Trumpeter new tool Avro Vulcan

thepureness

On 22/04/2018 at 4:14 PM, Scarlet said:

They were called Jet Pipes in my day.....

Sorry I’ll elaborate a bit further. Although the jet pipes were also different and not interchangeable between engine types (the 202’s in the B.2 and the 301’s in the B.2A) it’s the units that fit around the jet pipes at the exhaust ends that I’m referring to as jet cans, but the pipes suffer outside just as much as the cans do. 

Reading other comments, I really do hope this is something that comes to fruition in 1/72 or 1/48, but for me how correct it is and wether I’m willing to buy it heavily depends on the price. Also if you can do anything from a stock B.2 with no ECM bay and clean fin to a fully kitted out B.2A or Falklands B.2 from the one set of tools? Great! 

Cheers,

WV908 

Edited by WV908

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

I have owned a few manuals on Vulcans, and never have I encountered anything referred to as a Vulcan B.2A.

The B.2A was the designation for the blue steel equipped Vulcans which had Olympus 201’s. After conversion to the conventional role, these Vulcans still retained the ‘A’ designation. Four B.2A’s survive 

Cheers,

WV908

7 hours ago, rayprit said:

This may help clarify B2 OR B2A................or in fact only increase confusion ............:rage:

https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-258880.html

To add even more to the confusion, BAE Systems recognises the designation of B.2A, but only refers to XM575 as such, and ignores the other three survivors listed elsewhere 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

9 hours ago, WV908 said:

The B.2A was the designation for the blue steel equipped Vulcans which had Olympus 201’s. After conversion to the conventional role, these Vulcans still retained the ‘A’ designation. Four B.2A’s survive 

Cheers,

WV908

I've never seen official reference to that and can't help but think it's been applied retrospectively. 

Only since the age of the internet have I seen vague references to Blue Steel, 301 engines, or Skybolt hardpoint equipped Vulcans having a separate designation, but none of the manuals, crews notes, course notes etc that I have seen, and which include all those modifications, show anything other than B.2 - apart from the (MRR) and K.2 conversions of course.

That PPRUNE thread speaks volumes about it really.

• Thanks 1

I think first and foremost Trumpy/HB produces kit that they think will sell well through their primary distribution channels, which I have to believe is China. With 1.4B people and a growing middle class this is a huge market.  Regardless of scale the interesting thing to me about this is how popular British aircraft subjects appear to be in that market.  They certainly want to sell internationally but I don't think they would make a kit that would not sell well for them at home ( which is why they don''t produce much in the way of Japanese aircraft). This is great news for all fans of British aircraft because this means there is probably sufficient demand to help fill up our wish lists ( like maybe a new 1/48 Gannet?).

On 4/26/2018 at 12:17 AM, Harold55 said:

I think first and foremost Trumpy/HB produces kit that they think will sell well through their primary distribution channels, which I have to believe is China. With 1.4B people and a growing middle class this is a huge market.  Regardless of scale the interesting thing to me about this is how popular British aircraft subjects appear to be in that market.  They certainly want to sell internationally but I don't think they would make a kit that would not sell well for them at home ( which is why they don''t produce much in the way of Japanese aircraft). This is great news for all fans of British aircraft because this means there is probably sufficient demand to help fill up our wish lists ( like maybe a new 1/48 Gannet?).

Like many Chinese companies in the hobby market, I expect that most of Trumpeter/HobbyBoss production is exported. Besides which the market for kits is nowhere near 1.4 billion; there are huge differences in living standards in China, particularly between rural and urban dwellers. I'd be surprised if the actual potential market was more than a few million (there are about 330 million in the US but there are certainly not that many potential customers for Trumpeter kits).

On 24/04/2018 at 08:46, 71chally said:

I've never seen official reference to that and can't help but think it's been applied retrospectively. 

Only since the age of the internet have I seen vague references to Blue Steel, 301 engines, or Skybolt hardpoint equipped Vulcans having a separate designation,

Really?

Maybe I had the luxury of growing up with a dad who served on Vulcan squadrons in the '60s. But those designations were around way before the 'tinternet was even a thought.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Re Revell Halifax:  "which is this company

http://www.brazmodels.com/3d-design-01.html

so they are responsible for the mistakes on the Revell Lanc, B-17,  1/48th  Mosquito."

They may have made the mistakes, but the product went out with Revell's name on it, so it is Revell who were responsible for inflicting this on the public.  The buck stops at the top, as Harry Truman once pointed out.

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Re Revell Halifax:  "which is this company

http://www.brazmodels.com/3d-design-01.html

so they are responsible for the mistakes on the Revell Lanc, B-17,  1/48th  Mosquito."

They may have made the mistakes, but the product went out with Revell's name on it, so it is Revell who were responsible for inflicting this on the public.  The buck stops at the top, as Harry Truman once pointed out.

Absolutely; the faults are that of Revell's research department. I once asked 'Mr Braz' Ivo Braghin about the Halifax at Telford and he said Revell provided the drawings and concept of the kit and told him to follow them. He wasn't allowed to change

stuff he didn't agree with; he was just a contractor.  His own field is that of modern airliners, in which he is very highly regarded. He could just as easily have produced an accurate kit if he had been given better information and instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree it looks a lot like the Airfix kit however the engines look thicker like 300 series pipes and different to Airfix. Maybe it’s 1/144 hard to tell but I hope for a new 72 scale kit. However I welcome it whatever the scale.

I remeber rumours of a Trumpeter Vulcan B1 from about 8 years ago. Wish that would see reality. 

:)

and never have I encountered anything referred to as a Vulcan B.2A.

Possibly because it never officially existed Chally...Craig Bulman is considered one of the leading experts on the type and having met him and chatted about all things Vulcan he certainly deserves that epithet. He researched this very subject and says in his superb book, 'The Vulcan B.Mk2 From A Different Angle',

''There have been numerous reference sources describing aircraft fitted with 301 series engines as having the designation B.Mk2A. The reference B.Mk2A is a myth; regardless of the engine series these aircraft have the designation B.Mk2.''

Must admit I've never come across this as an official designation anywhere myself... (happy to be proved wrong). 

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I hope it's 1/72 with options to build it as a B.1 with the big serials under the wings.

That would be nice LR but it would require a separate set of wings, centre fuselage section (B1 intake fit to fuselage shallower with different chord angles)  new undercarriage and fin base for the shortened B1 tail cone, leaving you with a common forward fuselage... but who knows!