WW1 1:16 Dioramas.

I have built five WW1 aircraft dioramas over the years 2000-2016 for the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa Canada.This all came about by chance and luck, chance, because I had just stopped teaching woodcarving at the time due to illness and luck because my first diorama was seen online by a fellow artist who worked for the museum and asked me if my stuff was available for  donation with income tax relief.Of course, I was extremely happy because I had been wondering where I would keep such a large piece in my home in fact at the time I was working on an old TV cabinet that was to become its permanent home.One thing led to another and I ultimately built them five dioramas which are now on permanent display.It has been great to find a second career at sixty and make a little money too.Cheers! John.

Edited by John W Reid
  • Like 3

This was my first diorama, an Albatros in a WW1 German hangar.It later evolved into an inside-outside side diorama with flora and fauna.I was encouraged by my good friend Ken Hamilton a fellow diorama artist to give it a try when I was somewhat hesitant to do so.Thanks, Ken.

• Like 1

This was my first plan but the details changed many times over the course of the build.I don't build to plans as I find it takes all of the fun out of it.I enjoy just winging it as even I don't know the result until it is finished.When doing a large scale project like this it also helps keep up my interest in doing it.

The title reads 1919-1929 but it is still a WW1 piece as it deals with the airplane and pilots of the WW1 era.

Edited by John W Reid
  • Thanks 1

The Jenny was involved in the training of most of the WW1 pilots from Canada and the USA.This was a good thing and bad as many young pilots were not ready for the more advanced fighters at the front.A lot of pilots were killed because of this.

• Like 1

Here I am starting to work on the outside flora and fauna.Note the crashed Albatros and the top left corner of the diorama.The large hole in the roof is for viewing and photographic purposes.

Edited by John W Reid
text
  • Like 1