HobbyBoss 1/48 F6F-3 Hellcat (rescued from the bin)

This kit was started over a year ago as a mojo restorer. Unfortunately late on in the build I made an error of judgment and decided to use an aerosol gloss directly from the rattle can. The gloss coat reacted badly with the paint and basically ruined the kit. I threw it in the bin but Mrs B persuaded me to rescue it. It sat in it's box for a year before I could be bothered to look at it again.

This is how it looked a year ago before the aerosol incident.

IMG_2822-L.jpg

...and after the attack of the rattle can.

IMG_2828-L.jpg

IMG_2827-L.jpg

Fast forward to today, painted with Colourcoats US Navy paints using Montex masks for the markings. I also added Nav lights, home made seat belts, aerials and gun barrels.

IMG_3830-L.jpg

IMG_3833-L.jpg

IMG_3848-L.jpg

IMG_3858-L.jpg

....and what it looks like behind the wings

IMG_3824-L.jpg

She turned out alright in the end and I had great fun (at the second attempt). The HobbyBoss kit might have it's accuracy issues but it's cheap and it fits together really well so other than self inflicted issues it's a fun build. I hope you like it.

Duncan B

• Like 44
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job Duncan, good to see such a successful resurrection B)

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers Stew, hopefully Jamie likes what I've done with his paints (he spends ages making them the closest match to the real paint they can be then I go and abuse them).

DB

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice rescue! :thumbsup2:

What miracles occurred between "attack of the rattle can" and "fast forward to today". Did you strip it or just rub it down? What about the transparencies, which also appeared to suffer from rattle can pox. Also, what clear-on-paint combination did such unspeakable things?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice rescue! :thumbsup2:

What miracles occurred between "attack of the rattle can" and "fast forward to today". Did you strip it or just rub it down? What about the transparencies, which also appeared to suffer from rattle can pox. Also, what clear-on-paint combination did such unspeakable things?

Good question, I didn't want to strip the paint completely (which would have been the obvious thing to do) because, a: I didn't have another set of paint masks and had struggled with the Star and Bar markings the first time round and b: I couldn't be bothered. After leaving it for a few days for the gloss coat to harden off fully I started trying to sand it back in the worst areas, this is when I really lost interest so into the bin it went. 

I used Enamel paints sprayed with cellulose on top of Alclad Microfiller/primer for this one. That all seems to have worked well enough and the initial gloss coats of Mr Color UV Cut Super Clear decanted from the aerosol and sprayed through the airbrush worked well too. The problem started when I decided to take a shortcut and spray straight from the rattle can. It flooded the paintwork and melted through to the primer. I can't blame any of the finishing products for the mess, it was down to me trying to rush things along at the end of a build.

When I did pick it up again I cut back all the bad areas with the idea I could patch in the new paint but in the end I basically went over almost everything on the top surfaces but didn't use cellulose thinners this time as they were too 'hot' and started the paint reaction again.

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a little cracker Duncan. Definitely too good for the bin and nice work on the recovery. I like the chipping and other weathering effects. How did you do the chipping?

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2018 at 6:11 PM, Nigel Heath said:

That's a little cracker Duncan. Definitely too good for the bin and nice work on the recovery. I like the chipping and other weathering effects. How did you do the chipping?

I used a sponge and added the chipping that way. I used a Games Workshop silver colour which could be washed off with water if I put too much on. I then went over some of that with the green primer colour. 

DB

• Like 1

Hello Duncan !

Great recovery of a great kit !

Congrats to Mrs B too for the saving !

I really like your Hellcat, nice weathering too !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mrs B is a good egg and sensible when it comes to judging Mr DB's efforts.

I used a sponge and added the chipping that way. I used a Games Workshop silver colour which could be washed of with water if I put too much on. I then went over some of that with the green primer colour. 

Very effective it is too. Must note that in the modelling memory banks.

• Like 2