Albatross, Get Your Albatross Here!

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

You're kidding us

You've been back to Mars for your Winter Holidays. I hope you're feeling guilty leaving us to suffer....

….. your lack of modelling reports :bangin:

Good to see you back at the bench

Kev

Thanks Kev, it was tempting to stay on Mars, much cooler there,  but I began to miss the standard of encouragement . abuse one finds on BM which is second to none throughout the known universe. I therefore decided to drop by while your planet has reverted to slightly more sensible temperatures

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Nice, neat work on the undercarriage. And welcome back - there is more liquid water here than on Mars, and that can mean just one thing. Real ale!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nice, neat work on the undercarriage. And welcome back - there is more liquid water here than on Mars, and that can mean just one thing. Real ale!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, as to the real ale, I am more than happy to concede that that is one thing you Earthlings are especially good at.🍻

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today is cooler in Poole than the weather forecast predicted so I decided to start getting the main colours applied to the fuselage interior. For some time I have been beginning to suspect that no two Albatross had the same finish internally. As no colour pictures of the interior are likely to surface anytime soon, even supposing they ever existed in the first place, it was down to educated guesswork. I finally settled on a light grey cabin with a dark grey floor. It appears that at least one machine had the crew areas finished in a dark colour so I plumped for the same dark grey as I used for the passenger cabin floor. The "kitchen" area was finished in white. Valom would have us finish the seats in a "reddish brown" colour. Implying leather seat perhaps? The pictures I do have of the cabin clearly show the seats to be covered in some kind of hop sack material and to add a bit of colour to the internals, I chose to paint these red.

Next I removed the masks from the insides of the cabin windows, in the main these have worked well apart from one window that need a small amount of extra polishing on the inside.

That's all for tonight folks. The paint should be dry enough by tomorrow evening for detail painting of the interior to begin, your dreadful climate permitting.

Thanks for looking, beer o'clock methinks.

Martian 👽

061.jpg

060.jpg

059.jpg

058.jpg

• Like 16

I've so warmed to this aircraft seeing the fine fist you're making of it Martian - them legs and innards are quite sublime!

Glad to hear you've been experiencing some cooler weather.

Each time you mention that blasted Albion Alloys cutter I go momentarily puce with envy however... :laugh:

• Like 2

Ah ! My favourite alien is back at one of his project ! Good to hear from you again !

Belated happy Birthday to your Lady !!

Great undercarriage, I really enjoy your modelling way !

Very inspiring, Thank you !

I wish I could also have 5 tentacles.... Working on 2 kits at the same time... 🤔 Could be great !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

Seconded !!

CC

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I've so warmed to this aircraft seeing the fine fist you're making of it Martian - them legs and innards are quite sublime!

Glad to hear you've been experiencing some cooler weather.

Each time you mention that blasted Albion Alloys cutter I go momentarily puce with envy however... :laugh:

Thanks Tony. I'm sure Albion Alloys will be more than happy to sell you a Cutter. They are a bit expensive but they very soon pay for themselves in terms of money saved on wastage.

15 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice to see this back 

Roger

Thanks Roger.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Ah ! My favourite alien is back at one of his project ! Good to hear from you again !

Belated happy Birthday to your Lady !!

Great undercarriage, I really enjoy your modelling way !

Very inspiring, Thank you !

I wish I could also have 5 tentacles.... Working on 2 kits at the same time... 🤔 Could be great !!

Sincerely.

CC

The number of projects you have on the go, you need 50 tentacles not five!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Martian Hale said:

The number of projects you have on the go, you need 50 tentacles not five!

Martian 👽

:rofl2: You are absolutely and definitely Right my Dear Martian !! 

Remind me of an Irish motto listened to in pubs "Oh God, you're not fair, I got 2 hands but just one mouth !!"

Noticeably, I mention the tentacles for modelling only....:whistle:

Great interior detailing ! I agree with red leather seats ! This seem to be the "Must be" of the time being.

Currently fitted on restored Dragon rapide...

Great job as usual ! :partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Great interior detailing ! I agree with red leather seats ! This seem to be the "Must be" of the time being.

Thanks CC. The seats were definitely cloth though. I decided to go with red as the colour simply to brighten up the insides. Initial indications are that quite a bit will be seen through the cabin windows, most likely due to the extra light being let in by the roof transparencies.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Despite the return of the heatwave, I have managed to get some bite sized sessions in on the build. This has mostly been concerned with getting some of the detail painting done on the interior. I have painted the lamps and handles in the cabins and to give them a real 1930s look, I did them with a chrome paint pen. I have given the tables a wood finish and coated this with a thin coat of Humbrol polyurethane gloss. This seems to be the best for adding depth to the wood finish. I have also touched in the little labels that go above each seat. The fuselage sides have had the curtain rails done in chrome and the ducting for the air-conditioning painted in a different tone of grey. In some pictures it seems do be definitely lighter than the rest of the fuselage.

