Hello Everybody ... after seeing the start of the B-25 mitchell Group build. Its killing me that i cant participate yet. The B-25 is my favorite Medium bomber of the war as it was so Versatile and adaptable. I saw a few PBJ’s started ( USMC B-25 not Peanut butter & jelly ) in the group build. I had a minor Discussion with @JOCKNEY in one of the Threads. Both the build and discussion inspired me to dig this out of storage. I did some clean-up and touch ups. I think considering it was started 24 years ago its doing ok. The seams have started popping but not to bad.

I started this Monogram B-25H in 1994. I had to shelve it many times while trying to dig up info on Camouflage and markings. Pre internet era was not easy to find things out. Eventually I came across Jerry Scutts “Marine Mitchells and found this the  “Magic photo”

VyPGaAu.jpg

that solved my issues. Sadly that was in 2001. It would take another 18 months to ultimately finish this in 2003. Yes thats right a 9 year build up until 2014 it was my longest. Sadly now #2 to my RAAF Catalina build which is 14 and growing. Well without further talk here is my PBJ-1H from VMB-613. qSfgGiG.jpg

x6Gmvmy.jpg

3RhJNSG.jpg

DAK1zxS.jpg

KkaZwM6.jpg

XPHS1ta.jpg

hYVEjXj.jpg

l6J7in5.jpg

The business end with the 75 mm.

X4g3Rby.jpg

kE5wog5.jpg

Ive built maybe 5-6 of the Monogram Mitchells since the 1980’s. This is the last survivor and my favorite. If i can get my other obligations taken care of I will be building another for the Group build. Hopefully a Revellogram but maybe another. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 39

Very nice Dennis,....... I am currently building the same kit on the B-25 GB here on BM and I really struggled with the seam lines,...... loads of sanding,...was this the same?

Cheers and well done again,

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Very nice Dennis,....... I am currently building the same kit on the B-25 GB here on BM and I really struggled with the seam lines,...... loads of sanding,...was this the same?

Cheers and well done again,

Tony

Yes its a good kit for detail but Monogram kits were known for bad fit and seams. I had/have the same issues with this kit. Its 24 and the seams are popping on this. Im torn between just leaving it and redoing all the seams. I actually have a spare “G,H” monogram nose but its in poor shape. I rescued it from a garbage pile. It needs a lot of work which im starting on. Once thats done Im going to look into making resin copies of it. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Hi Dennis, YES, I do pop into the 'wingy things' area now and then! It was the word Mitchell that caught my eye. I've always liked the look of them and that's why I had a look.  (I didn't note who'd built it until after seeing the photos)

Well, that's a fine looking Mitchell, especially with that camo, and well worth the decades of waiting for the paint and glue to dry properly!  Excuse my numptiness, but what's the bulging thing on the starboard wing tip? Radar?

Rearguards

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hello @Badder ... Good question. Yes some PBJ’s mostly The Gun nosed H & J’s mounted the search radar on the Starboard wing. This was due to the excessive vibration caused by the 4,5,6, .50’s or the 4 .50’s and the 75mm. The Early glass nosed D’s used the belly turret location. The Later D & J types used a similar pod to mine. However these were usually mounted high on the nose glazing to give it the appearance of a horn. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1