Albatross, Get Your Albatross Here!

Silly person! If you saw my cutting mat you would soon see it was even less appropriate for the photograph!

On a more serious note, for some reason, taking pictures on the computer keyboard helps me get the focus right. Being the numpty that I am with a camera (many would argue that I shouldn't even be let near one), I need all the help I can get!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 24/04/2018 at 14:03, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

If you have FROBISHER and FORTUNA, assuming they're the same font etc, you have an F, I, O, N & A, albeit with careful trimming.

I noticed that too, although it may be "Falcon", not "Frobisher" on the civil kit so you would have to bodge the I. Shouldn't be too hard to make an "M" for the registration letters, given that you get a whole spare set to cut up...

I have a lifelong resistance to pretty much any kit over about 15 quid but this thread is sapping my precious bodily fluids...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, AdrianMF said:

... solely in that my resistance is getting weaker, I hasten to add!

That's a relief, my appetite for my tea was fast disappearing!

Martian

• Haha 4

I suspect that this is one of those "Nobody knows" questions but I will ask it anyway. Does anyone know what the insides of the wheel wells and the retraction mechanism for the undercarriage looked like? I can see the end of boxing in the wheel wells and getting the wings together just starting to loom on the horizon and need to have some sort of plan.

Martian

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I suspect that this is one of those "Nobody knows" questions but I will ask it anyway. Does anyone know what the insides of the wheel wells and the retraction mechanism for the undercarriage looked like? I can see the end of boxing in the wheel wells and getting the wings together just starting to loom on the horizon and need to have some sort of plan.

Martian

https://www.e-pics.ethz.ch/index/ethbib.bildarchiv/ETHBIB.Bildarchiv_LBS_SR01-01416_230396.html

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/248120260704687270/?lp=true

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/how-was-this-inline-aircraft-engine-cooled.58197/

if you have not already found these.  None really help.

Tim

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tim and Rob. I was aware of the pictures, although there was some good stuff on the engines I hadn't seen. At best I guess I am hoping that someone has something that has not been posted on the interweb, more likely I will be in the position that I will have exhausted all possible avenues and will feel OK at making a best guesstimate for the detail.

Martian

• Like 2

I thought I had better post something of what I have been at over the last few days, just to show I have not gone quiet. Unlikely I know but it could happen.

I have to start with a bit of a heads up for those planning to build this kit. Valom provide parts to cement just behind the wing leading edges that are intended to blank of the intakes for the radiators. An admirable plan except that they are too deep and prevent the wing parts closing up. I only noticed this when I went to test fit the upper wing surfaces and have ended up spending a lot of time carefully filing them back. I am not quite there yet but am getting very close. I would advise replacing the parts with ones made from plastic strip and fitting them one at a time. To try and find which of the kit parts are not fitting and where has been a lesson in frustration. Still, now I have discovered that for you, you won't be making that mistake.

Another mistake I made was to use the kit part for the wheel well roof as a template for a larger plastic card replacement. Mistake! I didn't notice that the part was not wide enough. This has led to my having to graft extra pieces of card to the ends of the part and then trimming it back so that it fits the fuselage sides. 

I have also added some plastic card supports for the front of the centre section where it meets the fuselage. This area is not the greatest fit and will need some extra strength to cope with the filling and sanding that this area will be subject to. All this aside, I feel that I am not that far from being able to close up the wings and get on with cleaning up those lovely leading edge intakes, a job that I have been so looking forward to!

Post Image refusing to copy and paste so Flickr images instead

Thanks for looking Martian

• Like 8

Very nice Martian and worth all the pain IMHO.

Typical Valom eh? Lots of fiddling but, in the end, a nicely detailed model of an unusual subject. Hopefully :)

• Like 3

Thanks Ced. I'm not overly worried about having to fettle things to fit. I bought the kit in the full knowledge that it is a limited run kit that I am going to have to work at and as long as I can see a way round issues then I am fine about it. If this were a mainstream kit however, I would be doing my nut by this stage.

I am very worried about my being able to upload to Postimage but unable to copy and paste to the forum though as, although I have got Flickr to work, Postimage has been much more user friendly thus far.

Concerned of Mars

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't get this Martian, it has been behaving impeccably since Mike re-scripted the forum database

Are you doing it with a PC or a handheld device?

I sometimes have trouble convincing Android that yes, I do want to copy and paste but every time I copy out of postimg.cc it behaves itself

I notice that postimages.org is running now as the major URL link, might be worth a playtime

I find Flickr to be very clunky in operation, I won't be going there again

😮

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Great work so far fella. I can't wait to see this built. 

I would love to get one of these but will be saving instead for the three most wanted models that I need instead.  The Airfix 24th Mossie and Typhoon and the 32nd Special Hobby Whirlwind. I intend not to be distracted from this goal so will just be content to watch this build instead. Good news for me is SWMBO is aware and happy to let me get them.   Showing her the thread at the beginning really worked wahoo.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Haha 2

Handsome work honored Consul on that additional plasticking 🙇‍♂️ (that's a 'man bowing' emoji btw but looks more like 'head being pecked by blue tits'...)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Hi Martian

Thank you so much for making the cock ups old bean....saves the rest of us ! .........seriously though i always enjoy your threads and look forward to the next instalment 

Well done so far

Cheers

• Like 1

Blue tits....

