3 hours ago, Colin W said:

There's definitely something wrong with the front of the rotor head installation above the engines. The kit is not consistent with any pictures I've found.  I think the fact that the kit was released in 1968 and the Puma entered service in 1974 means that the shape and detail probably does not reflect the final shape and spec of the real thing.

After all the work you've done on this kit, Is it possible to correct this to look right?  

Have no fear, Captain Milliput is here!

Incidentally they say one mans trash is another mans treasure. So tonight I was walking the dog past a local beauty spot. The sort of place young people go to walk dogs, watch the sunset, change light bulbs in their cars, throw empty light bulb wrappers onto the ground!  A second glance showed me a solution to the 'contact lens' for the rear window. I reckon I can cut just what I need from this.

IMG_1100

Recycling in action!

Colin

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Colin W said:

There's definitely something wrong with the front of the rotor head installation above the engines. The kit is not consistent with any pictures I've found.  I think the fact that the kit was released in 1968 and the Puma entered service in 1974 means that the shape and detail probably does not reflect the final shape and spec of the real thing.

Colin

Colin, the main issue is that Heller have made the fuselage top around of the main rotor head mostly solid.  The fairing should be thin, with just a lip around the top,  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aérospatiale_SA_330_Puma#/media/File:A_Royal_Air_Force_Puma_helicopter_over_the_English_countryside.jpg for a reasonable view.  I think Heller just simplified it a bit and got the position relative to the rotor mast a bit too far forward.

Regards

Tim

• Thanks 1

I actually managed to find a top view of a French Puma on a ship which shows the collar around the gearbox is quite thin at the front and has tear drop shape.

I've modified the top to reflect this.

IMG_1102

Its a bit hard to see with all the filler but I cut away the front and replaced the base with plastic sheet. A few layers of filler and I was confident to cut in the ventilation holes. Anyway as you can see I have put the glazing on and pre-masked it to protect from scratching.

It needed a bit of bog on the port side

IMG_1106

But starboard was OK.

IMG_1105

Gradually working away at top and front now but I don't have to worry about breaking the cockpit anymore!

Colin

• Like 3

Well the fill sand and repeat cycle comes to an end for most of the airframe. There were quite few gaps around the cabin windows so I covered them with Squadron putty and polished them back before masking them off. I then sprayed a thin coat of Mr Colour 301 over the glazing and the filler to check for imperfections and to set the interior colour for the cockpit. I have also added a plate in the engine bay to sit them on once I have made these.

IMG_1116

This view also shows the 2 prominent fuel filler positions missed by Heller and for which I needed to reposition the undercarriage sponsons back by 4mm.

Colin

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps

I've been chipping away at this but not posting for various reasons. We had a storm last weekend which knocked the internet out for 4 days so no posting then!

So since the last post the final paint has gone on the fuselage and rotors. I masked the rotors and the black undersurface but used wet tissue for the green which worked well

IMG_1124

Now on her wheels

IMG_1126

Colin

• Like 6

That's a rather handsome wobblychopter you have there. Looks great in the green and grey. Despite having never seen one, I've always rather liked the Puma. If only we had a more modern kit of it.

• Thanks 1

That's looking great Colin.

I've managed to obtain two editions of the old Matchbox 1/32 kit (why??) so have a keen interest in Puma's. I'll look forward seeing this one all wrapped up soon.

Now, loosing the internet for four whole days must have been a real 'turn back the clock' moment.

I'm sure if I gave my kids the choice - they would rather loose oxygen over the internet for such a long period of time!

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 2

Thanks for the comments. Living in rural Thailand is great but it has its challenges. 🙂 Tonight there is an error message telling me the pictures cant be embedded? Sorted!

Anyway a fair bit of progress this weekend. This kit is not really worthy of the level of detail in Tims picture on page 1 so i built the basic unit and added a swash plate, some oil tanks and a bit of piping from lead wire.

