Lufthansa

Britman

Lead bidders for Alitalia ? That's not an old 1940s joke either.

The latest Aeroplane Monthly has a piece suggesting the Starliner under restoration to flight may not fly again due to removal of the wings and shipping to Germany. Having buzzed about the web,I think the thought of it not flying again maybe premature. Although nothing appears officially I get the impression that Lufthansa have decided to take it in house to finish it. Perhaps someone will be able to fill in with genuine information about this fantastic project and if the wings can be removed without jeopardising its future. I am sorry if I appear to be a bit hard on Lufthansa but since revealing its "new" image , I feel they have lost their way.

A piece in Flight International says something quite different.  Essentially, the plan was to restore the Starliner to flying condition, but the project is too complicated, with having to manufacture so many parts with no remaining drawings to go from and no living staff who can fill in the gaps.  Lufthansa plan instead to put it on display, possibly in Berlin.  If she's currently not in Berlin and can't be made to fly, that would certainly mean removing the wings.  But I somehow doubt they'll be taking a torch to them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just saw this news, it's about a year old, but just to add to this, https://leehamnews.com/2018/06/04/pontifications-lufthansa-is-sabotaging-history/

What some find strange is that the workers were told not to keep records of the dismantling which will kill any chance of anything progressing. It's probably to late but more people need to know about this, those who care about history.

Edited by busnproplinerfan