Opinions on Airfix´s 1:48 Bf 109E-1/3/4

Sturmovik

Someone offered me this kit as an alternative to the more expensive Hasegawa 109E with a Galland resin body, so I wanted to know your opinions about it regarding the type of plastic, the quality of the decals, fit, and particularly the size of the sprue gates (if you had any troubles removing the parts from the sprues).

Any comment is appreciated.

IMHO, and I know I'm a little biased here, it's a fair nice kit. Gives you lots of options OOB, from an early E1 to a late E7, nice fit, easy to work plastic, and nice clear parts. maybe it has its own flaws, other will know better. I've built two of them (sorry, no pics), and found them a pleasure...

It even gives you the chance to build Galland's personal plane, with his "custom" telescopic gunsight...don't know anything about the lighter he asked to install in the cockpit...:D

Cheers..

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1

I've built one ( as a "what if") . I've also built 109s from Hasegawa, Classic Airframes and Hobbycraft. The Aifix kit is moulded in their soft blue plastic, so I would recommend a razor saw such as the JLC saw to remove the parts from the sprue. They clean up easily ( but sand quickly so take care). Fit is very good. The fuselage stuck together without glue. Watch out for a few sink marks. Cockpit is OK, and paints up well. There is ample aftermarket should you want more . I recall reviews criticising the prop blades and the cockpit canopy ( see the review links that VMA131 Marine) posted. All in all a nice simple build with good fit and adequate detail.  I did not use the kit decals ( I had the Airfix club boxing) but used the Japanese Hinomarus on another kit and they went down very nicely - the decals were the " new" Airfix type. If I wanted to build another "E" I would certainly buy another. Here is mine.

https://hiveminer.com/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?method=GET&search_type=Tags&sort=Interestingness&sorting=Interestingness&page=7&photo_number=50&originput=ipmsavon,ipmsuk&tag_mode=all&search_domain=Tags&textinput=ipmsavon,ipmsuk&noform=t&photo_type=250

• Like 1

Sorry for not answering before, I always arrive home too tired to open my PC and check my social media. 

Judging by everyone´s opinions, I´ll give the Airfix kit a try, I have five Fw 190s and only one Bf 109.

On 18/4/2018 at 11:04, Artie said:

It even gives you the chance to build Galland's personal plane, with his "custom" telescopic gunsight...don't know anything about the lighter he asked to install in the cockpit...:D

Cheers..

That´s the sole reason I´ll be buying it, I´ve always wanted to build Galland´s plane.

• 3 weeks later...

Fast forward to this day, I bought Airfix´s model, and it looks great, nice decals, no flash, etc... But one of my main criticisms is the size of some sprue gates, particularly the ones on the slats, which literally are part of the slat itself.

28156452428_1d2f2d495d_z.jpg

27159365037_ee40d65791_z.jpg

28156434278_6237747f2a_z.jpg

The " blue" plastic is soft so best to use a razor saw to remove the parts without damage like the JLC one sold by Modelling tools amongst others. Benefit of the soft plastic is that it makes the clean up of mould seam lines easy, and the plastic reacts well to liquid cement in small quantities.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, neilh said:

The " blue" plastic is soft so best to use a razor saw to remove the parts without damage like the JLC one sold by Modelling tools amongst others. Benefit of the soft plastic is that it makes the clean up of mould seam lines easy, and the plastic reacts well to liquid cement in small quantities.

I´ll have to search for one of those razor saws, or just use my Xacto as a knife and slice the pieces slowly from the sprue.

Do you think Revell Contacta will work well with the soft plastic?

Edited by Sturmovik

JLC saw is available on line from a number of sources, as are razor saw blades that will fit in an X Acto knife handle. I do use Revell Contacta and it will melt the Airfix plastic but try to get someliquid cement. Its much easier to use for smaller parts and easy to apply on longer seams too.

8 hours ago, neilh said:

JLC saw is available on line from a number of sources, as are razor saw blades that will fit in an X Acto knife handle. I do use Revell Contacta and it will melt the Airfix plastic but try to get someliquid cement. Its much easier to use for smaller parts and easy to apply on longer seams too.

But Contacta won´t damage the Airfix part right?

Contacta is a glue that works my melting styrene, so will only " damage" any parts that you glue that you shouldn't have.

• Thanks 1