Trumpeter new tool Avro Vulcan

thepureness

If you look closely you can see some numbers that look like part of a decal sheet next to the trailing edge of the port wing. Just to the right of those is something partly obscure that looks like an instruction booklet. This looks like 1:48 scale if you ask me. It's definitely not 1:144.

3 hours ago, Scarlet said:

What is a "Jet can" ? :hmmm:

The bit of a Vulcan that rots away first :wink:

On a serious note (actually that last line was serious haha) it’s the engine exhausts, which look a bit rounder and beefier than the Airfix offering 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

If you look closely you can see the wood grain on the desk it was resting on and that gives me the impression this is 1:144 scale - look at the area around the port engine intake and you'll see the desk wood grain - its too big for anything larger scale.

Is that the only photograph available that we are all surmising our Vulcan assumptions on? Well I’ve never heard anyone say that the Airfix kit had accuracy issues so if it’s heavily based on this kit with nice Asian precise panel lines and resin intake inserts than this would save a heap of time to the average modeller that baulks each time they open their unmade Airfix kit.  I’m hoping it is 1/72 scale but would not begrudge Trumpeter if it appeases the masses and turns out to be 1/48th. If it is in the monster scale the only thing I can say is please vote with your wallets. You’ve been asking for it for ages, so now go out there and buy it! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sofiane1718 said:

Hope they'll make the Valiant in 1/144, it's missing by Great Wall hobby :(

Mikro Mir make a 1/144 scale Valiant and very good it is too. Anigrand have also done a Valiant.

HTH

John

• Like 2

Hopefully we will see more pictures at the upcoming Shizuoka Hobby show in Japan. My guess is that it is 1/72 and due for a Christmas 2018 release.

Robert

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

If it is in the monster scale the only thing I can say is please vote with your wallets. You’ve been asking for it for ages, so now go out there and buy it! 

I will. That's despite being on cheap bread well toasted and good beans from October because of Airfix already :rofl:

Then there's the Tamiya 1/48th Churchill tank I've ordered 15 of. I wasn't going to buy any kits this year.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

1/48? Where will ya put it?

Details Details some things just have to be done. A 48th Vulcan is certainly one of them. There's footage of a Vulcan being thrown around like a fighter plane watch it and you'll want one too.

8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

In any case, regardless of the scale, judging by the price tag of recent Trumpeter aircraft kits we should be prepared for an expensive kit

Still going to be a lot cheaper than the Aeroclub Vulcan(I think the last sold for about £250 to someone in the USA).........and it will also upset a few collectors of that kit

If it is 1/48 we may start to see Aeroclub vacuform Vulcans creeping onto various auction sites

26 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Details Details some things just have to be done. A 48th Vulcan is certainly one of them. There's footage of a Vulcan being thrown around like a fighter plane watch it and you'll want one too.

Saw one here in Chicago at the Air and Water show. Was about 30 years ago though.

• Like 1

I'd rather support Airfix  :mellow:

Purely for nostalgic reasons. Grew up with Airfix and Hasegawa kits and would rather buy from them. Still love those old Airfix boxarts by Roy Cross and Hasegawa's Shigeo Koike's mesmerising works.

Airfix has improved tremendously when it comes to panel lines, cockpits, etc, and I'd love a 1/72 Vulcan from them.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jackman said:

I'd rather support Airfix  :mellow:

Purely for nostalgic reasons. Grew up with Airfix and Hasegawa kits and would rather buy from them. Still love those old Airfix boxarts by Roy Cross and Hasegawa's Shigeo Koike's mesmerising works.

Airfix has improved tremendously when it comes to panel lines, cockpits, etc, and I'd love a 1/72 Vulcan from them.

I agree and would think that most others would too.

The only problem is that it may take a company like Trumpeter in order for Airfix to realise that a worn out 1983 tooling is long overdue for replacement - that's if this projected Facebook image is to 1/72 scale of course. If it aint, then the Airfix sprures may hang around for a good few years to come.   

But this thread is about Trumpeter, so if they are going to grace the modelling world with a new tooled Vulcan, then kudos to them - fingers and toes crossed they get it right!.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

A lot of assumptions based on not a lot. 😂.  If Trumpeter current prices are anything to go by, the kit will be unaffordable for me in 1/72 or larger so,I won't be buying it (assuming it's not a huge wind up that is

!😉). 

