Bleriot type aircraft of the era.

For those who may be interested this is not what the original Bleriot looked like.I will post pics here on a regular basis for those who are planning to build the real Bleriot that crossed the channel.

Edited by John W Reid

• John W Reid changed the title to Bleriot 11.Engine & Undercart details.

The above 2 pics should give me the info I need for the original Bleriot 11 configuration.If can verify the fuel tank details from another Bleriot 11 I will leave this section in otherwise I will call it a typical build of the era.This is definitely not the airplane that crossed the channel.

This is a good lesson in why it is necessary to do your research before buying.I bought this kit many years ago before I learned this lesson myself but it was such a bargain at the time that I bought it anyway figuring I could modify it if necessary.Now I know why it was such a bargain.Big mistake!

Edited by John W Reid

• John W Reid changed the title to Bleriot type aircraft of the era.

In researching the wing shape it is not the correct shape for a Bleriot wing.It too will go in the" era category" and be mounted in a frame hung from the wall along with the other flying controls, Here again, I am saving them because I like the shapes.

Edited by John W Reid

Wow, how did I miss this? This is some undertaking John! My interest in early aircraft such as this has certainly grown over the last few years, I'll be following with great interest from now on!

Well welcome to the club Clive.CheersJohn.

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

Wow, how did I miss this? This is some undertaking John! My interest in early aircraft such as this has certainly grown over the last few years, I'll be following with great interest from now on!

Well, welcome to the club Clive.Cheers John.

In my research, I have found the original  English Channel crossing Bleriot.It is in a museum in Paris.The original was damaged on landing in France.Bleriot must have it restored and gave it to the museum.Amati should be ashamed to have their name on this kit and what gets me is that the real thing is only a few hours away from Italy.Whoever manufactured it sold a bill of goods to Amati.I was lucky to have bought this at half price and I feel sorry for those who didn't.If it was Amati themselves that put it on the market as the Channel crosser with no research I hate to think of all the other stuff they make.

Edited by John W Reid
text

Here is a rare pic of the actual take off for France.There is a lot to be seen in this pic despite the quality.What really interests me is the fact that all the plans and aircraft that I have seen to date had a much thinner undercarriage wooden brace running up and aft to attach to the fuselage.Surprise!This Amati got right.