Ju-88

goose

1 hour ago, goose said:

What's AFAIK 

as far as I know

if you hover the mouse pointer over the abbrevation it  says this BTW. (or  it should do)

The kit answer is a good one,  but there are many variations of Ju-88,  so  if you just want a 'Ju-88'  then any of the 3 listed,  otherwise you'll need to some  research .....I know enough about Ju-88's to know I don't know much about  them!

• Haha 1

For the bomber type, may I recommend Revell's 1/72 Ju-88 A4, it's a beautfully engineered kit that builds into an accurate model.

Should be easy to obtain, and is well worth the money, in comparison with the Hasegawa offerings that are almost double the price for the same standard.

Zvezda have a Ju-88 A4 and A5 in their catalogue, this kit is even cheaper, and has very good details as well.

For the nightfighter (G-6) in 72, you have either the good (but expensive) Hasegawa kit, or the cheaper offering from Zvezda, which is not correctly rendered (tail fin!).

In my personal opinion, I would go for either Revell or Zvezda for the A-4/A-5 bomber.

For the G-6 nightfighter Hasegawa is by far the best.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tempestfan said:

„Best“ is probably subjective - Revell gives a good affordable overall package AFAIK, Zvezda probably too, Hase is more expensive. All other kits may be happily ignored.

Indeed, should be ignored.

Revell also do a C-6 fighter based on their superlative A-4 bomber kit.  Haven't seen the Zvezda kits and don't mix in the sort of circles who can afford Hasegawa kits.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Indeed, should be ignored.

Revell also do a C-6 fighter based on their superlative A-4 bomber kit.  Haven't seen the Zvezda kits and don't mix in the sort of circles who can afford Hasegawa kits.

Can't find the Revell c6 hasegawa I get you there 

Another vote for the Revell Ju 88s. In 1/72, it's hard to beat the Revell kits in terms of the combination of fidelity and value. Stemming from new moulds created this decade, they do both the A-4 (2011) and C-6 (2013) variants. I have both. You'd be hard pressed not to be satisfied with either. Buy the variant which excites you most.

Hasegawa's Ju 88s are also good, and they do a G-6. But Has will be much dearer in the EU/UK and more difficult to source. 

BTW - I am still surprised that there is no A1, so the main version in Blitzkrieg time (inc. BoB). I have bought Zvezda A5 intending to do conversion, still not done yet...

More exothic versions like H, S, T are available from AMTech I thik still with rised lines only .

Cheers

J-W

Agree with most of the votes mentioned above. All three new toolings have their pros and cons and in my opinion it's only the matter of numbers :)

If you'd like to build the one and only Ju-88 in 1/72 it's hard to find more representative variant than A-4 (>5500 built) - then you can surely go for the Revell kit.

If you plan two then the 2nd most prolific was the G nightfighter (>2500 made with large tail, half of them with BMW radials), thus Zvezda will provide you the same shape and details (u/c, surface) for A and G.

If you'd like to portrait more of them then go for Hasegawa, where you can find almost all possible variations: Jumo-engined A bombers/C fighters/D recces, their BMW-engined R/S/T counterparts with small tails, large-tailed G fighters with Jumo or BMW engines and long-span egg-nosed Ju 188A/D/E/F (both Jumo- and BMW-engined recce and bombers).

It won't be cheap, though - but the 88 is worth of this. More of them were built than Beaufighters and Mosquitoes combined.

Cheers

Michael 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JWM said:

More exothic versions like H, S, T are available from AMTech I thik still with rised lines only

AMTech no longer trade, however their kits are available on the "pre-loved" market.  They're based on the old Italeri moundings, modified as appropriate, although they offer the Jumo211 cowls rather than the correct Jumo213.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Another vote for the Revell Ju 88s. In 1/72, it's hard to beat the Revell kits in terms of the combination of fidelity and value. Stemming from new moulds created this decade, they do both the A-4 (2011) and C-6 (2013) variants. I have both. You'd be hard pressed not to be satisfied with either. Buy the variant which excites you most.

Hasegawa's Ju 88s are also good, and they do a G-6. But Has will be much dearer in the EU/UK and more difficult to source. 

Quite fancy the c6 night fighter but can't find one 

3 hours ago, bil said:

AMTech no longer trade, however their kits are available on the "pre-loved" market.  They're based on the old Italeri moundings, modified as appropriate,

They're actually the AMT moldings,

Cheers,

Bill

I stand corrected.  The AMT kits were an "homage" to Italeri's mouldings.  AMTech in turn used AMT's modified mouldings.

For what it's worth, AMT released two (I think) boxings: a C4/C6 and a G1/G6.

Watch out for (and make sure you avoid) the two earlier Revell releases of the A4 and the C6 dating back to the late 60s.

Edited by bil
Grammar

Hi, On the aims Web sight he has a review of each kit and how a accurate each kit is. My vote goes for the new revell ju 88s, if you won't a BMW engined ju 88 you can use the sets aims had out for the amt kits. Thay need modified for the revell kit thou. I used them to build a ju 88 s-1 & a g-6 last year. The photos should still be on ready for inspection. Nick

2017-10-11_07-47-33

2017-11-16_08-52-46

2017-10-09_09-54-41

Edited by Niknak

It's true Revell A-4 is a shake-the-box kit for what it says on top - the A-4 bomber. The D-1 recce plane is also quite easy to convert from it. I just bought my third one yesterday! But I am very tempted to try the Zvezda A-5/A-17 kit next, as it gives you plenty of options for those pre-Jumo J variants. They just appear to be very hard to come by atm! V-P

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, Niknak said:

if you won't a BMW engined ju 88 you can use the sets aims had out for the amt kits. Thay need modified for the revell kit thou. 

You could also use the BMW engines and cowlings from an Italeri Ju 188, building the donor kit with either the alternative Jumo engines that come with it or the redundant Revell Jumo parts.

Or would using the ancient Italeri parts on the excellent Revell kit be making a sow's ear out of a silk purse? 

Edited by Seahawk

My Hasegawa G has both Jumo and BMW cowlings and props.

It currently looks quite affordable (~£25) on the riverine e-selling site.

Regards

Martin

1 hour ago, mike romeo said:

My Hasegawa G has both Jumo and BMW cowlings and props.

It currently looks quite affordable (~£25) on the riverine e-selling site.

Regards

Martin

Riverine e-selling? What's this?

9 hours ago, goose said:

Riverine e-selling? What's this?

A large e-sales site with the same name as a famous S American river.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Seahawk said:

You could also use the BMW engines and cowlings from an Italeri Ju 188, building the donor kit with either the alternative Jumo engines that come with it or the redundant Revell Jumo parts.

Or would using the ancient Italeri parts on the excellent Revell kit be making a sow's ear out of a silk purse? 

The ju 188 used Jumo 213 s were as the ju 88 a-4/ c-6 used Jumo 211 s the engine cowlings and radiators are different. I think only the hasegawa g-6 has both the BMW s and the Jumo engines, we're as the g-1 has only the BMW s. Nick

• Like 1

Both the Hasegawa Ju88S-1/3 and the Ju188A/E kits have both the Jumo213 and BMW801 props and cowlings.

Afaik there are at least 3 boxing of their Ju88G-6.

The Italeri BMWs lack the cooling fans.

Edited by bil
Edited for content.