*done* Suomi-Hurricane from Airfix in 1:72

vppelt68

Spent indeed some time and cash at my almost local FHS today.

Goodies!

Among the goodies were these little gems:

2018-04-21_05-08-14

There are two ragwing options, one in RAF DG/DE and the other one in Finnish warpaint, both with AL dope bottom surfaces. No difficulties in choosing which one, as the other one I plan to build later this year anyway in British with funny colours and markings, or whatever, GB!

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Right, started the build tonight. Here's the obligatory sprue pic first.

20180517_175528

Reference, and decals again:

20180517_175700

Superb Karolina Holda colour profiles and some b/w SA-pictures of my prototype:

20180517_175813

And in an hour and a half, I'm happy with the build session. Actually more like a paint session, but some building took place too:

20180517_210956

I have an old pot of Hu 56 which is really Aluminium, unpolished, unlike todays version which is too silverish to my taste. Oh those old tins are good forever!

20180517_211013

It isn't actually THAT dark... Br, V-P

• Like 4

... and what a superb little kit this is! Prop assembly, tailplanes and heel section (?) are just pushed in place for the pic.

2018-05-17_11-37-08

Just a dab of putty in the front lower cowling seam and in the wing to fuselage- seam.

2018-05-17_11-44-39

Now I'll get some GOOD sleep over this! V-P

• Like 5

Thank you Stix! Some minor further progress;

2018-05-20_11-16-09

The belly is now painted...

2018-05-20_11-15-27

...and the uppers first got some tan and then green in two phases...

2018-05-20_02-33-37

Which means the next big step will be gloss varnish and then decals.

Br, V-P

• Like 2

So far, there's nothing to tell you it's not going to be a typical RAF Hurricane!

2018-05-20_08-39-08

Despite the risk of silvering, I'm going to skip the clear varnish and just add the decals on the matt surfaces. So the next pics will be in the Gallery!

2018-05-20_08-39-49

Thanks to Col. and Enzo for running this show. I know Col. will be pleased to hear I'll next tackle a Seafire :thumbsup:. Best regards, V-P

Edit: Piccies indeed in the Gallery now.

• Like 4

I like the effect on the white underside. Interested to see how the absence of a gloss works as I hate gloss and I always get finger prints or microbes stuck to the surface and would like to skip. Finnish finish for this will be good to see how it changes the look.

• Thanks 1

I did indeed get some silvering, especially in the plane numbering and arrow emblem decals. But, the most negative factor was the decals behaviour on that matte surface; even with generous application of decal setting liquids they stuck instantly and were almost impossible to move around at all! And that was NOT a negative comment about the decals, which are very thin and look very good; just admitting I didn´t think thoroughly before skipping the clear varnish + matte varnish steps! Best regards, V-P 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the detail, I guess il have to stick to sticky gloss then to achieve good decals. Looking forward to seeing the Hurricane in the gallery 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...