No missus, don't titter

Titter ye not please

Oh suit yourselves

The 'tross is coming along very nicely 😇

I keep thinking that the 'wooden look' is very tempting, I remember a Mosquito that Garth made in very light wood veneer

It was tremendous, won many a Prix de Jour too

If you need some custom decallinging let us know do, young Consular gentle-alien, we can sort something out if you can cut out the outlines from white transfer paper

• Like 3

Nicely done Oh great consul, vice admiral of the galactic fleet and occasionally beer monster !

You did great on your seabird ! That's the fun of the short run kit but you seem to overcome the inconveniences with "Panache" !

Brilliant ! really 8

CC trying to behave himself

t'will not last long... I fear ...

Sincerely.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I am very worried about my being able to upload to Postimage but unable to copy and paste to the forum though as, although I have got Flickr to work, Postimage has been much more user friendly thus far.

Just stick with Flickr, it is so reliable and easy to use, I've been using it for close to 10 years (when I binned off PhotoBucket) and have never had a problem with it.

Lovely work on the 91 Martian, nice to see all the extra work starting to pay off.  Looking at the wing on the laptop, surprising how big it is.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, perdu said:

I don't get this Martian, it has been behaving impeccably since Mike re-scripted the forum database

Are you doing it with a PC or a handheld device?

I sometimes have trouble convincing Android that yes, I do want to copy and paste but every time I copy out of postimg.cc it behaves itself

I notice that postimages.org is running now as the major URL link, might be worth a playtime

I find Flickr to be very clunky in operation, I won't be going there again

😮

It worked fine for me but today it didn't want to know. I will try having another go to see if the gremlins have cleared themselves.

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work so far fella. I can't wait to see this built. 

I would love to get one of these but will be saving instead for the three most wanted models that I need instead.  The Airfix 24th Mossie and Typhoon and the 32nd Special Hobby Whirlwind. I intend not to be distracted from this goal so will just be content to watch this build instead. Good news for me is SWMBO is aware and happy to let me get them.   Showing her the thread at the beginning really worked wahoo.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Happy have been of service!

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Handsome work honored Consul on that additional plasticking 🙇‍♂️ (that's a 'man bowing' emoji btw but looks more like 'head being pecked by blue tits'...)

Thanks Tony.

5 hours ago, Norman said:

Hi Martian

Thank you so much for making the cock ups old bean....saves the rest of us ! .........seriously though i always enjoy your threads and look forward to the next instalment 

Well done so far

Cheers

Glad the cockups are of assistance!

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Blue tits....

No missus, don't titter

Titter ye not please

Oh suit yourselves

The 'tross is coming along very nicely 😇

I keep thinking that the 'wooden look' is very tempting, I remember a Mosquito that Garth made in very light wood veneer

It was tremendous, won many a Prix de Jour too

If you need some custom decallinging let us know do, young Consular gentle-alien, we can sort something out if you can cut out the outlines from white transfer paper

Thanks Bill, I may well take you up on that.

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Nicely done Oh great consul, vice admiral of the galactic fleet and occasionally beer monster !

You did great on your seabird ! That's the fun of the short run kit but you seem to overcome the inconveniences with "Panache" !

Brilliant ! really 8

CC trying to behave himself

t'will not last long... I fear ...

Sincerely.

No Alain, Beer Monster first and foremost. I thought I had conclusively proved that to you!

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Just stick with Flickr, it is so reliable and easy to use, I've been using it for close to 10 years (when I binned off PhotoBucket) and have never had a problem with it.

Lovely work on the 91 Martian, nice to see all the extra work starting to pay off.  Looking at the wing on the laptop, surprising how big it is.

Thanks James, I too was surprised at the size of the aircraft.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Maybe he just has very small tentacles...

Don't put your inadequacies on this Martian Mrs! Back on mars I am known as the Big Boy and its not just my beer belly they are talking about either, so there!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sure you did ! And you did it twice !

Melchie remember it too !!

I'll came up with a larger panel of beer references for SMW 19 !

Just for tasting and gustatives trials obviously !

I'm know fan of the Triple Karmeliet (used to complicated love affairs) And it's a blonde one !

But it has some voltage character !

Sincerely

CC

Edited by corsaircorp
correction
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sure you did ! And you did it twice !

Melchie remember it too !!

I'll came up with a larger panel of beer references for SMW 19 !

Just for tasting and gustatives trials obviously !

I'm know fan of the Triple Karmeliet (used to complicated love affairs) And it's a blonde one !

But it has some voltage character !

Sincerely

CC

I will still defeat your efforts to get me squiffy.

Gallon Guts of Mars

• Haha 1