1/72nd Airfix Mitchell II,..... No. 3 PRU, India, 1943. FINISHED!!!

tonyot

Tony, surprisingly, the Soviets only operated a handful of the B-25Gs, as tank-busters. Mostly they used the Mitchells (B-25C/D/J) for what they called long-range missions, using them alongside the indigenous Il-4s (although they would have been in different air regiments). That is a nice decal sheet - I like the Mitchells with the partial winter camouflage. I shall have to look for its equivalent in the one true scale (I'm somewhat surprised I don't already have it; maybe I do). Meanwhile, back to our regular programme, I look forward to seeing this Mitchell in the all-blue scheme. She will look a treat! Perhaps you know the answer to this - did the B-25C/D ever appear as a PBJ with the 'Pinocchio' radar nose? 

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor correction; almost too minor to mention.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Learstang said:

Tony, surprisingly, the Soviets only operated a handful of the B-25Gs, as tank-busters. Mostly they used the Mitchells (B-25C/D/J) for what they called long-range missions, using them alongside the indigenous Il-4s (although they would have been in different air regiments). That is a nice decal sheet - I like the Mitchells with the partial winter camouflage. I shall have to look for its equivalent in the one true scale (I'm somewhat surprised I don't already have it; maybe I do). Meanwhile, back to our regular programme, I look forward to seeing this Mitchell in the all-blue scheme. She will look a treat! Perhaps you know the answer to this - did the B-25C/D ever appear as a PBJ with the 'Pinocchio' radar nose? 

Regards,

Jason

I love the snow camouflaged aircraft too Jason and that would be the first one I went for too,....and I`d rather go 1/72nd scale too,.... there is a sheet available from the same manufacturer with the same options, costs around £11 if you can find one.

As for the PBJ with Pinnochio radar,.... I`m not sure,.... don`t think so,.... but I do seem to recall some conversion parts being available a while ago,...maybe from OWL? 

Onwards and upwards with the model,..... I`ve now attached the nacelles, engines and main undercarriage legs,.....almost ready to paint now!

39912073910_f674983e8f_k.jpgDSCF3116 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 2

Very nice, Tony! I notice you've painted the clear part frames on the interior - something I should always do, but seldom do. I'm about at the stage with my Soviet B-25J that you are with this Mitchell II - I'd quit working on mine a few weeks ago, but your lovely build seems to be helping me get my mojo back (why am I always so chronically low on mojo?! Bone idleness?). Regarding the 1/72 scale sheet for the Soviet B-25's, I'm having problems finding it also. Even my normal go-to, eBay, isn't helping. Regarding the 'Pinocchio' nose PBJ, that appears to have been used on the PBJ-1D and the PBJ-1J (I believe externally, the B-25C and B-25D were almost identical), and Owl may have had parts for this (it seems right up their alley), but sadly they're running down the resin part of their operation.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve painted the model today,.......using Polly Scale USN Sea Blue applied over a coat of black as an undercoat, first using a flat wide brush for the main airframe;

41744092461_0e2a4e986d_k.jpgDSCF3117_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27875076408_9d2c85eb9f_k.jpgDSCF3119_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Then the canopy frames etc were painted using a smaller brush;

39936651160_28ed6a07e1_k.jpgDSCF3120_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

So after a brushed on coat of Humbrol enamel gloss varnish for the decals,...the model has been left overnight to dry.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Learstang said:

. Regarding the 'Pinocchio' nose PBJ, that appears to have been used on the PBJ-1D and the PBJ-1J (I believe externally, the B-25C and B-25D were almost identical), and Owl may have had parts for this (it seems right up their alley), but sadly they're running down the resin part of their operation.

Does this help?

http://www.obscureco.com/product_pages/OBS72005/OBS72005.html

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,

After masking up the black de icing boots and painting them last night, I got the decals on this morning,.....all four of them!! The propellers will have more decals on them than the entire airframe! 

41722701392_9d4fe945d1_z.jpgDSCF3124_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Went out to the model shop and guess what,...... I came home with yet another Airfix Mitchell,..... in order to build the PRU Blue one! I built a PRU Blue one from the Italeri kit years ago,..... but I can see it is in need of replacement! 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

Hiya Folks,...... almost finished now! 

Here are the camera ports drilled out under the rear fuselage,....... based on written descriptions, not photographic evidence;

41066510234_bd30b6a877_k.jpgDSCF3127 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41742456572_b0858f94be_k.jpgDSCF3129 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Just need to add the windows, decals to the propeller blades and the model will be finished,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, shatters said:

Are they not post war type D roundels ?

Phil

No! Faded light blue and Dull Red, not Pink,...plus of course the D Type hadn`t been invented yet! ,.... The blue was lightened because the standard B Types tended to look like Japanese roundels on this scheme! These roundels were used during 1942 and into 1943,...... I believe that yellow outlines were also tried out,.....as seen on my 3 PRU Hurricane model, wearing markings from later in 1943 which also had fuselage and fin markings added by this time;

39977332830_dde21a1bcc_k.jpgPicture 555 by Tony OToole, on Flickr 

Of course by later in 1943 they were also just beginning to add SEAC style markings, first by deleting the red from roundels,..... then modifying them again by reducing the resulting white area,..... then on again to reducing the entire roundel then adding light blue to replace the white which was deemed to be too visible from a distance,..... not that it bothered the RAAF!

Cheers,

Tony

Edit,.....some Post War RN Skyraider`s had the blue part of their roundels re painted in a lighter blue for the same reason,..... because it tended to disappear against the Sea Blue Gloss overall finish!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You know what I`m like for Hurricane`s Skids!! 

Well I`m calling this one finished!

Here is the model with a Hurricane from the same unit;

41092787024_104d212e1a_k.jpgDSCF3164_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And more,...

41092778494_8f08601afd_k.jpgDSCF3169_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26941380947_f45e189531_k.jpgDSCF3155_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41092765564_0277124511_k.jpgDSCF3175_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40910729025_17ecbba88d_k.jpgDSCF3168_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27941271008_c9501da36b_k.jpgDSCF3156_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41767629982_f7f49bd450_k.jpgDSCF3148_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40910783765_bbe3bb2d87_k.jpgDSCF3145_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41809467031_84dd857d76_k.jpgDSCF3143_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40002383780_03faee632e_k.jpgDSCF3172_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27941276878_ca6bfe6d19_k.jpgDSCF3153_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheer for the encouragement along the way everybody,

All the best,

Tony        

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Yet another cracking build Tony. I like the choice of markings with the faded blue roundels, it looks great next to the Hurricane.

Stunning work as usual.

Just one small criticism, are you on a one man campaign to rid all the model shops of Airfix B25's?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cngaero said:

Yet another cracking build Tony. I like the choice of markings with the faded blue roundels, it looks great next to the Hurricane.

Stunning work as usual.

Just one small criticism, are you on a one man campaign to rid all the model shops of Airfix B25's?

Haha,...... busted!!! Well I`ve got one more on the go and then that should be me for a while,.... I always knew that I would buy quite a few of these kits when they were first announced! Cheers for the kind words!

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Well done mate another cracker for the collection.

Cheers buddy!

All the best,

Tony

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...