Albatross, Get Your Albatross Here!

aah yes, sanding. I know all about that, from my own personal Battle! Although I find it strangely relaxing, unless I'm trying to thin down oversized kit wings and swamp myself with plastic dust.....

Looking good though, seems to fit together very nicely for a vac!

Ian

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, Martian Hale said:

Thank Roger, I think though that the look of the finished model will be more down to the designers at De Havilland than anything I can achieve.

Martian

You are far too modest (a trait of the denizens of the red planet?), Martian, I follow your builds and am aware of what you are capable of. 

Dennis

• Like 3

1 hour ago, massimo said:

:rofl:This is what i call "optimism"!!!

Never seen this bird, and it really looks nice!

How many projects have you got going???:clap:

OFF TOPIC:

BTW these new emoticons are killing my laptop. Every time I put one...it takes ages and after that I can't add anymore text. I have to send and then edit the message!

I have been round the modelling block too many times to be wildly optimistic any more. These days I assume the worst and if I am proved wrong its a pleasant surprise. Builds on the go? About seven I think. Still, they will all get there sooner or later; well, later if I am being honest but they will get there.

Don't seem to be having any issues with the new emoticons here other than the fact that the new alien one seems to be a tentacle or three short.

37 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

aah yes, sanding. I know all about that, from my own personal Battle! Although I find it strangely relaxing, unless I'm trying to thin down oversized kit wings and swamp myself with plastic dust.....

Looking good though, seems to fit together very nicely for a vac!

Ian

Thanks Ian, it doesn't take Mystic Meg to work out that getting swamped in sanding dust looms large in my Bank Holiday plans!

14 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work! Looking good! :)

Håkan

Thanks Hakan.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

You are far too modest (a trait of the denizens of the red planet?), Martian, I follow your builds and am aware of what you are capable of. 

Dennis

Never have had much confidence in my builds. I don't know why but I haven't? :unsure: I have always had the feeling that I am going to be found out at any moment.

Perplexed of Mars 👽

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I have always had the feeling that I am going to be found out at any moment.

Caught green handed?

Ian

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, limeypilot said:

Caught green handed?

Ian

Well, green tentacle anyway.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Never have had much confidence in my builds. I don't know why but I haven't? :unsure: I have always had the feeling that I am going to be found out at any moment.

Not on this forum Martian, all the builds I've seen of yours are great!

Nice work on the intakes and wings (from what I can see). A bit more sanding and you'll be there, I'm sure :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Not on this forum Martian, all the builds I've seen of yours are great!

Nice work on the intakes and wings (from what I can see). A bit more sanding and you'll be there, I'm sure :)

Thanks Ced but it still feels like it. Its most likely a manifestation of the depression I have suffered from for most of my adult life and when that enters the field all logic goes out of the window.

Anyway, hopefully I can finish off the initial clean up of wings and engines tomorrow and have any necessary filling done by bedtime. Already for that getting smothered in sanding dust that I have been so looking forward to.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Quietly please..don't want to get @perdu too excited :wicked:

Albatross starting to look the part now.

Thanks Richard. I should have thought fettling with a large flat file would have been Ced's cue to get excited!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

Ooooh Martian what a lovely job your doing

Please work faster and supply more pics and entertainment, happiness you know for some of us is measured by the amount of time between your pics n posts

Mine arrived late last week and I do so love the look of the Aircraft and I gotta tell you it's taking all my willpower to not start the thing as I have umpteen others on the taxiway

More more more !!!!!!.............please

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

Ooooh Martian what a lovely job your doing

Please work faster and supply more pics and entertainment, happiness you know for some of us is measured by the amount of time between your pics n posts

Mine arrived late last week and I do so love the look of the Aircraft and I gotta tell you it's taking all my willpower to not start the thing as I have umpteen others on the taxiway

More more more !!!!!!.............please

No pressure on me then! The next update will be when I have got the wings and engines cleaned up but I am sure there will be plenty of banter in the meantime. I am on MVS duty tomorrow afternoon so I'm not sure how much will get done tomorrow. Sorry if I don't model fast enough but I get my best results by thinking things through and proceeding slowly and methodically. That said, I do want get to the stage where things are cleaned up sufficiently to have any necessary filling done by the end of the holiday.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

O.K due to consideration being given to your past performances you are excused

I will attempt to be patient................hmmmmmmm

So when will be your next pic/post ???????

