Albatross, Get Your Albatross Here!

11 hours ago, Norman said:

Okee Dokey then

So the windows........how and when will you install these Martian , no doubt you have a cunning plan

The cunning plan is to install them  directly after fitting the curtain fixings. Not very cunning really is it?

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Well knowing you from what I've seen on this site I'd say yes.......it is most likely a cunning well thought out plan , and one i am keen to see unfold

Good luck

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Norman said:

Well knowing you from what I've seen on this site I'd say yes.......it is most likely a cunning well thought out plan , and one i am keen to see unfold

Good luck

Then see it unfold or possibly unravel you shall!

Martian 👽

On 6/4/2018 at 3:06 PM, Martian Hale said:

That's easy when you have extra pair of eyes on the top of your head !

Oh thank God those were eyes... 

On 6/4/2018 at 11:47 PM, Martian Hale said:

can't see how I can better @TheBaron's technique on his Boxcar build.

Much as I'd like to claim credit Martian the cigarette paper was - as in so many things - an @hendie suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Much as I'd like to claim credit Martian the cigarette paper was - as in so many things - an @hendie suggestion.

I stand corrected.

Martian  👽

On 6/4/2018 at 10:38 AM, Martian Hale said:

Planet Mercury, a place that does not spin on it's axis so that one side is boiling hot so that beer would evaporate immediately and the other so cold that it would freeze in an instant!

So, its be a fine line between getting roasted & freezing yer gooleys off, doesn't sound like somewhere I'd want to go for the hols. :(

Steve.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, perdu said:

There's a fair few regular miscreants in the pictures Ced took at Telford

No prizes for names...

Weren't you one of the usual suspects?

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Weren't we trying to get a model built somewhere? Yes, I remember! I decided that after all it might be easier to get the cabin windows fitted before the curtain fittings so as to prevent my clumsy tentacles knocking them off as I tried to fit the windows.

The kit parts fit reasonably well, being just a tad on the loose side. Having masked off the inside faces of the transparencies, Tamiya quick setting extra thin cement soon saw the windows securely attached. One could leave the windows as fitted and get a more than reasonable result but the odd miniscule gap here and there were bugging me. Fortunately I have a cunning plan for such situations (you were right after all Norman).

Satisfied that the windows were sufficiently cured, I proceeded to smear a layer of thin CA over them. As soon as this had set, I then proceeded to sand the windows until they were completely flush with the fuselage exterior. Once this was achieved, I micromeshed the windows through progressive grits down to 12,000. This was followed by a vigorous polishing with Novus polishing fluid using the Dremel with a polishing wheel attached. Although I would not recommend this process to anyone who harbours any doubts whatsoever as to their ability to bring the clear parts back to their original clarity and lustre, I feel it has improved the overall look of the model and as such well worth the effort.

Hopefully the pictures show what I have been waffling on about. The shine on the fuselage has made t somewhat difficult to photograph so please feel free to ask any questions about the process.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

041.jpg

040.jpg

039.jpg

• Like 14

Just two pieces of very shiny plastic...

Migod don't they look beautiful just like that

Yes Martian I am indeed there, the one of whom it must be said " Bill you look exactly like your dad from that angle"

Scary isn't it, I'm growing into my old dad as I get more and more worn out...

Of course the redheaded Morrigan was hiding my more 'handsome' bits from the camera, I know this is true

Ced didn't have to buy himself a new camera

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

Just two pieces of very shiny plastic...

Migod don't they look beautiful just like that

Thanks Bill, fourteen bits of very shiny plastic as it happens but I felt it important to illustrate this step to show that with a bit of care and taking things very slowly, it can be done. If at any time I found myself starting to speed up with fitting the windows, I forced myself to walk away from the model for a while as I did not want to risk breaking the clear parts or, as I very nearly managed, losing some to the carpet monster. Very much a case of "slowly, slowly catchee Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Trall" or whatever your Earthling equivalent of the saying might be.

Martian 👽

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You did WHAT??!! CA over the windows? Good grief, that's very brave...

But the results speak for themselves - lovely, flush, shiny windows.

Stored for future use, thanks Martian :) 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

I have to agree. However, a friend of mine has just discovered the hobby of pen turning. Using CA dribbled on and polished while the barrels are spinning on the lathe is the recognised method of sealing and varnishing. Colour me surprised, as I wouldn't have thought to use the stuff for varnish. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CedB said:

But the results speak for themselves - lovely, flush, shiny windows.

Stored for future use, thanks Martian :) 

Thanks Ced, it is important to do the sanding and polishing before the CA is fully cured and is still relatively soft. Otherwise one has to sand much more aggressively and run the risk of the clear plastic crazing or cracking.

4 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I have to agree. However, a friend of mine has just discovered the hobby of pen turning. Using CA dribbled on and polished while the barrels are spinning on the lathe is the recognised method of sealing and varnishing. Colour me surprised, as I wouldn't have thought to use the stuff for varnish. 

Thanks Heather, I didn't feel very brave the first time I tried it even though logic told me that it should work. Even now and knowing the technique does work, I am somewhat apprehensive each time I layer on the CA. I too would never have thought about using CA as a varnish though..

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Very nice and shiny! Even the fuselage I see! :) 

Interesting method, I'll try to remember! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice and shiny! Even the fuselage I see! :) 

Interesting method, I'll try to remember! :)

Håkan

Thanks Hakan,.

Martian 👽

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Satisfied that the windows were sufficiently cured, I proceeded to smear a layer of thin CA over them.

Equally amazed as those above!

Most impressed with this idea Martian, and even more impressed that you have taken the leap of faith and proved it can be done. Its always nice to see others explore such methods and succeed, and I will try it one day ............ when I'm feeling especially brave!

Terry

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Equally amazed as those above!

Most impressed with this idea Martian, and even more impressed that you have taken the leap of faith and proved it can be done. Its always nice to see others explore such methods and succeed, and I will try it one day ............ when I'm feeling especially brave!

Terry

Thanks Terry, it is a technique that needs to be tried with a responsible adult to hand. Hang on, where are us lot going to find one of them from?

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hello Martian,

Thanks for the tip and your Bravery under adverse conditions !

Martian Model Warrior Medal for you ! Such an award will surely be delivered by Martian HQ !

Don't you fear about the painting with such a highly polished fuselage ?

Whatever, it's a shiny work ! Congrats !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Good point CC. I may prime with Mr Surfacer with some lacquer thinner added. That should bite into the surface a bit. Alternatively, I might prep some spare plastic and see how that works with the various primers I have to hand, I suspect that Halford's auto primer will cut the mustard as well. Fortunately there won't be much masking needed so I'm pretty relaxed about it. Following my experience with the SH-34, Stynylrez will definitely not be getting a run out this time!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 6:26 PM, perdu said:

There's a fair few regular miscreants in the pictures Ced took at Telford

No prizes for names...

Stop teasing and do share.

Thanks for that tip with CA Martian.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Stop teasing and do share.

Thanks for that tip with CA Martian.

You're welcome Richard.

Usual suspects? Lets see, as far as I can remember the Baron was there, General Melchett, Longshanks, Perdu, Corsaircorp was lurking with his bin bag full of Belgian rocket fuel and Ced, EXFAAWAU was about somewhere as well. Is that a motley enough crew for you? Apologies to anyone I may have missed but I had been drinking with CC and a Martian's appetite for the falling over juice is legendary throughout the known universe. :beer:

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The redheaded bird hiding my mush, just left of Tomoshenko will possibly do me harm for calling her a bird

Serious bodily harm

I wore Blue, Tomo wore gre Claret

No further references to Casablanca available...............

• Haha 3