If it's 1/144, I'm not interested because it's too small. Really don't understand the fuss about it possibly being in 1/48. This would probably put the price well over the ton and,I seriously wonder how many modellers screaming for a new Vulcan would actually part with the cash? The modelling world is littered with "guaranteed best sellers that modellers have been crying out for" only to find them ending up as expensive, dust gathering shelf blockers!

Yes, I would like a new Vulcan but, at a sensible price and in a sensible (1/72) scale. The old Airfix kit, for all its foibles is both. I don't mind putting in the effort to build it.  I don't think I will part with my Airfix Vulcans any time soon. 

Allan

ps- just a passing thought but, if the Vulcan was the guaranteed best seller so many modellers seem to think would it not be the case that manufacturers would be tripping over themselves to produce same? 

• Like 5

Well, There's a new B-52 on the block, ditto Victor, a new B-2,still only one Valiant and B-36. You can buy an Amodel Bison if you want too. Trumpeter's 15+ year old Badger could do with some competition. Heaps of new resin for the B-1, 2 Blackjacks. Shortly, a Kalinin K-7 for the nostalgic. New Vulcan from Trumpeter makes as much sense.

See threads re demise of Hobbico

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Revell even used competitors' products for boxtop photos, back in the 80s...

And Trumpeter could do worse than use the Airfix as a basis, that ***may*** at least prevent silly shape errors :banghead:

The AMT B70 Valrykie actually used a badly constructed Contrail Vacform on its sides...! ....... ( which ,all things considered, was probably an easier build !)

8 hours ago, Robert said:

Hopefully we will see more pictures at the upcoming Shizuoka Hobby show in Japan. My guess is that it is 1/72 and due for a Christmas 2018 release.

Robert

Doubt it - the Shizuoka show is dominated by the local brands (Tamiya, Hasegawa...). Trumpeter is not very welcome there and hence has only a very minor presence at the importer's table.

I'm also guessing that the pic shows a 1:144 example, but perhaps this IS the GWH kit used as a marketing ploy for the actual (1:48?) kit that's currently in design....

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

A lot of assumptions based on not a lot. 😂.  If Trumpeter current prices are anything to go by, the kit will be unaffordable for me in 1/72 or larger so,I won't be buying it (assuming it's not a huge wind up that is

!😉). 

If it's 1/144, I'm not interested because it's too small. Really don't understand the fuss about it possibly being in 1/48. This would probably put the price well over the ton and,I seriously wonder how many modellers screaming for a new Vulcan would actually part with the cash? The modelling world is littered with "guaranteed best sellers that modellers have been crying out for" only to find them ending up as expensive, dust gathering shelf blockers!

Yes, I would like a new Vulcan but, at a sensible price and in a sensible (1/72) scale. The old Airfix kit, for all its foibles is both. I don't mind putting in the effort to build it.  I don't think I will part with my Airfix Vulcans any time soon. 

Allan

ps- just a passing thought but, if the Vulcan was the guaranteed best seller so many modellers seem to think would it not be the case that manufacturers would be tripping over themselves to produce same? 

I think Airfix would have done one by now if it wasn't for the Corgi 1/72 diecast.

• Like 2

What ever scale it is I hope it is better than that thing they call a Sea Vixen, if the Airfix Vixen is correct the Trumpeter one is badly incorrect around the rear of the booms and appears to be 2 scale feet to long as well as other faults in the area

3 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Doubt it - the Shizuoka show is dominated by the local brands (Tamiya, Hasegawa...). Trumpeter is not very welcome there and hence has only a very minor presence at the importer's table.

I'm also guessing that the pic shows a 1:144 example, but perhaps this IS the GWH kit used as a marketing ploy for the actual (1:48?) kit that's currently in design....

I'm not convinced its 1/144 - if it is, its not a very good kit.

The Great Walll Hobby (GWH) / Pit-Road Vulcan is more detailed than this, even the Cyber Hobby 1/200 Vulcan is better than this.
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=70451
http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/flaviation/Dragon-1-200-Avro-Vulcan-B-2-Ascension-Island-1982_printer.php
Trumpeter do a range of 1/350 (in which case this would be a good 1/350)

Problems with this kit is the the lack of detail: 
 - the wheel wells are sparse empty boxes,
-  the undercarriage is poorly defined,
-  there is no crew access door forward of the nose gear

As i said, if it ends up being 1/144, it will be a shame...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

1/48? Where will ya put it?

Next to my 1:35 Dora Rail Gun, 1:48 AC-130U, 1:32 B-17, B-25, Mosquitos, Ho.229, Do.335s... ya know.  Fantasyland.  Anyone got the winning lottery numbers so I can buy myself a warehouse? :please:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2