SBD-2 Midway Survivor

Hi, it's my first posting here so might as well go with one of my favorite USN aircraft of WW II. Bu.Aer 2106 survived Midway and finish her days as a training aircraft on lake Michigan.

She was fished out of the lake and now reside at the Navy Museum.

vivjFOlh.jpg

This is my most recent build and for that I used the Trumpeter kit with Black Box interior. Montex masks where used for the rondels.

IwG2sTZ.jpg

The chipping was done as a multi layer with the hair spray technique. It was a first for me and I must say, the results are quite pleasing!

TIUx07Yh.jpg

Colors are Model Master PRU blue for the top and Hataka white-gray for the bottom.

NJSZOBXh.jpg

So hope you'll like it.

Cheers

Andre

Edited by dora9r6
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Very impressive subject, looks the part. Never used Montex masks myself but they look lovely. Scale?

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. It is the Trumpeter kit in 1/32, nice kit with lot of details OOB. I was a bit nervous using the Montex masks, but with time and patience, no coffee, the results are stunning!

Cheers

Excellent build - beautiful weathering, staining and shading.

My preferred scale is 1/72 (I have the Hasegawa kit in my stash) but I am still a fan of the Dauntless in any scale.

The Midway campaign rather fascinates me - thanks for providing the historical context with your model.

:goodjob:

10 hours ago, kapam said:

Excellent build - beautiful weathering, staining and shading.

My preferred scale is 1/72 (I have the Hasegawa kit in my stash) but I am still a fan of the Dauntless in any scale.

The Midway campaign rather fascinates me - thanks for providing the historical context with your model.

:goodjob:

zqnmUwyh.jpg

Have you read this book? It is quite interesting. Did you know that at a certain time, there where more aces on Dauntless then on Wildcat?

Cheers

Edited by dora9r6

Absolutely superb, one of my favourite US naval planes.

I might consider one of these in 1/48... Capt. Vernon “Mike” Micheel's bird if I can find the right markings.

Well done :clap:

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, dora9r6 said:

Have you read this book? It is quite interesting. Did you know that at a certain time, there where more aces on Dauntless then on Wildcat?

Looks like a really interesting book - I might go look around for it.

More aces eh?  I do believe the Dauntless is one of the unsung champions of the United States' Pacific war effort.

Thanks for the heads-up about that book. :thanks: