model for me. Everyone knows authentic airliners do the best cockpit windows and these are no exception. Pas decals are also beautiful - even with a mistake they can be lifted up (even after 10-15 minutes) if you apply water and use the corner of a sheet of paper to get underneath, I did this several times to re-position the titles. in my experience, pas decals do NOT break apart and are some of the best decals available.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2018 at 9:08 PM, Turbofan said:

That's a beauty Phil!

I think this current Virgin livery is my favourite of all and the -9 proportions look better than the -8 to me.

Cheers,

Ian

cheers ian, I totally agree although I've never seen one in the flesh! I've seen 2 TUI 787-8s on the ground at EGNT and i was quite surprised how stubby they looked. The -10 will be something quite spectacular as well! 

On 4/22/2018 at 8:31 AM, Skodadriver said:

thank you mate! I will look forward to your Norwegian build and keep my eyes peeled for your LOT on the RFI. can wait to see freddy on the former tail as well!

You’ve really done a cracking job of the Dreamliner!  :goodjob:

There is one significant detail which is incorrect though, the aircraft you’ve made does have the correct Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines for G-VNEW, but the fan blades on these engines are all titanium, not composite and titanium as you’ve depicted on your model. However, the alternative American GEnx engines do have titanium/composite blades which is how you’ve painted the blades on your particular model and it must have been a real challenge to replicate this detail at such a small scale. 

R-R Trent 1000 with 20 titanium fan blades:

40985554444_e6f9194f13_o.jpg

GEnx fan has 18 composite blades with titanium leading edges:

40804403705_1a1c3358df_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Bill.B said:

There is one significant detail which is incorrect though, the aircraft you’ve made does have the correct Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines for G-VNEW, but the fan blades on these engines are all titanium, not composite and titanium as you’ve depicted on your model. However, the alternative American GEnx engines do have titanium/composite blades which is how you’ve painted the blades on your particular model and it must have been a real challenge to replicate this detail at such a small scale. 

thanks bill, much appreciated. funny enough the picture your referring to does look that way but is totally unintentional! think its just a trick of the light. heres a pic from earlier in the build

IMG_20180305_201430019.jpg

i did however have to do the composite blades with titanium leading edges for the 777 in a previous project which was tricky to say the least!

IMG_20160722_164515.jpg

1 hour ago, Bill.B said:

this pic is a bit better.........

IMG_20180420_173428027_HDR.jpg

the light is still playing tricks on the upper part of the blades but lower down you can see how there's less of a 'gap' between them. i think i've made it a little too reflective in there and that's throwing the light about a bit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phil1 said:

this pic is a bit better.........

IMG_20180420_173428027_HDR.jpg

the light is still playing tricks on the upper part of the blades but lower down you can see how there's less of a 'gap' between them. i think i've made it a little too reflective in there and that's throwing the light about a bit

IMG_20180420_180933694.jpg

Hello Phil,

I am amazed regarding the paint job. Looks excellent. 

Regards, Orion

• Like 1