Help required in choosing next subject 1/48

Twentecable

Hi guys and gals,

For my next build I am looking for a 1/48 scale single engine plane that can be displayed with an opened radial engine. The kit should be all plastic. One option would be an Eduard Fw with a brassin engine set but I would like a cheaper plastic kit to test my painting skills. It can be any nations plane. Any suggestions?

Greetz TC

We'd all like cheap kits full of engine detail, but those don't really exist. The Eduard 190 is your best option unless you want to buy some resin or perhaps the Dragon 262 with engine detail or the Tamiya He 162 with engine, but those aren't radial engines of course.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Twentecable said:

Hi guys and gals,

For my next build I am looking for a 1/48 scale single engine plane that can be displayed with an opened radial engine. The kit should be all plastic. One option would be an Eduard Fw with a brassin engine set but I would like a cheaper plastic kit to test my painting skills. It can be any nations plane. Any suggestions?

Greetz TC

Dunno if Soviet stuff tickles your fancy, but the Zvezda La-5 and La-5FN kits both provide the option of exposed radial engine. I've built both kits and IMHO they're pretty nice.

If you want to display a radial engine, buy one of Eduard´s old Fw 190As in 1:48, those come with a fully detailed engine that can be shown. Revell/Monogram´s Me 262A in 1:48 has the option to display the left (or right) engine.

On 22-4-2018 at 03:01, Seawinder said:

Dunno if Soviet stuff tickles your fancy, but the Zvezda La-5 and La-5FN kits both provide the option of exposed radial engine. I've built both kits and IMHO they're pretty nice.

Thanks guys for all input but most probably its going to be the Zvezda La-5.

@Seawinder you got any pics of the wip or build models?

Greetings TC

34 minutes ago, Twentecable said:

Thanks guys for all input but most probably its going to be the Zvezda La-5.

@Seawinder you got any pics of the wip or build models?

Greetings TC

Hi TC. Here's the link to the La-5 page at my SmugMug site. As you'll see, I didn't build it with open engine. You can click on the thumbnails for bigger photos.

https://seawinder.smugmug.com/2014-Models/Lavochkin-La5/

FWIW, I used parts from a Vector cockpit detail set (IP and seat belts) and a Pavla vacuform canopy for the sliding section -- the kit's is very thick.

Cheers,

Pip

• Like 1

ICM's Polikarpov I-16 Type 24...a little gem in terms of detail...even a complete engine is supplied....and opens a door to paint techniques and weathering effects, plus, inexpensive to say the least..

Cheers

• Like 1