Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf D

Hamden

On 21/05/2018 at 09:42, Hamden said:

Not blaming you Bill and as for your significant other half blaming you I was led down the path of plastic getting on for 60 years ago! 

You, Dads203 and others on BM have inspired/encouraged me to try this project, so far its been fun!

Thanks to everyone who has stopped by and given encouragement i means a lot!

Roger

You keep at it Roger, it looks to me that you have a bit of a natural flair for scratch building and I’m keen to see more fella :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This weeks update work continues on the fighting compartment installing some of the ammo bins and the turret floor. I'll let the photo's do the talking...........

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you all had a great bank holiday! 

Roger

• Like 7

18 hours ago, perdu said:

This is looking brilliant Roger, are you sure you NEEDED inspiration?

Looks like natural skill combined with talent to this observer

👍

Yes I definitely need the inspiration I've always built OOB or with a few after market bits. It's your work together with others on here that has given me the confidence to try a project such as this..............................it could ALL still go pear shaped and end up in the bin!

Roger 

Not a lot done on this this week Bank Holiday Monday was spent at Duxford following CedB's foot steps by taking a flight in Classic Wings Havard Pussy Cat, may copy Ced and make a model of it to. Anyway back to the Panzer finished of the steering units and fitted them, then started to paint weather the inside before continuing with building the rest of the inside or at least what I decide to put in as its supposed to be being stripped for restoration.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to stop by

Roger

• Like 8

Looking good Roger, that interior scratch building really adds to an empty shell.

That's a great idea modeling an AFV under restoration.  I hate building a model with a complete interior and

then hiding it and your idea is another way to show it off.  I've tried doing wrecked units with blown off or partially

blown off turrets and hull tops but never seem to do anything convincing or realistic.  Needless to say those pics never ever 

make the website, LOL.

Take care,

Lloyd 

• Thanks 1

Two updates in one weekend, done a little more in the hull drivers seat frame and sticks fitted, underside of hull top half painted and weathered to match lower half and work started on the turret

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Thanks for dropping by 

Roger

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Back to this one this week. I realised that there should probably be an air filter box or at least the bottom half of one along side the engine as it looks to me that without the engine out the filter box wouldn't come out. Anyway first thing was to fabricate the bottom half of the box and then fit it into the hull. Next the engine was installed along with the back panel. 

Anyway enough rambling on from me here are the pictures.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

Thanks for dropping by

Roger

• Like 7

Two posts in one weekend almost unheard of! Managed to find an hour this afternoon so decided to work on the gun and turret. The assembly is pretty straight forward with so far good joins that require no filler. The pic: with the turret roof on only has it dry fitted as I wanted too see what would be visible once all closed up.

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Roger

• Like 7

Thanks to ALL for your comment and encouragement with this project

Spent some time on this one in between decorating!

Turret roof is now fitted and the commanders hatch has been added together with grab handles made from wire rather than the supplied plastic ones, also added is the aerial deflector on the bottom of the barrel. Attention then turned to the engine bay again with work starting on fabricating the auxiliary engine which sits along side the main engine.

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

More later many thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 8

Not much to show at the moment bench time has been limited of late.

I have made a scratch aux power unit and fitted, the suspension units added and a start made on distressing the road wheels. A start has also been made in making a final drive look a little more like the original, it won't be perfect but hopefully look better

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

Some small parts have been fitted to the hull and the turret is now in primer.

Thanks for stopping by 

Roger

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a small update on this one. First up the turret has been primed on the outside ready for ageing then the turret stand has been constructed. The pictures show the stand in component form then assembled, and lastly with the in place to check fit. The idea is that the turret will be displayed along side the hull as part of the stripping for restoration process.

Here are the pictures

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

Since these photo's were taken the turret stand has been primed and painted yellow ready for the turret to be added at a later date.

Thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 6

More work on the turret, I have started the weathering process to get  an idea what the hull will look like when completed.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Hope the weather is not being to problematic for your projects and  thanks for looking

Roger

• Like 4