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

for most of my adult life

Be assured dear Martian that there are many of us who understand what you say from experience and sympathize. I'm certain that one day the grownups will rumble me but for now, there's always Britmodeller - of which you are a steadfast feature.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Norman said:

O.K due to consideration being given to your past performances you are excused

I will attempt to be patient................hmmmmmmm

So when will be your next pic/post ???????

Thank you o great and patient Antipodean! 

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Be assured dear Martian that there are many of us who understand what you say from experience and sympathize. I'm certain that one day the grownups will rumble me but for now, there's always Britmodeller - of which you are a steadfast feature.

Thanks Baron. As for being a steadfast feature, that's a relief as none of the sane forums out there would have me. Can't think why?

Martian 👽

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Seconded !!

When I look back, I turn back and get forward on the double !!

What is a wonder, is that I'm still alive and almost kicking.....

Don't know what's happening but I can't post images from Flickr, Just the day on which I tried to explain to Pierre how to do it....

Murphy...??? Come on boy and don't you matter about my .44, it's for the flies....😈

Great DH Dear Martian !

I feel the same, when the modelling seem to stall a bit with work that's not evident, I'm bored too

The problem is that, I did'nt like to be bored, so I put my mitts on another kit...

That explain the number of WiP and my own little MASDC...

Dear tentacled one, in matter of painting, what's the difference in between Silver doping and NMF??

Moreover for an Aircraft mainly made of wood ??😛

Silver or NMF, the sanding must be pristine in each case... I presume...

Sincerely.

CC on his evening work week😓

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

The problem is that, I did'nt like to be bored, so I put my mitts on another kit...

We had noticed! I tend to worry how I am going to keep all you Guys entertained when I get to one of these tedious patches. The Starfighter is a good case in point. I am happily plodding on with cleaning and polishing, whilst at the same time worrying that things are boring for the people following the thread.

The difference between NMF and Silver doping is that NMF shows all the different shades of the different types of metal used on an aircraft and silver doping involves spraying a uniform coat of silver over the entire airframe as was done in real life. You are correct about the need for a flawless finish but that is what we should be trying to get to with any finish. Silver doping is slightly more forgiving than NMF as the final finish has a slightly flatter look about it so it is not quite so prone to show the slightest of blemishes. I however, will be playing safe and trying to get as smooth a finish on the plastic as I can.

Good to see that you are using your late shift at work productively!

Back at the Martian cave, I have got the starboard engines cleaned up but then copped for an extra MVS patrol tomorrow morning. The really daft thing is that I volunteered for it within minutes of getting back totally done in from today's patrol! :banghead:In view of my serial volunteering, Mrs Martian says that I am Poole MVS' answer to Dad's Army's Corporal Jones. There are many in the unit, your scribe included, vying for the role of Private Godfrey; we all continually need to be excused!

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear my favourite Martian

What silver shade paint are you going to choose to be blessed and honoured with covering your stunning creation? when the time comes

If I may be so bold as to suggest Tamiya XF 16 Flat Aluminium, I have used it on my feeble modelling attempts on Airframes such as Vampires and Meteor's it will fill minor scratches and sands easily and touch's up well too!

As regards being a Private Godfrey rendition you are in good company on this forum let alone in the real world!

Cheers 

the duly martian dubbed great and patient Antipodean! 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

We had noticed! I tend to worry how I am going to keep all you Guys entertained when I get to one of these tedious patches. The Starfighter is a good case in point. I am happily plodding on with cleaning and polishing, whilst at the same time worrying that things are boring for the people following the thread.

