Albatross, Get Your Albatross Here!

Hmmm Martian ....You said ''As a .....Good......Australian'' Hmmmm well I'm only first generation Australian from solid Norfolk ( U.K.) stock ....but I do understand the need to remain hydrated following hard work and to balance one's mind with appropriate alcohol pain numbing agents

So I forgive and understand, keep up the good work

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Norman said:

Hmmm Martian ....You said ''As a .....Good......Australian'' Hmmmm well I'm only first generation Australian from solid Norfolk ( U.K.) stock ....but I do understand the need to remain hydrated following hard work and to balance one's mind with appropriate alcohol pain numbing agents

So I forgive and understand, keep up the good work

Ale and Tramadol, an unbeatable combination! :drunk::pardon:

Martian the Painless 👽

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Ale and Tramadol, an unbeatable combination! :drunk::pardon:

Martian the Painless 👽

Forget Tramadol and have another Rochefort 10°

Same effect but natural production, already forget how good it was ?

Blue Chimay do it too, as Tripel Karmeliet,

The only side effects are boxes of bombers searching for a target in your head when you wake up !

I told you Soooo !

Sincerely

CC the helpfull:rofl2:

• Haha 2

Ale and Tramadol, an unbeatable combination! 

Nonsense Martian, a mere pick-me-up....what you need is a few licks of remifentanil and half a bottle of Old Moorheads Shredded Sporran...works for me every time and you can call me Susan if it isn't so!

Congrats on passing your Gay Slipper exams, have you warned the local coastguard and air-sea rescue yet? 

Good choice of kit old fella, lovely looking kite just a shame it used to break in half a bit, still, it made exiting the aircraft in an emergency a breeze.

Must admit to having a soft spot for Valom kits as they are invariably interesting subjects,  with a bit of patience, forward planning and a big lump hammer they come together rather nicely.

Now crack on with it, I think I spotted some plastic about five pages back.

• Haha 4

I am checking this topic every hour since you started😱 I am looking forward to every new photo you upload because I bought this kit today and it´s one piece of hardcore model to build, but still only possibility to build this beauty today  👍

I wish you good luck with this Albatross!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Nonsense Martian, a mere pick-me-up....what you need is a few licks of remifentanil and half a bottle of Old Moorheads Shredded Sporran...works for me every time and you can call me Susan if it isn't so!

Congrats on passing your Gay Slipper exams, have you warned the local coastguard and air-sea rescue yet? 

Good choice of kit old fella, lovely looking kite just a shame it used to break in half a bit, still, it made exiting the aircraft in an emergency a breeze.

Must admit to having a soft spot for Valom kits as they are invariably interesting subjects,  with a bit of patience, forward planning and a big lump hammer they come together rather nicely.

Now crack on with it, I think I spotted some plastic about five pages back.

Thank you General Susan. Bit of a typo there? On second thoughts, knowing you probably not!

This is the first Valom kit  I have actually worked on and I would very much liken it to a vacform with the bits cut out for you. So far it is going together better than I had hoped and thoughts are already turning to the Bombay, Albemarle and Wellesley kits I have in the stash. Particularly the Bombay.

Talking of cracking on, I seem to recall talk of Lady Melchett making you a uniform for Telford My costumier has promised me that off the shoulder flying saucer number you said would suit me. Some more pictures of plastic to follow these ramblings. 

42 minutes ago, Andrew.S said:

I am checking this topic every hour since you started😱 I am looking forward to every new photo you upload because I bought this kit today and it´s one piece of hardcore model to build, but still only possibility to build this beauty today  👍

I wish you good luck with this Albatross!

I can't model quite that fast but am happy to have you on board.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So my tinny or three turned into three pints of cider, five pints of ale and a couple of cherry brandies. However, upon discovering that I was still alive this morning, I finished off the initial cleaning up of the wing and engine assemblies. As luck would have it no actual model filler was required, just a bit of gap filling CA here and there. There are some intakes on top of the inner engine but they kept getting in the way and the definition of them wasn't that great so I decided to lose them. I also decided to get rid of the blobs that pass for hinges on the ailerons as these were proving more trouble than they were worth.

The trailing edges of the wings have now been thinned down and cleaned up. I should have mentioned that the plastic on this kit is slightly textured, doubtless as a result of the limited run nature of the kit. As a result all the main airframe parts need a good polishing before any paint is thrown at the thing. I have started this process now as it will facilitate access to some of the more awkward areas of the model.

Next up, I think we can start adding some detail to the wings and engines. It will be nice to start getting some lovely white plastic card on the model.

Hopefully that keeps the General and our impatient Antipodean happy for a bit and thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

So my tinny or three turned into three pints of cider, five pints of ale and a couple of cherry brandies.

Crumbs, a drink held in each tentacle!

