Trumpeter new tool Avro Vulcan

thepureness

Well, Trumpeter better get this one right, otherwise the inflated egos will come out online and there will be a lot of huffing and puffing. It will only take a few too many rivets per square inch and Trumpeter will let themselves down and sales will fall flat. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/21/2018 at 10:39 AM, fightersweep said:

Well, Trumpeter better get this one right, otherwise the inflated egos will come out online and there will be a lot of huffing and puffing. It will only take a few too many rivets per square inch and Trumpeter will let themselves down and sales will fall flat. 🤔

Fightersweep, you're right on the money. Chinese manufacturers get flak which is way out of proportion. I think it's a subconscious superiority complex personally.

Three guesses who's gonna get some flak now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MarcV said:

Chinese manufacturers get flak which is way out of proportion. I think it's a subconscious superiority complex personally.

In some places, I have seen Chi-Com comments on Hyperscale,

but the recent Trumpeter record on British subjects is abysmal, and the flak is deserved....

examples

At least these have otherwise available decent kits,  not so for the Vampire, DH Hornet/Sea Hornet,  Spiteful/Seafang etc etc

@MarcV  I don't know how long you have looked at the site before joining, but regarding Trumpeter, and research, or lack of it,  as Trumpeter makes good kits, as in they are well engineered and fit well,  8 years ago a Trumpeter employee joined here, and posted this

note pages or positive feedback, and corrections and suggestions,  

end result. 

NOTHING.

no changes. no use of information supplied.  Trumpeter could have had their research done properly basically free if they had followed this.

Song went to work for Kittyhawk later

So, hope springs eternal.....  but the track record is not good

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Never a truer word said in jest.

There are a few "experts" with rather sensitive egos. Frankly, if I were a manufacturer's designer used to, say, mostly doing the CAD for ships and tanks I would not be able to distinguish between the truly knowledgeable and the walter mitty types when it came to aircraft. Moreover, there might be moulding limits imposed by cost ceilings, so that some shapes are simplified for what is, let's face it, toy manufacture. We, as modellers, get a kick out of rendering these toys into accurate miniatures.

If this is indeed a Vulcan in a double digit scale, it's got to be a good canvas on which we can exercise our art.

Tony 

• Like 1

So, IF this rumour turns out to be true AND this is an actual kit in a proper scale (anything bigger than 1/144 and, smaller than 1/48:lol:), I wonder just how many of the Trumpy bashers will refuse to buy it on principle? After all, a new tool Vulcan is supposed to be THE kit that every modeller is allegedly screaming out for? Putting my cynical hat on for a moment, I do however wonder that if, the Vulcan was the absolutely guaranteed, sure fire ,best seller people are convinced it will be then why are manufacturers not falling over themselves to produce kits of same? (cynical mode off!)🤔 

Allan:tease:

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

I would not be able to distinguish between the truly knowledgeable and the walter mitty types when it came to aircraft. Moreover, there might be moulding limits imposed by cost ceilings, so that some shapes are simplified for what is, let's face it, toy manufacture. We, as modellers, get a kick out of rendering these toys into accurate miniatures.

This is not intended as a personal attack, but did you read the last thread I linked about the Spiteful/Seafang,  there was information posted by many members, including the late Edgar Brooks,  who a quick peruse of various forums, both modelling and historical, would have shown he was a real expert (a phrase he derided BTW

the 'Walter Mitty' types are easy enough too weed out,  it's about data,  you either have or not. 

I linked the thread as it was a classic missed chance.

Trumpeter do not "simply some shapes"  but get them entirely wrong, so much so that rendering them in an accurate miniature becomes a major undertaking.

This should be blindingly obvious when Airfix have got all the basic shapes and details right in the Sea Vixen and Defiant, and Special Hobby have in the Albacore.   I'm amazed that they haven't just copied the above kits, or at least looked at them,  looked to see the lack of wailing and gnashing off teeth about them on forums like this, and been 'inspired' by them.

This is simply shoddy research, classic 'garbage in-garbage out

Even on the most basic perusal of photos should be enough to see that the markings are laughably bad proportion wise on the reviews I linked, let alone the rest.

I have no 'bias' against Trumpeter, they have done some excellent kits, and I have stated many times I am amazed they have not shrunk down the CAD work for their 1/24th Hurricane, apart from having recessed rivets, it's one of the best kits in any scale of the subject, and even 'as is' done in 72nd and 48th, outclass any of the existing kits (the forthcoming Arma Hobby Mk.I may change that)

It should be noted Trumpeter have even messed up aircraft they have to examine, like the MiG-21 F-13

I say this as my only bias is against sloppy research, yes, it can be tricky, but it's not that tricky. 

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

I wonder just how many of the Trumpy bashers will refuse to buy it on principle?

Then they are fools.  Plenty of them in the world.  Anyway, wait and see.  Might be good, but the track record recently suggests it won't.  

Is there any connection to Great Wall Hobby?  I have not seen any major problems noted in their 1/144th kit.

