Dewoitine D510 Smer/Heller 1/72 BM @ 10 GB

The Dewoitine D.510 was an all-metal, open-cockpit, fixed-undercarriage monoplane  fighter aircraft, used by the French Air Force in the 1930s. They saw action against the Japanese flying for Chinese Air Force, and in North Africa.

This particular kit is the Smer reboxing of the original Heller kit, which I bought as part of a job lot years ago on EvilBay, which averaged out at about a £1 a kit (what's not to like ! )

I built this to mark the 10th anniversary of Britmodeller in the Group Build, work in progress below

The kit went together really well apart from me breaking then loosing the undercarriage legs, these being replaced with toothpicks from the hotel I was staying in ! And a big thanks to CliffB for coming to my rescue after I trashed 2 roundals.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_3837

IMG_3836

IMG_3835

IMG_3838

IMG_3839

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking DeWoitine 👍 ... Thats the second DeWoitine ive seen today.  

They are like buses, you wait ages for one then lots of them come along at the same time :D

cheers Pat

• Like 2

On 22/04/2018 at 1:22 PM, Colin1967 said:

It's great to see Heller kits built up like this one and I hope you have more for us to enjoy :goodjob:

I also found your reference to ebay amusing as that's what I refer to them as !!

More please,

Colin.

Thanks Colin

Currently looking at the following Heller kits in the stash;

Potez 540, 631

Amiot 143

Leo 451

Bloch 174, MB210

I fancy doing the next one in Vichy colours, which will be a good excuse to find out about more about where these aircraft saw service during that period. However the stripes look terrifying, I have this vision of the colours merging to a Orange mess !

Actually I have forgotten about the smaller aircraft looking at the list above;

Bloch 152 

Dewoitine 520

Moraine Saulnier MS406 

Caudron Renault 714

Curtis Hawk 75

Are you planning on building any yourself ?

There is a great Group Build coming up this year Mediterranean Theatre of Operations (MTO) which will offer the ideal opportunity to build these.

cheers Pat

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Colin

Currently looking at the following Heller kits in the stash;

Potez 540, 631

Amiot 143

Leo 451

Bloch 174, MB210

I fancy doing the next one in Vichy colours, which will be a good excuse to find out about more about where these aircraft saw service during that period. However the stripes look terrifying, I have this vision of the colours merging to a Orange mess !

Actually I have forgotten about the smaller aircraft looking at the list above;

Bloch 152 

Dewoitine 520

Moraine Saulnier MS406 

Caudron Renault 714

Curtis Hawk 75

Are you planning on building any yourself ?

There is a great Group Build coming up this year Mediterranean Theatre of Operations (MTO) which will offer the ideal opportunity to build these.

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to me !

Yes, of course, we have similar interests in choice of kits to build.  I am currently finishing off an Avis 1/72 RFB Fantrainer 400 in Thai AF colours and it's been a joy to build, look out for RFI post soon.  I am currently on sick leave so, have much time to enjoy model making and buses are my other hobby.  I am currently looking thru my stash of kits and am drawn to my Heller kits, particularly the 1/72 Texans and the Potez 631 and Potez 63-11.  I will also check out the GB mentioned.

All the best

Colin.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

I forgot to mention regarding the red and yellow vichy stripes, you can get a couple of Print Scale decal sheets for the Heller 1/72 Moraine Saulnier MS406 and Dewoitine D.520 that as the red portions available as a decal, so much easier than hand painting the stripes, or my way would be to paint just the yellow portions and chicken out from painting the red stripes...

I have decided to build a couple of Texans, then do the Potez twins.

Best regards

Colin.