IMG_1132

Meanwhile the lack of detail on the tail rotor sent me to the spares bin where I found an old Hasegawa 5 blade tail rotor from their Seaking kit. I trimmed the blades and now it looks much better

Hasegawa                                                                                                                 Heller

IMG_1139

I looked for some better wheels but actually these are not a bad representation of the real thing.

IMG_1134

Finally I went with the large contact lens idea for the rear window. This is moulded solid on the kit but has been cut from a blister pack, see above.

IMG_1136

IMG_1140

Colin

• Like 4

Quick update tonight.

I made the decal sheet last night and sealed it tonight. XW226 of 230 Squadron RAF Odiham. I'm not sure if its a tiger and a palm tree or a puma?

IMG_1141

Traveling for the rest of the week so next update on Sunday.

Colin

• Like 3

Yes a Tiger of course. 

The decals are printed on clear decal film using a standard ink jet. The ink is water soluble so needs a couple of thin coats of varnish to seal.

Easy as really 

I usually use Xtradecal for the roundals so  I don't have to match the colour.

Colin 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Colin W said:

Quick update tonight.

I made the decal sheet last night and sealed it tonight. XW226 of 230 Squadron RAF Odiham. I'm not sure if its a tiger and a palm tree or a puma?

IMG_1141

Traveling for the rest of the week so next update on Sunday.

Colin

Enlarge them to 1/32 scale and you can retire early!! ... and I’d be very happy to be your first customer. Some 33 Squadron badges and codes would be nice. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Well some more decal fun.

The only issue with home printed decals is the white. I missed the chance to get an ALPS years ago so now have to montage the decals to get white. Here is a square of white decal film added as a base. The red has been printed with the letters left clear.

IMG_1151

Red decal applied over the white to get the border and white lettering

IMG_1152

A bit of alignment to tidy up. Note the poor printing of the professional Xtradecal! Where did the white crescent come from?

Colin

• Like 3

Colin, 

It's looking good. And in proper grey, green & black too.

They are just wrap around two tone green now & it looks wrong to me.

In your post 36 above, the main rotor head.

The green and black on the blades continues to the root end of the blade.

The gearbox and head are a dark grey semi gloss.

See the picture in post 12.

I recently unearthed an Airfix Puma and a Matchbox one I built in the mid 80's.

Both need more than a bit of refurbishment!

• Thanks 1

Quick update on the last few days work

The decals are now matted down with Microscale satin. Aerials added from the Flightpath Seaking set. I found this also had a hook made from 4 lamonations on PE. Since my main reference picture also had the hook I decided to add this.

IMG_1154

Doors fitted.

IMG_1156

IMG_1157

I peeled off the cockpit masking and I have to say I was quite pleased with the overall outcome.

The end is nigh!

Exhausts and side steps to add and the aerial wire then done.

Oh and the rotors, Duh!

Colin

• Like 1

Cheers Andy. I've quite enjoyed this build as its been a nice balance of the kit giving a reasonable shape and opportunity to do some reconstruction and detailing without getting the microscope out.

Well last session today.

I have added the last of the aerials and the brass work for the steps and skid.   Here's an overview before painting. Side steps and tail rotor defender from 1mm wire. Aerial rigging with Eezee line on a double laminate strut from Flightpaths PE Seaking set. Also from the same set is the hook and the main blade aerials although I had to reduce the size of the upper one. IFF aerials from a generic PE sheet.

The 3d printer is here but its my sons school project and he took off to sunny England yesterday and I don't want to use it without him so I made some blanks over the exhausts. I'll make some engines in September when he's back.

IMG_1158

Same aspects from a different angle. You can see the tail aerial (Carbon fibre rod) and just make out the red nav light

IMG_1162

The brass needs to be painted, rotors popped on and then she's done.

I'll post some finished pictures in the Gallery.

Thanks Rob for moderating and to Enzo for putting this GB on as an extra when we all thought it would be lost with not enough votes. I have never managed 2 models in 1 GB before but good to have this very long serving machine represented I think.

Colin

• Like 2