• Like 1

Agreed. There is no excuse for sloppy research, especially in this day and age where most information is available instantly. Also, I would never rely on one set of plans either...always cross examine the information. I do find Trumpeter an enigma. It's either very right, as Troy suggests with the superb Hurricane, or just plain wrong. It really is quite baffling, but I imagine it must lie with the CAD stage research somewhere.

Of course, it isn't just Trumpeter. Look at the difference between the Revell 1/32 Spitfire IIa and the P-51D Mustang. There is really little comparison between these two kits. The P-51D is a superb kit for the price and accurate as far as I can tell, the Spitfire is, well..........

Steve

• Like 1

There are around 151 new items in the 2017/2018. Trumpeter catalogue..

Most of em are not aircraft..

That is a prolific release schedule if 1/2 of it happens.. It also doesn’t include Hobby Boss which is an affiliate.

Love em or loathe em they now have an enormous back catalogue of kits and are a significant modelling brand. All in a relatively short space of time.

In fact Chinese companies have a growing influence on the hobby as they become increasingly prolific.

I think the reality of a Vulcan kit is no matter who does it. Getting everything 100% correct for all interested parties is a difficult ask.

Hopefully if this one eventuates it’s nicely rendered and more or less correct.

22 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

After all, a new tool Vulcan is supposed to be THE kit that every modeller is allegedly screaming out for?

The impression I get is that a new tool Airfix Vulcan is THE kit.

I've previously built the old one but if another company brings out one to today's standards then I'd buy it, regardless of where they're from. With the improvement in my skills and knowledge since my Airfix Vulcan build more than 15yr ago I'm sure I could do better...however if I found myself in the market, and reviews suggested a Trumpeter Vulcan was "good" I'd go for it.

And then curse my luck when Workbench announces the all-singing all-dancing Airfix kit when I'm decalling!

• Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 6:28 AM, Troy Smith said:

In some places, I have seen Chi-Com comments on Hyperscale,

but the recent Trumpeter record on British subjects is abysmal, and the flak is deserved....

examples

<..............................SNIP......................>

end result. 

NOTHING.

no changes. no use of information supplied.  Trumpeter could have had their research done properly basically free if they had followed this.

Song went to work for Kittyhawk later

So, hope springs eternal.....  but the track record is not good

The 1/48 DeHavilland Hornet/Sea Hornet series and the 1/48 Westland Whirlwind also got very poor reviews, and then there is the Vampire (...the horror, the horror...!).

The 1/24th and 1/32nd Spitfire Vs were very poor. By the time they did the 1/32 kit, which copied the errors of the 1/24th version even though many people had pointed them out.

The kits of British subjects that were good: 1/72 and 1/48 Wyvern (MonoChrome did the research for them), the 1/72 and 1/48 Wellingtons are sound, although there are people who hate the overdone fabric covering effect, the 1/72 Gannets are acceptable. Finally, the 1/24 Hurricane series is very good; so much so that it is a shame they weren't scaled down to 1/32, 1/48, and 1/72.

• Like 1

I'm mostly familiar with Trumpy's 1/32 offerings and, yes, the corrective work required on some (e.g. Su-27, Lightnings, F-14s) is extensive and expensive. But there are other kits with a lot of plastic (e.g. Swordfish, MiG-29s) which are quite wonderful.  If they do do a double digit scale Vulcan I have a lot of confidence it will be a fun kit, whatever corrective modelling may be required. If it's a three-digit scale tiddler, then I don't care either way.

It's a pity Trumpy didn't listen to the likes of sadly departed Edgar Brooks, but Iconicair make at least one 1/32 seafaring Spitty. Yes, not much use to 1/72 or 1/48 modellers, but I would be happy with some of the less good kits scaled-up to 1/32 (e.g. Trumpy Su-15TM Flagons) as it at least gives something serious to get to grips with, like their wonky BAC Lightnings.

Tony

25 minutes ago, tony.t said:

but I would be happy with some of the less good kits scaled-up to 1/32 (e.g. Trumpy Su-15TM Flagons)

The 1/72 Su-15s were better than the 1/48 scale kits, but they are still really bad. The fuselage cross-sections are just wrong and result in prominent anhedral of the wings and horizontal tail that are not present on the real thing. The problem with the radome is also well-known but even more than that, I don't know what dimensions are correct. I have the Trumpeter 1/72 Su-15 as well as the PM and AModel kits. My assumption is the AModel kit is most accurate but it is difficult to find any agreement in dimensions between the three kits. The PM is closer to the AModel kit than the Trumpeter kit is. If Trumpeter does a 1/32 Su-15 series, they need to throw out all their existing design data and start from scratch.

On 24 August 2018 at 8:28 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The 1/72 Su-15s were better than the 1/48 scale kits, but they are still really bad... etc etc (snip)

We know that. But a scaled-up kit of a poor one still provides a basis for a great kit with TLC

Tony

Edited by tony.t
snip

Pit Road have a Vulcan B2 with Blue Steel coming, obviously the same as the GWH kit. Pit Road has relationships with Trumpy and GWH.  Is this the same Vulcan again?  Probably.  It's apparently an ad hoc release of an available mould. It was never in the catalogue. Don't get me started on things that HAVE been in the catalogue for a dozen years with no release.