The difference between NMF and Silver doping is that NMF shows all the different shades of the different types of metal used on an aircraft and silver doping involves spraying a uniform coat of silver over the entire airframe as was done in real life. You are correct about the need for a flawless finish but that is what we should be trying to get to with any finish. Silver doping is slightly more forgiving than NMF as the final finish has a slightly flatter look about it so it is not quite so prone to show the slightest of blemishes. I however, will be playing safe and trying to get as smooth a finish on the plastic as I can.

Good to see that you are using your late shift at work productively!

Back at the Martian cave, I have got the starboard engines cleaned up but then copped for an extra MVS patrol tomorrow morning. The really daft thing is that I volunteered for it within minutes of getting back totally done in from today's patrol! :banghead:In view of my serial volunteering, Mrs Martian says that I am Poole MVS' answer to Dad's Army's Corporal Jones. There are many in the unit, your scribe included, vying for the role of Private Godfrey; we all continually need to be excused!

Martian 👽

Hey dear Alien !

Take care of yourself ! we need you here !

Don't get too exhausted, the risk is suffering from a partially deflated trusset !:cheers::rofl2::rofl2:

Thanks for the NMF explanations...

Oh ! Good news ! there is one more Fonderie it since Pierre has downloaded its Halifax !

Sincerely !

Have a good night ! Full of nice Dreams like Admiral Martian making some slalom in between the icebergs with an overpowered version of the Titanic

Saving private Rose or things like that !

Re- Sincerely.

CC Evil child null

• Haha 1

I've been following along quietly, but thought I'd chime in to say that I always enjoy your builds Martin, the modelling is top notch, the banter is splendid.....What's not to enjoy?  :coolio:

FWIW

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Norman said:

Dear my favourite Martian

What silver shade paint are you going to choose to be blessed and honoured with covering your stunning creation? when the time comes

If I may be so bold as to suggest Tamiya XF 16 Flat Aluminium, I have used it on my feeble modelling attempts on Airframes such as Vampires and Meteor's it will fill minor scratches and sands easily and touch's up well too!

As regards being a Private Godfrey rendition you are in good company on this forum let alone in the real world!

Cheers 

the duly martian dubbed great and patient Antipodean! 

I most likely will be going with the Tamiya XF 16 on the doped areas and Alclad polished aluminium for those areas that were left natural metal.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

I should have known the Martian would be well up on paint matters!

Ahhhhhh any new pics or are you still patrolling for U boats in the channel?

Cheers

• Haha 2

Hi Captain Martian 

Hope you are recovering well from your MSE duties.  

Great looking aircraft. I thinned the trailing edge of one of the wings on my Oxford but then it wouldn't match the wing root. So in the end I built it back up with a  slither of plasticard.  I learnt my lesson from that.  And test fit and tape together like you.  That way you can hold it up earlier and make plane noises too !!!

Keep up the good work 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Norman said:

I should have known the Martian would be well up on paint matters!

Ahhhhhh any new pics or are you still patrolling for U boats in the channel?

Cheers

I have just got back from a very hot and very tiring patrol. Now, as a good Australian, I'm sure you will understand that my next priority is a cold tinny or three followed by a bit of a zizz.

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Captain Martian 

Hope you are recovering well from your MSE duties.  

Great looking aircraft. I thinned the trailing edge of one of the wings on my Oxford but then it wouldn't match the wing root. So in the end I built it back up with a  slither of plasticard.  I learnt my lesson from that.  And test fit and tape together like you.  That way you can hold it up earlier and make plane noises too !!!

Keep up the good work 

All the best 

Chris 

As luck has it, the trailing edge of the wing fillet is completely solid so a new scalpel blade will soon sort that out.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

So that's where I left it!

3 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Strapped in for the ride.

Glad to have you along, although with @CedB following the thread, I might have phrased it slightly different than that. He does get overexcited you know.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 2