1/200 BOAC Jumbo jet

Hi Guys,

Whilst I realise 1/200 airliners are not particularly well catered for/popular, I must confess to having a real soft spot for the old Hasegawa Love Liner series. I remember as a spotty youth building a number of these little beauties, and all these years later they still build into pretty accurate renditions of the real thing.

I built this 747 about 6 months ago from the old JAL boxing - IIRC this was the first 747 Hasegawa released. The landing gear is a bit basic so I added steering cylinders and taxi lights to the nose gear, but left the main landing gear alone as it's pretty much hidden away under the wings. As I managed to snap off the wing mounted HF aerials these were replaced with plastic rod. I also added a APU exhaust shroud, which is a bit oversize - and I wasn't too sure if the early ones actually had these fitted(?) Most photo's of BOAC 747's seem to show the wingtip magnetic sensors painted bright orange/red. Does anyone know the reason for this? 

The decals are by Classic-Airlines who do a great range for 1/200 airliners. Anyhow without further ado here's 'November Alpha' the flagship of the BOAC fleet.506_B4_C77-2_C05-4_A5_A-9_CEF-_FAD87172217_FB02_D1-_CB5_C-4_D43-896_D-_C9663054_809_F5_BB8-0886-480_B-9_A23-_E88_F071_ACFEF13_A50-19_E3-4_A43-995_E-8077_EA6_A04

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Very nice indeed.  I find 1/200 too small, particularly for narrow bodies, but the old Love Liners are really nice and you've certainly done a fine job on this one. A classic aircraft in a classic livery.

• Like 3

Superb 747 Nick! I have this to do in 1/144 one day. It is such a classy livery.

Good observation on the wing to body fairing grey area detail. I have only just discovered there is a natural metal area between the wing and cheatline around the centre door from recent research on a 747 project I have on the go. I think this is only a feature in early 747s though.

Over the years I've had quite a few Hasegawa Love Liner kits but never finished any of them, like Dave I find them too small and for me it's the toylike undercarriage that lets them down but for faithfully capturing the overall shapes they are second only to Authentic Airliners IMHO.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Excellent build!

I imagine 1/200 is a manageable scale for a 747.

I dream about a 1/72 747 but it is not a house-friendly idea to mention to the Missus. :fraidnot:

Anyway, great job! :clap2:

• Like 1

Stunning. I have the Tristar and DC10 from this series. Both will get converted to the tanker versions. The Tristar will need chopping though as the RAF ones were 500 series aircraft with the shorter fuselages. 

I have the 144 Airfix 'Big Orange' 747 to do as a BOAC one. 

All the best

Greg

• Like 1