Supermarine Seafire FR.46 - Airfix 1/48

Hi guys, 

Here is my current project, the old but good Airfix 1/48 Seafire FR46/47. Just to mention that it`s my first build since 10 years so be gentle! :) I count on you for good advises & support during that project.

I had this kit in my inventory for years & since my last spitfire was built when I was 13, it was a good timing to get back into it! :) Since the overall base kit is pretty good, I decided to raise up "a bit" the detail level with some after-market goodies to adress also some little flaws. It would be a FR.46 No.  LA546/900 LM, from 804 Squadron based at Lossiemouth Station Flight in 1946. The decals are coming from the "Grand Phoenix" kit that I have & will be built as a FR.47 in "all-open" configuration.

So, enough speaking, here is the beast...

IMG_1642_zps3vusn80h.jpg

-Some dry-fits of main components. I was quite surprised by the overall good & precise assembly... The "Quick Boost" resin top cowling is very nice & fits pretty good!

IMG_1649_zpsuduf0dlx.jpg

-I decided to show the right wing armament bay so I started with some surgery. I will used a mix of CMK & Aires resin components for that area. Ailerons will be replaced as well.

DSCN1459_zpslyu3wfm8.jpg

-I continued by riveting the whole kit surfaces with "Rosie The Riveter" wheel. It works very well. I used a 0.75mm pitch here.

DSCN1472_zpsm4tn7lif.jpg

DSCN1476_zpsuvqostl5.jpg

DSCN1511_zpswfpamt0k.jpg

DSCN1499_zpsfwqxgqtp.jpg

DSCN1495_zpsw3qbopag.jpg

Still have to finish up the opposite fuselage half & wing bottom. Next step should be the Aires cockpit! I already performed some dry-fit & I can tell you that`s gonna be challenging... :(

Cheers!

Frank

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Persever with the Aires cockpit, because it definitely can be made to fit!  Getting the engine bearers / firewall / wingroot / thickness of residual plastic to line up properly is much more interesting - but also possible!

Good luck.  As you say, it is basically an excellent kit (especially given its age).

Somewhere on this site you will find an account of my build of this very kit as an FR46, which somehow got out of hand; the 46 was finished, but seemed to expand into an additonal “everything open” 47 AND a Seafang.  The latter two are not yet complete.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good day guys,

Still in rivetting process with my Seafire! Almost done with the H-Stab! Should focus on the 'pit after that! :)

Besides, as I'm planning to open the armament bay, any good source of photos available on the net for a FR.46??? Only stuff I found is on previous spitfire`s generations... :(

DSCN1530_zpsyjjuzwgb.jpg

DSCN1543_zpsxev55xwj.jpg

DSCN1533_zpsoaulfs6b.jpg

DSCN1542_zps347decmm.jpg

DSCN1539_zpszurx0fwt.jpg

DSCN1552_zps3bxss26h.jpg

DSCN1550_zpsw6649xof.jpg

Thanks for watching

Frank

Edited by Frank083
  • Like 4

On 09/07/2018 at 17:51, hairystick said:

Ex-FAAWAFU's thread might be of assistance.

If not, it will keep you entertained and well-read for many days of your time!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235026498-supermarines-best-now-with-added-seafire-47-seafang/&do=findComment&comment=2816271

Thanks for the info, i will look at it before going to bed...👍

Frank

21 hours ago, CJP said:

Amazing patience & neat work on that rivetting

CJP

Thanks CJP! It’s a long process to go through but it worth it! 👍 The Aires cockpit will definitely require more patience!

Frank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2018 at 13:46, Thom216 said:

How far has this 'beastie' come along?

Not Very far to be honest Thom... 😢working on the house and I just jumped into my first tank model! A special request from my little nephew! How can I say no...

At least, the rivetting is over...👍

Thanks for your interest! How’s yours going so far?😊

Frank

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Nooooo! The riveting was amazing. And I was so looking forward to seeing what you're doing (have done) with the office. But OK, you have just cause! Hoping you can pick it up again soon...

Thanks a lot Newbie... I will be back into it soon! Sometimes you have just to chose your battles...

summer season is passing very quickly here in Canada so  the fall season should be the production ramp-up!

Cheers

Frank

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

It`s been a while since my last update! Very busy on the house & the backyard! I came back on the Seafire two weeks ago & I must say that I'm progressing well! Especially on the Aires cockpit where fitting... sanding... trimming & screaming... were the main themes! 😥 I will come back into it at my next post!

Small update for now, I`ve been working recently on the Barracuda tubular exhausts which are too small for Quickboost resin cowling. The set is originally supplied with "fishtail" type which is a bit bigger! No big deal, I just reduced the openings to get something more accurate. Still need some filling & sanding to be perfectly smooth!

DSCN2037_zps8prldjw3.jpg

DSCN2024_zpsiwetgqkn.jpg

DSCN2026_zpsbjjvt8m8.jpg

DSCN2029_zpsup2ussq5.jpg

DSCN2031_zpswnfhoypk.jpg

DSCN2034_zpsfdwk9nf7.jpg

DSCN2041_zpsfz8ufwjm.jpg

Besides, here are the last riveted elements for the plane. These are from CMK & they are very fine & well detailed. 

DSCN2048_zpseo4ahlms.jpg

Cheers & see you soon in the cockpit!

Happy Holidays from Canada! 🎅

Frank

• Like 7

On 19/12/2018 at 20:08, Thom216 said:

Nice work and adjustment on the exhaust. W$elcome back to it too!

Thanks a lot Thom! Holidays Christmas will allow me to pay more attention to the Beast!

How’s yours coming along?😛

Frank

Edited by Frank083

On 20/12/2018 at 14:01, GROWLER said:

Very , very interesting..  Nice .

Thanks Growler! 

Still much to to do in order to close up the fuselage but step by step... The Aires cockpit set does not helping me to gain time!

Frank

• Like 1