Albatross, Get Your Albatross Here!

On 10/19/2018 at 1:46 AM, Martian Hale said:

I didn't have too much trouble getting the wings to stick so it sounds like you have a duff part there. As for the sanding and polishing, there's no way round that. It just needs a lot of time and patience. Mind you don't damage those inboard intakes as a certain Muppet of this parish managed to do. Cleaning up the extra scratch marks from the repair without damaging the replacement intakes really has set my build back to the point she might not make Telford this year.

Martian 👽

Not sure if it's a duff part, or merely duff technique on my part! The wings weren't an issue itself, it was that center lower piece with the wheel wells that confounded me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dear tentacled one !

Have a gtreat time at SMW !

I'm on my service car this year 😓

Sayin' that I would have prefered be up there in Telford is a great understatement !

Enjoy and have a good beer on my behalf !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Thanks CC, I had a great time and followed your instructions viz a viz beer. I hope to be back on this and other projects this Thursday. Things have been slow on the modelling front over the last few weeks as I have been preparing for my coxswain's assessment with the MVS. I can now reveal that I was promoted last Saturday.

Captain Martian 👽

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks CC, I had a great time and followed your instructions viz a viz beer. I hope to be back on this and other projects this Thursday. Things have been slow on the modelling front over the last few weeks as I have been preparing for my coxswain's assessment with the MVS. I can now reveal that I was promoted last Saturday.

Captain Martian 👽

Congratulations that man! :goodjob:

Terry

• Thanks 1

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 05:11, corsaircorp said:

Wonderfull Dear Mar... Sorry Cap'tain Martian !!

Congratulations !!  :partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, we must see what we can do about some sort of remission of sentence in the naughty corner. That would of course be based on good behaviour!

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:59, perdu said:

Captainship...

I take it that the enhanced station gives more power influence over erratic 'engineers' skipper

Which would be nice

We tend to have a full and frank discussion, followed by everyone agreeing that I am right after all: well they agree on the grounds that they don't want to be flogged. :whip:

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:42, Navy Bird said:

Congratulations, Captain! There's nothing like moving up a pay grade or two.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I now get paid the same as our head of unit...bugger all! 

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Well done Martian, well deserved! Aye aye… :) 

Cheers Ced, it nearly killed me doing it but it means a lot to me. Its slightly bitter/sweet though as I wish my ex-RN Uncle who was best friend and a second father to me was still with us to see it.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

I've missed a big chunk of this build martin. The kit bx art does little to convey the gracefull lines of the aircraft. Shame! I do like the cabin interior, well done.

Colin

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

I've missed a big chunk of this build martin. The kit bx art does little to convey the gracefull lines of the aircraft. Shame! I do like the cabin interior, well done.

Colin

Thanks Colin. Some more will be getting done tonight and tomorrow.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

Anything new Martian?

Bench time has been extremely limited since Telford as I am responsible for organising a refit on one of our MVS launches. Despite my attempts to ensure the tail planes were secure, I managed to dislodge them, how I know not. This was not all bad as I took the opportunity to reset them at the correct dihedral. I have begun to clean up the mess that this left. I am slowly getting there in my attempts to get the areas around the inner intakes cleaned up and polished. This is taking some time as I have no desire to have to replace them yet again. I plan to turn my phone off and lock myself in the Marian cave over Christmas and the new year and get some Martian time in for a change, no MVS, no nothing, just some good old fashioned modelling.

Martian 👽

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Turning the phone off is the best way to increase productivity!

Cheers,

Bill

Problem is that Mrs Martian is the unit secretary!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Bribery sometimes work or feign illness. :wink:

Stuart

I can't afford Mrs Martian's minimum bribe level for a day, let alone keeping it up continuously.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Problem is that Mrs Martian is the unit secretary!

Martian 👽

Aouch ! You're caught !!

May be a Martianapping with the whole stash...

Hiding in a good pub and making some plastic...

Until the arrival of the cops...:rofl2:

Sound great !!

CC

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:01 AM, Martian Hale said:

We tend to have a full and frank discussion, followed by everyone agreeing that I am right after all: well they agree on the grounds that they don't want to be flogged. :whip:

Martian 👽

I shudder at the thought of being flogged by a Martian Captain - all those tentacles!- :worry: - congratulations on the promotion

CJP

• Haha 2

Inspired by @John Aero's contribution to this thread, I got up really early this morning to get some more done on this build before anyone could put any embuggerances in my way. A quick coat of primer over the seams that I have been worrying about showed that a quick polish should have them ready for paint. I sanded the tail plain joints down but had to run some more CA into the starboard side this seems to be taking an age to set and I am guessing that it is beginning to go off so a quick trip to my LMS seems to be in order later today to replenish stocks of the same. In hindsight, I think the next Valom kit I build, I will use good old fashioned tube cement for the principal joins on the model and accept the longer setting time in return for stronger joints.

The penny dropped that I had forgotten to do something about the light in the nose. Valom provide a clear part but neglected to put anything behind it. Accordingly, I glued a scrap of plastic card to the end of some plastic tubing, trimmed it to shape and inserted the whole into the aperture which I had enlarged to take account of the external diameter of the tube. This will be trimmed to match the nose contours and painted black before a Little Cars lens is dropped into place. Little Cars lenses will also be used on the wing leading edge landing lights.

The pictures are not the most exciting ever taken but that is down to the nature of the work that has been taking place.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

093.jpg

094.jpg

092.jpg

• Like 12