I have re-painted the sets in a darker shade of red so that I can use some of my lighter reds for highlighting purposes..

I think that is enough for today as I am beginning to melt again. ♨️ Next up will be to touch up any imperfections and to make a start on the detail painting of the seats. That done, it will be time to start fitting out the flight deck and adding those curtains to the passenger cabins.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👾

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 12

On 8/4/2018 at 2:16 PM, Martian Hale said:

Despite the return of the heatwave, I have managed to get some bite sized sessions in on the build. This has mostly been concerned with getting some of the detail painting done on the interior. I have painted the lamps and handles in the cabins and to give them a real 1930s look, I did them with a chrome paint pen. I have given the tables a wood finish and coated this with a thin coat of Humbrol polyurethane gloss. This seems to be the best for adding depth to the wood finish. I have also touched in the little labels that go above each seat. The fuselage sides have had the curtain rails done in chrome and the ducting for the air-conditioning painted in a different tone of grey. In some pictures it seems do be definitely lighter than the rest of the fuselage.

I have re-painted the sets in a darker shade of red so that I can use some of my lighter reds for highlighting purposes..

I think that is enough for today as I am beginning to melt again. ♨️ Next up will be to touch up any imperfections and to make a start on the detail painting of the seats. That done, it will be time to start fitting out the flight deck and adding those curtains to the passenger cabins.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👾

image.jpg

Trust you to go for the red light district 😋

Tim

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Fishbed said:

Trust you to go for the red light district 😋

Tim

Come on Tim, you and me have always known that I am a bit of a slapper so you can't pretend to be surprised.

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Interior is looking stunning Martian.   

Can't wait to see the interior when the seats are detailed too 

Very nice 

Keepup the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, the seats are just waiting on the fresher weather we have been promised for later this week.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Just.

Lovely.

That looks so atmospheric now with colours going on: I can almost see Poirot twirling hos moustachios in one of those seats!

Thanks Tony.

Martian 👾

• Like 1

This is looking wonderful - I built the AIM vacform yonks ago - the article is in SAM Volume 22/8 October 2000 - although now you will all know my real name - coyses!!

The Valom kit looks to be slightly easier to build although I still have another AIM kit in the stash , calling softly to me, "come and build me Horatio!" I believe there is an interior shot in Aeroplane Monthly June or July 1990. Keep up the amazing work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Norman said:

Nice work Martian very nice work, have you finished sewing the curtains and fabricating the actual curtain rods yet ?  

Thanks Norman. The curtain rods are already in place in the fuselage. The curtains themselves are to be cunningly fashioned from some cigarette paper I was given, which I then not so cunningly proceeded to put in a "safe place" so as not to lose them. No prizes for guessing what happened then. :doh: I had better get off my elbows and find it soon or I won't be able to button up the fuselage.

3 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

This is looking wonderful - I built the AIM vacform yonks ago - the article is in SAM Volume 22/8 October 2000 - although now you will all know my real name - coyses!!

The Valom kit looks to be slightly easier to build although I still have another AIM kit in the stash , calling softly to me, "come and build me Horatio!" I believe there is an interior shot in Aeroplane Monthly June or July 1990. Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks Horatio. I never had the AIM vacform so I can't speak for it's buildability or otherwise. The Valom kit so far seems pretty buildable with the caveat that one accepts that a degree of fettling will be needed and that one is prepared to proceed slowly and methodically. Would I build another Valom kit? On the basis of how things have gone so far the answer is a definite yes.

Martian 👾

• Like 1

Very nice, Martian, these these civilian builds on BM increasingly of major interest to me.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by DMC
delete an extra “these” few
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Very nice, Martian, these these civilian builds on BM increasingly of major interest to me.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.  I have a bit of soft spot for the interwar airliners. Many moons ago I built the Maquette Vickers Vimy commercial kit and have a Roden DH4 passenger kit in the stash which keeps calling me to build it.

This morning I began to do the detail painting on the passenger seats and got as far as getting three of them installed in the cabin. I quite like the way they are tuning out so watch this space for more news in the near future.

Martian 👾

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, perdu said:

Interesting paint tray Martian

Is that the new and out-in-time for Telford Airfix Bucc S1 &S2 multichoice-er?

;)

The Albatros is screaming out for closure and externalising

Its just something I have been paying around with on and off. You know, folding wings and stuff...…..

The Albatross will have to scream until I have finished the passenger seats. I have made a start on their detail painting but each seat takes quite a bit of time to do properly. I would imagine that they will be finished on Thursday. I then need to get the flight deck finished but I don't anticipate too much trouble with that though.

Martian 👾

• Like 1
  • Haha 1