Buffalo Bill's Stagecoach,buiilding the model using pics.

I have contacted Model Shipways to get permission to use some of their illustrations in the instruction booklet.Still waiting for their response.At one time their complete manuals were available online.I don't know when this changed but I will see if they are still on the net.

It was from about this point on that it was scratch built.Any building beyond this point was build and then torn down to look like Buffalo Bills stage.I know that it seems like the long way around to build it up and then tear it down but I figured that is the only way to get an authentic look.when the stage was found by Bill himself in a river out west this was about all that was left.It was rebuilt at this time around what was left of the original and then he took on tour as a part of his" Wild West" shows.My stage depicts its return to the factory at Concord N.H. by Buffalo Bill himself.Unfortunately, the Smithsonian in their wisdom rebuilt it as you see it today in the Buffalo Bill museum.It is now just another re-build stage.It exists today only in my model built from four pictures.

Edited by John W Reid

The wood is a very watery acrylic stain of Nimbus Grey and Raw Umber(JoSonja) mixed with water to the consistency of about 2% milk.I like JoSonja paint from my woodcarving days as it is an absolutely flat gouache acrylic with no varnish added.Mediums can be purchased separately that you can add yourself.Do not completely cover the underlying wood grain and let some of it show through.Put the mix on with a brush in several coats until satisfied.A hair dryer can be used to speed up the drying process.

• 4 weeks later...

I built the Conestoga Wagon mostly because I liked the lines of the sides. It almost looks like a boat. Before the advent of trains, this was the main way to haul around goods in North America. There is no seat for the driver as he rode one of the horses.

Edited by John W Reid