Albatross, Get Your Albatross Here!

11 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great progress Prosthetic Martian Jeltz, nice work on the underclottage bays. Sorry to hear you're feeling sub-par at the moment old sausage, perhaps you should seriously consider Tony's offer of a plate of restorative oysters. Now that you're a fully qualified Golgafrincham B-Ark captain a bit of R&R out on the ocean waves might well be the ticket, mind you, oysters and ocean waves.......heave to :sick:

I'm OK General, just worn out having exceeded the recommended level of weekly heavy activity by a factor of four in as many days while doing the course. At the moment, if I never see an ocean wave again it will be too soon! Sadly, living as I do n Poole, that's going to be a bit difficult. Added to this, I just got back from meeting CedB and Navy Bird at Hendon, to find I have copped for a last minute duty on the boats on Bank Holiday Monday, just when I thought I had the whole weekend off. Bugger!

Done in of Mars 👽

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Glad you got back OK Martian and really good to see you today - hope you’re not too tired after all that driving...

I missed the titillation, rats :wicked:

As well as the RAF Museum we also made ‘the Pilgrimage’

Navy Bird and the Martian!

Bill (Navy Bird) and the Martian :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Glad you got back OK Martian and really good to see you today - hope you’re not too tired after all that driving...

Great to see you Dear ETI !

And Navy Bird too !

Don't you forget about this very important detail of your Albatros internals !

fa98027b048ed1077efbd106bbf4b01f--vintage-airline-vintage-travelbe6a96fbc24c58e6eae15ec4c0607d53

This one is for the color references ...

Mmmmh, Still I'm in the nasty corner !

Take care of yourself my friend !

Can modelling being considered as a rest ?? IMHO it will !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sooo, Navy Bird has crossed the pond !

What a great idea ! Sometimes I must consider to get a home in U.K

Will work for AA, I can ask my boss for a Squadron exchange...

Have a good modelling time !

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

Its very good to see that you three got together

You know what, I have driven past Hannants many times but only once managed to see it from the outside and each time I have looked for it afterwards I missed seeing it

Its to be hoped that Hendon lived up to its 'press' in the 100th Anniversary year and I hope Bill enjoyed it

The Martian does look very tired...

Keep well old alien buddy, I see Ced was doing his "No, nobody wants to look at the 'tographer" bit as usual

Good photo, I'm having that in my file

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

It was fun in spite of the awful traffic both ways.

42 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Great to see you Dear ETI !

And Navy Bird too !

Don't you forget about this very important detail of your Albatros internals !

fa98027b048ed1077efbd106bbf4b01f--vintage-airline-vintage-travel

This one is for the color references ...

Mmmmh, Still I'm in the nasty corner !

Take care of yourself my friend !

Can modelling being considered as a rest ?? IMHO it will !

Sincerely.

CC

I think I have got a stewardess figure somewhere. In the unlikely event that I can find it, I think I will make use of it.

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Its very good to see that you three got together

You know what, I have driven past Hannants many times but only once managed to see it from the outside and each time I have looked for it afterwards I missed seeing it

Its to be hoped that Hendon lived up to its 'press' in the 100th Anniversary year and I hope Bill enjoyed it

The Martian does look very tired...

Keep well old alien buddy, I see Ced was doing his "No, nobody wants to look at the 'tographer" bit as usual

Good photo, I'm having that in my file

Indeed I was tired and even quiet at times! but it was still worth the effort to meet up with Ced and Bill.

Exhausted of Mars 👽

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Quiet

?

Oh well, if you say so...

Take care, tell you what I promise to drive the Midget into Poole in silent running mode next month on my way to board the mighty Barfleur

Let you get some kip

• Like 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Quiet

?

Oh well, if you say so...

Take care, tell you what I promise to drive the Midget into Poole in silent running mode next month on my way to board the mighty Barfleur

Let you get some kip

Well, quieter than I normally am.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Since we last spoke, I have bitten the bullet and made a start on fitting out the passenger cabin of the Albatross. Work began by removing the resin seats and tables from their casting lugs and getting them cleaned up ready for use. The seats just needed their bases sanding flat but I decided to pin the tables to the cabin floor for a stronger grip. Accordingly, they had their bases drilled out and brass pins from Albion Alloys' stock inserted. They look a bit wonky in the picture as they are only dry fitted at the moment.

