WW1 aircraft(see the diorama section for completed builds)

I loved building this model because I had a lot of fun coming up with a design. The backyard flyer idea put me in the same position as any builderĀ of the era before WW1, how to design an airplane that would fly using the limited resourcesĀ available? These guys were part of the pioneers of aviation too even if it was only for their passion for flying. They were also a greatĀ resourceĀ for recruitment of pilots and mechanics before and during WW1.

Edited by John W Reid
text

Ā 

I am now still researching the Flyer 2 build. I wanted to start buildingĀ the engine now as I still have the engine parts from my original flyer buildĀ that I turned into the backyard version whereĀ I only used part of the wings.ProblemĀ is I am allergic to epoxy glue and will have to wait for the warmer weather to arrive toĀ do it outside. If the new kit was here(stuck in customs) I would beginĀ the wings.

The first part of this build I will post here and then when I start the diorama part I will transfer it over there. I haven't yet decided on the theme of the diorama but I know that I don't want it to become too big like my past dioramas. Roughly my idea is this to build the aircraftĀ and the shed or part of the shed used to store the aircraft. I will build the complete wing assembly and then separateĀ it at the point where the wing splices would normally be. Parts of the aircraft will be stored in the shed or outsideĀ depending how big I want the diorama it to be. I haven't yet decided on human figures or not. In this case, I don't really think that they are necessary. If I put in figures the attention of the viewer will immediatelyĀ go there. This is ok in a large diorama as there is so much to see all at one time and you have to direct the viewer's eye to where you want it to go. Just a small amount of subtle color will be provided by a little grass etc...

This build will allow me lots of freedom to include or exclude whatever I want. Rig it all or only parts, show all the parts of the airplane finished or under construction etc...etc..Ā I will build a small mock-up before I start the diorama part in earnest after I complete the wings and cut them into sections.

Edited by John W Reid
text

I am presently researching a new build The Wright Flyer 3. The 3 is the best-researchedĀ aircraft of the flyers with lots of good detail pics available and it is not often modeled. Like with all my models I usually start with the wings because it gives me pleasure and encouragement to look at them while building the rest.

The 3 was very difficult to researchĀ because the early airplane was very different from the later version with no new number change.

I have built the wings before but I cut them short to build my Backyard Flyer which had a shorter wingspan.

Edited by John W Reid

Inhibited rotary-engine and its firewall ready for pick up after rebuilding. The airplane that it is attached to is off to Hollywood for a new career as a stunt plane in the movies.

From my diorama " Keepers of the Flame"

My Wright/Curtiss Flyer before the tail addition. Powered by a Ford engine. the wings are of a Wright design while the body is Curtiss. To a young aviation enthusiastĀ this is about all that there was available at the time.

From my diorama " The Backyard flyer"'

Edited by John W Reid