1/72 Vickers Valiant Airfix

Absolutely loved building this.  A real Mojo restorer.  

OOB apart from some resin ejector seats that can't be seen and the Master pitot probes.

Hope you like it.

tn_1f24d674-d297-43c9-a5f1-36aa22308208.

tn_5dbbb1af-84ee-475d-8a82-27051c56e9d5.

WIP here...

• Like 49

I was eying one of these in my LHS the other day (even though I don't 'do' jets and the box is far too large to smuggle past the missus) and I'm glad I didn't buy it because there's no way I could as nice a job as you have.

• Haha 1

I agree with Steve.  More photos please.  You shouldn't hide your light under a bushel, it looks like a real beauty.  Interesting that there are two types on roundel on display.  I really need to dig mine out and get started on it.  What did you use for white?  It looks really authentic as well as being a beautifully smooth finish.. 

On 21/04/2018 at 11:17 AM, Meatbox8 said:

I agree with Steve.  More photos please.  You shouldn't hide your light under a bushel, it looks like a real beauty.  Interesting that there are two types on roundel on display.  I really need to dig mine out and get started on it.  What did you use for white?  It looks really authentic as well as being a beautifully smooth finish.. 

Thank you. :-)

The roundel choice was dictated by the Airfix decal sheet and backed up by my Warpaint and Osprey books.  In the early days of anti-flash the upper surface markings were kept bright as they would not be exposed.

The paint was Citadel Corax White as a primer.  Halfords White Primer dusted on, and Halfords Appliance white on top dusted on in about 4 coats of each to get coverage without being too thick.

It is a eggshell finish up close as opposed to a pure gloss.

• Like 3

Very nice, especially the dreaded all white finish!! 

I have one in he stash but am amazed by the way the kit has pretty well disappeared from the shelves.  There are still a few Nimrods out there, but no Valiants.

Thanks, I did cheat by painting the jet-pipe fairings in metalcote steel as they are meant to be white, but that would have involved a lot more masking, so I painted them steel and popped them on at the end.

That is a great looking build, with great finish At Sea, done a cracking job.

Even the kits prominent panel lines seem nicely subdued.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:02 PM, Beard said:

I was eying one of these in my LHS the other day (even though I don't 'do' jets and the box is far too large to smuggle past the missus) and I'm glad I didn't buy it because there's no way I could as nice a job as you have.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:57 PM, Lord Riot said:

Absolutely stunning! I'd love one of these! 

Looks like you need to visit the are where Beard lives, or send him a PM!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...