Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf D

Hamden

A new project which I'm sure will take me sometime to complete. I intend to build Tamiya's 1975 Panzer IV Ausf D in a restoration scene at the stage of being almost completely stripped. To this end there will be a lot of scratch building of the interior although I have invested in CMK's 1/35 Maybach resin engine. Here are the photo's of what we're starting with.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

There is a long way to go feel free to pull up a chair and follow along if you wish.

Thanks for looking more to follow soon

Roger

• Like 11

Stix glad to have you along, please jump in if you see anything not right. This will be a long slow project which will I hope end in a diorama.

Roger

Following this with interest as I have the same kit I was given by a mutual acquaintance from a local modeller who had died before completing it.

I didn't know the chap but intend to finish it off for him. I know there is a lot wrong dimensionally with the kit (originally it was meant to be motorised), but it still looks the part in my eyes.

All the best for your build

Ben

• Thanks 1

I built one of these many years back, if I recall it includes the optional parts to do a Pz IVE, including alternative rear decking and add-on armour.   Very enjoyable build.

Started today with the hull, as the original release was motorised the fittings for the batteries and motor had to be removed and the holes in the bottom of the hull filled with plastic strip. The engine compartment bulk head has been started and the steering brake cover hatches on the front of the hull top cut out and the turret ring fitting started. Anyway enough waffle here are the pictures

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

As always thanks for taking the time to look

Roger

• Like 9

I too have this kit, I think I bought it about 35 years ago! I made a start on it, but then shelved it whilst real life took its inevitable toll. I will be watching with interest :popcorn:

• Like 1

I've built this kit as well. Simple, but nice. There is some bits missing in several areas, such as hooks for lifting, few in the commander's cupola. Replace the folding fenders springs as those plastic stuff in the model doesn't even look near as spring. I've also fit the RB MG-34 metal barrel into hull, but add some bits to it. Photos from my build (if you do not mind).

PICT0343.JPG

PICT0637.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing your build KrisB impressive workmanship. I'm not to worried about missing hooks or poor hull machine gun as I intend to have mine part stripped for restoration and hopefully in a very rusty neglected state,  at least that's the plan at the moment.

Roger 

Looking good Roger. You’ve picked a tough kit for this project. The T34 I’m working on is of the same period of production, so many moulding anomalies to take care of. I like that RB MG 34 Kris, Looks sharp, nice detail.

Keen to view the progress on this one

👌nice work 

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

Small update this week but a small amount progress. Engine compartment bulk head has had some holes cut in it for air intakes and prop shaft to transmission unit. Cross beam under the engine has been started. Pictures show the bulk, cross beam and a dry fit of bulk head, cross beam together with engine and transmission to check alignment.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Thanks for looking more soon I hope

Roger

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Very small update on this, been working on the steering units as the pics: show on the right a selection of parts and on the left one unit part assembled. Have also cut out the belly plate mounting holes in the engine compartment.

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look in

Roger

• Like 10

Another week another small update, I have now got two steering units at the same stage of construction but can't finish them until I get some more ca. The transmission now has the gear lever fitted and what I think is the power take off for the the turret traverse drive. Work on the hull has consisted of fitting the gearbox mounting rails and starting to build up the fighting compartment. Pics: show both steering boxes, some of the hull work and a dry fit with bulk heads, transmission, steering units and engine in place, note one of the engine cylinder heads has been removed and the cylinder bores drilled out.

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Thanks for dropping by and your interest in this project

Roger

• Like 8

Cracking work Roger, keep it up it’s really starting to take shape :thumbsup:

it’s amazing what you can scratch and fabricate for a few bits of plastic and as you know it gets very addictive   :)

Regards

Dan

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

it’s amazing what you can scratch and fabricate for a few bits of plastic and as you know it gets very addictive   

Thanks Dan it's your detailing together with that of @perdu that has given me the confidence to try this project 

PlaStix thanks for your encouragement as well

Roger

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hey Roger, don't blame me

:)

If my missus gets to notice it she'll say its another young life I've ruined

On t'other 'and I built this kit too once, once is enough. ;)

You are doing cracking stuff mate, I like the cut o'yer jib

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Hey Roger, don't blame me

Not blaming you Bill and as for your significant other half blaming you I was led down the path of plastic getting on for 60 years ago! 

You, Dads203 and others on BM have inspired/encouraged me to try this project, so far its been fun!

Thanks to everyone who has stopped by and given encouragement i means a lot!

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1