Ju-88

goose

Hi all,

One thing I have never discussed is the shape of the Ju 88 wing tip. Revell has clearly narrower and longer tips than either Hasegawa or Zvezda. After comparing thi to good top and bottom in-flight pictures I believe that H and Z are correct in this. Revell just looks plain wrong. And I have my suspicion that their 1/32 kit has this same problem. For me Hasegawa has much sharper engraving although Revell is more detailed especially in the office compartment. My vote to Hasegawa.

Cheerrs,

AaCee

On 20/04/2018 at 10:27 AM, Troy Smith said:

as far as I know

if you hover the mouse pointer over the abbrevation it  says this BTW. (or  it should do)

The kit answer is a good one,  but there are many variations of Ju-88,  so  if you just want a 'Ju-88'  then any of the 3 listed,  otherwise you'll need to some  research .....I know enough about Ju-88's to know I don't know much about  them!

Afaik doh! Senior moment 

On 4/20/2018 at 10:49 PM, Bigglesof266 said:

Another vote for the Revell Ju 88s. In 1/72, it's hard to beat the Revell kits in terms of the combination of fidelity and value.

.. I read 'fiddly' there for fidelity! They certainly are 'fiddly'  - 58 cockpit parts IIRC. No one has mentioned that AIMs do good replacement Jumos for both the Hasegawa and Zvezda kits..for a reason. The charger intakes and the nacelle length are inaccurate on both. I built my Zvezda G-6 with these engines, put the new Quickboost tail on ..and then took it off again as its not much better than the kit part. The Zvezda kit has an overly 'thin' wing too. I must admit to liking the Zvezda kit -  it looks good, for less than half the cost of the Hasegawa model but a bit of a compromise in that A and G variants are from the same molds...

zvestailqb.jpg

1ZvezdaJu88G6AIMSengines2.jpg

Zvezdaju88G6Lindingersun0.jpg

Zvezda G-6

and the Revell Ju 88 ..nice kit, very fiddly ! Should have cut down the gear legs a little. AIMs decals

Ju88A4Revellnewtoollower.jpg

RevellnewtoolJunkersJu88Falkeeins172scal

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

.. I read 'fiddly' there for fidelity! They certainly are 'fiddly'  - 58 cockpit parts IIRC. No one has mentioned that AIMs do good replacement Jumos for both the Hasegawa and Zvezda kits..for a reason. The charger intakes and the nacelle length are inaccurate on both. I built my Zvezda G-6 with these engines, put the new Quickboost tail on ..and then took it off again as its not much better than the kit part. The Zvezda kit has an overly 'thin' wing too. I must admit to liking the Zvezda kit -  it looks good, for less than half the cost of the Hasegawa model but a bit of a compromise in that A and G variants are from the same molds...

zvestailqb.jpg

1ZvezdaJu88G6AIMSengines2.jpg

Zvezdaju88G6Lindingersun0.jpg

Zvezda G-6

and the Revell Ju 88 ..nice kit, very fiddly ! Should have cut down the gear legs a little. AIMs decals

Ju88A4Revellnewtoollower.jpg

RevellnewtoolJunkersJu88Falkeeins172scal

Cheers for the info, must say the finishes on both are excellent, is the Revell one the new tool?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, goose said:

Cheers for the info, must say the finishes on both are excellent, is the Revell one the new tool?

Most likely - the old one had five parts for the cockpit including the spacemen crew 😉 (ok, it may have been 7..)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/2/2018 at 4:40 AM, FalkeEins said:

.. I read 'fiddly' there for fidelity! They certainly are 'fiddly'  - 58 cockpit parts IIRC.

😸 Hi FalkEins. Ahaha.. although it's the scale that makes fitting the detail "fiddly", I agree with you on that point. Especially their 88C-6 variant. But, ....where is Revell's decisional middle ground to be these days? If said detail isn't included, kit producers are criticised for a lack of included detail. Include it and it's "fiddly". "Fiddly" in my book would be assembling Airfix's Blenheim Mk I, although frustrating or awkward would possibly be the more accurate adverb and adjective for it.

The fiddliness of fitting and painting minuscule detail, especially with internally detailed 1/72 is one of the two reasons that 1/72 hasn't been my preferred scale for years, and courtesy of an advantage as well as that encumbrance of age don't have to restrict myself to it because of a pocket money budget as once was. I think the compromise middle ground is possibly how Revell produced their 1/350 Type VIIC/41 U-Boot. Kept it affordable by just plastic no etch, and buildable by including sufficient parts for suspension of disbelief for the average punter, if items such as railings et al were too thick (oversize) for scale. For those wanting more prepared to endure the fiddly fitting of etch in such a scale, there were plenty of aftermarket etch kits and at varying levels of preferred detail. I bought the detail, but understand the many who didn't go there. Regardless, done up in its warpaint, it's still a fine looking model for standoff display 'warts' included.

I don't have a Zvezda 1/72 Ju 88 to comment on its strengths and weaknesses personally, although reviews I have read of reliable folk who have and have built it uniformly refer to it as underscale?  That said, Zvezda kits from moulds of this decade have increasingly become one of my favoured brands BTW. Love their constantly improving product. Only have the single 1/72 scale kit from them in the Su-33, but it is simply phenomenal AFAIC. Their 1/48 kits, of which I have their Pe-2, La-5, La-5FN, Yak-3 (x2), Bf 109F-2 & F4, if "fiddly" in assembly, rank as outstanding in my book.  

Nice 88 builds BTW

• Like 1