Sunderland Mk.I DA-G

Wow, that is spectacular, the weathering is really impressive, the paint wear on the underside looks so realistic and the soot and lead staining over the wing is perfect.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the positive comments above.  I’d never entered a show competition till today - the Sunderland won Gold in 1/72 Aircraft.  

42465685332_72f9b6c126_b.jpg

I’m very pleased as you can imagine.

Cheers

Will

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Will,

I just now looked at your WIP and finished photos- what a magnificent job you've done with what I have heard from all accounts is a kit with a LOT of issues! As the others have said, the weathering and paintwork is outstanding, and I can only echo what the others have already commented upon regarding the weathering/staining along the hull. One question, though, as I'm not very familiar with Sunderlands, excepting what I have learned from @LDSModeller, but I noticed the exhaust associated with the #2 engine is not routed like the other three- do you or anybody out there know why this is so? At first, when I saw your exhaust stains, I thought maybe one exhaust pipe had been knocked off, but then I saw the outlet on the upper wing. Just curious! (Hoping Special Hobby gets closer to the real thing, if they ever release their kit!)

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Will,

I just now looked at your WIP and finished photos- what a magnificent job you've done with what I have heard from all accounts is a kit with a LOT of issues! As the others have said, the weathering and paintwork is outstanding, and I can only echo what the others have already commented upon regarding the weathering/staining along the hull. One question, though, as I'm not very familiar with Sunderlands, excepting what I have learned from @LDSModeller, but I noticed the exhaust associated with the #2 engine is not routed like the other three- do you or anybody out there know why this is so? At first, when I saw your exhaust stains, I thought maybe one exhaust pipe had been knocked off, but then I saw the outlet on the upper wing. Just curious! (Hoping Special Hobby gets closer to the real thing, if they ever release their kit!)

Mike

It's for either cockpit/interior heating or leading edge anti-icing heat. I can't remember exactly.

Chris

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@LDSModeller I noticed the exhaust associated with the #2 engine is not routed like the other three- do you or anybody out there know why this is so? At first, when I saw your exhaust stains, I thought maybe one exhaust pipe had been knocked off, but then I saw the outlet on the upper wing. Just curious! (Hoping Special Hobby gets closer to the real thing, if they ever release their kit!)

Mike

Hi Mike

The reason for the Number 2 engine Exhaust going through the leading edge, and popping up through the wing, is

that the exhaust goes through a boiler in the wing which in turn supplies heated air to be mixed in a device across from

the Flight Engineers Station - funnily enough called a hot/cold air mixer - was only in the Mk I and some Mk II's

This is a photo from the IWM photos, it's the big device behind the WAG sitting in the Radio Operator station.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205397545

Hope that helps

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

The reason for the Number 2 engine Exhaust going through the leading edge, and popping up through the wing, is

that the exhaust goes through a boiler in the wing which in turn supplies heated air...

Thanks! The only thing I could think of was either hot air for deicing or cabin heat; didn't really think it was for deicing, as there would be the same setup on the #3 engine...now that you've cleared this up, I can sleep tonight...I have this weird affliction whereby I obsess over trivial little mechanical details, but I have always liked to know how things work, which is why I loved the old William Green Warplanes of the Third Reich, as he always described what type of flap, hydraulic, coolant, and control system each airplane used. Back in the day when I was wanting to drop the flaps on my models, it was nice to know what kind was used- split, slotted, Fowler, etc. Thanks again for sharing your vast knowledge of the Dreaded Porcupine with the rest of us!

Mike

Really good job battling the kit, i have been tempted to build a seaplane myself just to give the waterline-weathering a go - i think what you have done is very effective, great outcome and a subject matter that is of interest having walked through the plane at Hendon!

• 2 weeks later...