Kenworth Honest John Transporter

Hello all

Not exactly sure where to put this as it's a missile themed (miltary a/c?) build of a weapons delivery truck (Military vehicle?) but represents the Douglas Corporation delivery truck so I guess it's a Civilian Vehicle(?)

Whatever category it should be, I have plumped for here - if it is judged to be wrong could a Mod move it to the appropriate slot? Thanks.

So, what we have here is one of Revell's re-treads of an existing set of moulds re-cycled into some other application. I found it in the local shop with a giant reduction on it and it really appealed. A pretty old kit with much flash (even mould damage?) which builds into something that I think is only a representation of the real thing. I did not find any pics of this arrangement so maybe not accurate - but who cares!?! It's a fun build - I had a blast with it - even the engine hood opens!

Painted with a mix of White Ensign Green, Tamiya Italian Red and K-Color Chrome it is built pretty much from the box with the only refinements being the addition of glazing and some work on the roof horn for which I opened out the trumpet as it was moulded solid.

I was really looking forwards to trying out my new favourite game of using oils to create wood-grain on the shipping crates - they probably would have used new, lighter coloured wood but as I thought the missile may have been shipped in dedicated boxes rather than open sided crates, I went with something I thought would be more attractive to the eye.

Anyway, enough waffle, here are the pics - hope you enjoy as much as I did building it! C+C welcome in equal measure.

27713319988_4672e3a2d9_k.jpg

26714783857_e11497a725_k.jpg

27713318858_10a84c9305_k.jpg

41583041441_38f3f8cd7d_k.jpg

41542270842_31531ec910_k.jpg

27713316368_e09ffdf1ed_k.jpg

Thanks for looking.

ATB
Rick

• Like 12

When Airfix did their Bloodhound kit, they seem to have focussed on the missile and treated it as an aircraft; this is why, it is said, it was produced in 1/72 rather than Railway Scale - 1/76 - like their vehicles. (The SAM 2 went the other way, it seems; perhaps to fit in with the vehicle range.).

If, on the other hand, the lorry is the focus, the 'Raison d'Etre' of the build, then I would say that it's a vehicle - and an excellent rendition of an interesting subject!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spad said:

A pretty old kit with much flash (even mould damage?) which builds into something that I think is only a representation of the real thing. I did not find any pics of this arrangement so maybe not accurate - but who cares!?! It's a fun build - I had a blast with it - even the engine hood opens!

A good looking end result, and I for one am happy to see it here, but even if it didn't look so good, to my mind the bolded bit above is the most important aspect of any model

• Thanks 1

VERY clean work, particularly considering the small scale ( 1/48? ) and the age of the kit ( I suppose first released in the early sixties). I remember Revell offered a very similar kit in the same scale, namely a nice White COE with Shell tanker trailer.

• Thanks 1