Next up was to tackle those cabin lamps which I have to confess had been worrying me. When I come across problems like this, I tend to take a lot of time thinking about how to solve them and then going over the proposed solution any number of times in my mind before actually getting stuck into constructing anything. This usually proves beneficial to me and this time was no exception. The process went very smoothly and only really took a long time due to the tiny pieces involved.

I began by drilling a hole nearly all the way through some Evergreen plastic rod (other brands are available) and then carved the end of the rod to a rounded off cone shape. I then inserted a small length of brass rod into the hole and set the whole thing aside to cure. The next step as to carefully glue the mounting plinths for the lights onto the appropriate bulkheads and drill a hole through the centre of each one. The light assemblies were then glued into the holes on the mounting plinths and there we have one set of cabin lamps. I think I will finish them in a nice chrome finish to try and reflect a bit of the fashion in interior décor of the period. I am unsure whether to bother with the overhead luggage racks as I am far from clear as to whether they will be seen or not. The curtains are another uncertainty as they seem to draw back beyond the windows and will not show through the passenger windows. Still there is plenty more to be getting on with while I ponder that particular conundrum.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 19

I hadn't caught up with this thread for a bit, quite a saga, with all the ingrediants of a good soap opera, drama, worry, joy, friendship, nuns, wrens, hosties & some great modelling thrown in as a bomus :) , on the debit side a big hole in my "reaction" quota :( .

The cabin is looking exquisite Martian, they didn't stint themselves did they? I really must get off my arrass & track one of these down.

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I hadn't caught up with this thread for a bit, quite a saga, with all the ingrediants of a good soap opera, drama, worry, joy, friendship, nuns, wrens, hosties & some great modelling thrown in as a bomus :) , on the debit side a big hole in my "reaction" quota :( .

The cabin is looking exquisite Martian, they didn't stint themselves did they? I really must get off my arrass & track one of these down.

Steve

Thanks Steve, my threads never seem to be straightforward. As to the kit, if all else fails, I'm sure the big H will oblige . 

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice work on those lamps Martian - they must be tiny!

Looking very good from here :) 

Thanks Ced, I had gone a bit cross eyed by the time I had finished them.

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oo ooooh nice work on the cabin Martian the lamps look wonderful. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, the lamps came out better than I had expected. They're not perfect by any means but they are better than the blobs supplied in the kit.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

Two seats to pre war Lisbon, Paris or Zurich for me and the Beautiful Wife, please, Martian.  Mine’s a martini she’l Have a Champagne cocktail.

Nice work Martian.

Dennis  

Edited by DMC
Spelling
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Two sears to pre war Lisbon, Paris or Zurich for me and the Beautiful Wife, please, Martian.  Mine’s a martini she’l Have a Champagne cocktail.

Nice work Martian.

Dennis  

Thanks Dennis, I'm not sure if I can make 1/72 drinks, however, you have got the Martian brain wondering if he could make realistic glasses to scale. :hmmm:Send me the ingredients and I'm sure Mrs Martian will be happy to run some tests on the liquid side of things. 🍹

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

If your Albatross is sat on the deck, I rather doubt liquid refreshment would be on the cards. Don’t forget, unlike modern airliners, this aircraft sits tail down, so spillage would definitely occur, or servings of short measures.

So, while it’s a nice idea, and I would like to see how you might tackle creating scale glassware, I doubt it would be appropriate in this case. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic stuff there Martian, especially those lamps. Do they work :whistle:.

My thoughts exactly, oh and where are the switches? 😂

Really great to see this progressing Martian.

\

Terry

• Haha 1

Have a look at HO gage railroad accessories, Martian, might find something interesting there. 

Cheers

Dennis 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Have a look at HO gage railroad accessories, Martian, might find something interesting there. 

Cheers

Dennis 

Yes Dennis is on to something there.  Very nice lamps there Martian.  Was just looking at these for on/ho carriages.  

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/working-table-lamps-lamps-and-settings-pullman/

• Like 1

:bandit:Very good job on lamps Dear Martian.

Kay's remark seem right ! In a tailsitter, you'd better have the bottle

Although there can be some spillage…. After a certain lots of bottles :rofl2:

Soooo, My turn to ask now "What about a Half Eaten sandwich ??" :bandit:

Very nice work Indeed, especially when it come to 1/72 !!

Take care and make models

I will do that this evening !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Kay's remark seem right ! In a tailsitter, you'd better have the bottle

Although there can be some spillage…. After a certain lots of bottles :rofl2:

Soooo, My turn to ask now "What about a Half Eaten sandwich ??" :bandit:

What is it with you about food and drink in builds...:giggle:

• Haha 1