Excellent progress with the Albatross, nicely cleaned up wing and nacelles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Crumbs, a drink held in each tentacle!

Excellent progress with the Albatross, nicely cleaned up wing and nacelles.

Thanks James. It was very hot here yesterday and as @Norman quite rightly pointed out, it is important to keep re-hydrated!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

Well done! :thumbsup:
How does the engine cooling goes together? Is that part problematic?

The engine cooling is via the large intakes on the leading edge of the wing. On the kit these line up very well. I used them as the datum from which to glue the wing parts together. Clean up looks like it will be minimal.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

Nice progress with the 'flying wing' Martian and it's always good to keep 'hydrated'.

I have never been noted for being knowingly dehydrated! 

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

So far it is going together better than I had hoped and thoughts are already turning to the Bombay, Albemarle and Wellesley kits I have in the stash. Particularly the Bombay.

This is indeed good news from the front... I've built the Albemarle, Harrow and Hampden and have the RF-101C, Bombay and RB-45 all waiting in the wings. They went together without too much drama really....mind you the Mach 2 Argosy is my yardstick, so make of that what you will...(a yardstick probably!).

Hopefully that keeps the General and our impatient Antipodean happy for a bit and thanks for looking.

I can't speak for our Antipodean inpatient but that bit got used up quite quickly, I need a little more...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

This is indeed good news from the front... I've built the Albemarle, Harrow and Hampden and have the RF-101C, Bombay and RB-45 all waiting in the wings. They went together without too much drama really....mind you the Mach 2 Argosy is my yardstick, so make of that what you will...(a yardstick probably!).

I can't speak for our Antipodean inpatient but that bit got used up quite quickly, I need a little more...

We are going to have to be a patient little General, aren't we?

23 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Ooh, bits of white plastic! 

🤤

Come on, where are they?

Ian

Give me a chance! The white plastic will be making an appearance in the next update.

Events so far seem to have confirmed my decision to start with the wings first. Getting them sorted is by far and away the hardest part of the kit to get right and it is better to get them sorted n the first flush of excitement of a new kit rather than further down the road when we are starting to flag a bit. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the wings and am feeling better about the kit than I was when I started. (Martian's thought for the day)

Martian 👽😑

• Like 6

White plastic? I see none! are you just teasing us? or what?

And is it my ancient eyes or are those pics out of focus? a cause for that could be YOU were out of focus when taking them? due to alcohol-induced decrepitude?

I do trust you didn't drink any water when consuming alcohol? I did once and never again I was hungover for days, it took me a while but I worked out it was the water that did it, remember all sorts of things are in the water! 

And finally, a bit of leeway on my Antipodean in-patient status It's not bloody easy hanging on at the bottom of the planet we have to eat drink sleep AND model upside down ya know

Cheers Marty from Downunder 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Might it not be easier to sort out the taper of the nacelles before detaiing the wing?  :shrug:

I'm not going to be doing much to the nacelles, I just want a reasonably quick build and as we all know, I am prone to things getting out of control.

16 minutes ago, Norman said:

White plastic? I see none! are you just teasing us? or what?

And is it my ancient eyes or are those pics out of focus? a cause for that could be YOU were out of focus when taking them? due to alcohol-induced decrepitude?

I do trust you didn't drink any water when consuming alcohol? I did once and never again I was hungover for days, it took me a while but I worked out it was the water that did it, remember all sorts of things are in the water! 

And finally, a bit of leeway on my Antipodean in-patient status It's not bloody easy hanging on at the bottom of the planet we have to eat drink sleep AND model upside down ya know

Cheers Marty from Downunder 

Evil Child! :chair:

"Next up, I think we can start adding some detail to the wings and engines. It will be nice to start getting some lovely white plastic card on the model."

Martian 👽

PS: No water was harmed during yesterday's events.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

General Susan !!

Can't forget that and it can explain a lot !

Why Susan, sue would have fit too and there's a good song about it !

Very good work Dear Martian !

Sincerely

CC

• Haha 1

Apparently, I am an evil child

Blimey he knows my Mother !!!!!!!

Arrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhh next stop Antarctica ( i thought Australia would be far enough away) 

The Horror The horror

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Norman said:

Apparently, I am an evil child

Blimey he knows my Mother !!!!!!!

Arrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhh next stop Antarctica ( i thought Australia would be far enough away) 

The Horror The horror

Nowhere is beyond the reach of the Martian and his bluglecruncheon!

Martian the Merciless 👽

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

General Susan !!

Can't forget that and it can explain a lot !

Why Susan, sue would have fit too and there's a good song about it !

Very good work Dear Martian !

Sincerely

CC

Thanks CC, this General Susan thing could run and run. It kind of suits him don't you think?

Martian 👽

• Haha 2