What is the best way to build 1/48 Lightning Mk53 of the Saudi AF?

cema_ga

Hello mates!

I want to build the Saudi AF EE Lightning Mk53 in 1/48.

What Airfix boxing I need to buy? What modifications I need to do?

I saw decals by Model Alliance, are they of good quality?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

The Mk. 53 is based on the Mk. 6 but was fitted for underwing pylons outboard of the undercarriage bays which could each carry a 1,000lb bomb or a pair of SNEB rocket pods.  There are photos of at least one Mk. 53 on the Walkaround page on this site and on Thunder and Lightnings, amongst others.

I’ve no experience of using Model Alliance decals but others have commented on a lack of accuracy on some sheers, for example the 6 Squadron spotty Jaguar, and print density.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The Mk. 53 is based on the Mk. 6 but was fitted for underwing pylons outboard of the undercarriage bays which could each carry a 1,000lb bomb or a pair of SNEB rocket pods.  There are photos of at least one Mk. 53 on the Walkaround page on this site and on Thunder and Lightnings, amongst others.

I’ve no experience of using Model Alliance decals but others have commented on a lack of accuracy on some sheers, for example the 6 Squadron spotty Jaguar, and print density.

Great! Thanks a lot!

So I need to buy the F.6 boxing and find Saudi decals from other producer...Are the pylons and SNEB pods included in Airfix kit? And what is correct type of 1000lb bombs (are they British or American)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cema_ga said:

.Are the pylons and SNEB pods included in Airfix kit? And what is correct type of 1000lb bombs (are they British or American)?

I don’t think so, but drawings of the pylons were included in the Aeromodeller/SMI drawings (by C. J. Nicholls IIRC). SNEB pods could be sourced from the Aca Hunter (but I think only 2), not sure about Airfix and Esci Jags and Airfix Bucc 2B (Navy boxing likely has the RN 2 inch pods instead of 2.75). For the Lightning, 99% they are British bombs, but I‘ll leave the last word to Selwyn.

• Like 2

I’ve an idea that the Airfix Harrier and Sea Harrier kits also include SNEB pods but I’m not 100% sure and can’t access my kits just now.

John’s photos also show the ventral rocket packs which were rarely, if ever, installed on RAF F. Mk. 6s.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot!

I found on e-bay the CMK's Resin 1/48 Matra Type 155 SNEB Rocket Launcher Pod (2 pcs)

So, the only effort is to build the pylons. Or to display the model with AA missiles only 

Bombs are british 1000Lb.  Be aware the 155 SNEB  pod pictures are not representative as they have red display rockets half loaded to the pods and underfuselage tray to show the war load for display purposes.

The Saudi's F.53s saw brief action in December 1969 during a brief conflict in the South Yemen border area.  Several ground attack sorties were flown, these ending the situation almost without any help from the Saudi army.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Selwyn said:

Bombs are british 1000Lb.  Be aware the 155 SNEB  pod pictures are not representative as they have red display rockets half loaded to the pods and underfuselage tray to show the war load for display purposes.

Selwyn

Selwyn would the rocket pods in the Airfix B.(I)6/8 do?

John

2 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Selwyn would the rocket pods in the Airfix B.(I)6/8 do?

John

John,

I wouldn't know as I have never seen the pods in this kit. they should look like the one in the first lightning picture post 5 and have 18 tubes.

Selwyn

I have never seen pics of F.53s in service (which are rare), either with Kuwait or Saudi, with the missiles fitted. 

That's not to say they weren't ever fitted, but must have been rare.

Aside from the single, or twin under wing Matra 155 18 round rocket pods option, (or one 1000Ib, two 450Ib bombs) there was a great looking twin JL100 over wing pack developed.

Each overwing pack consisted of two 18 round rockets pods fitted in the nose of a 50 gallon fuel tank.

The forward internal Microcel rocket packs were also retained.

If you look for the EE Lighting on Wiki you will find a nice picture of this combination.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I have never seen pics of F.53s in service (which are rare), either with Kuwait or Saudi, with the missiles fitted. 

That's not to say they weren't ever fitted, but must have been rare.

Aside from the single, or twin under wing Matra 155 18 round rocket pods option, (or one 1000Ib, two 450Ib bombs) there was a great looking twin JL100 over wing pack developed.

Each overwing pack consisted of two 18 round rockets pods fitted in the nose of a 50 gallon fuel tank.

The forward internal Microcel rocket packs were also retained.

If you look for the EE Lighting on Wiki you will find a nice picture of this combination.

450Lb bomb? surely 450KG (roughly =1000lb!)

Selwyn

Apologies yes, 1000Ib bombs.  Two 1000Ils on each underwing pylon sounded too much but you are right.

I had forgotten that the F.53 was originally designed to carry six 1000Ib bombs, two on special over wing adapters, but that idea was quickly dropped and I'm not sure if it was ever air trialed?

Here's that pic of G-AXEE from Wiki,

EE_Lightning_F.53_418_G-AXEE_Kuw_LEB_07.

• Like 2

Its really odd seeing pictures of a bombed up Lightning.  Like many on here, say the word Lighting and my minds eye has a jet sat on its tail reaching for the stars at Warp Factor 7.

Didn't the Matchbox kit used to have the over wing rocket launchers ?

25 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Its really odd seeing pictures of a bombed up Lightning.  Like many on here, say the word Lighting and my minds eye has a jet sat on its tail reaching for the stars at Warp Factor 7.

No, only had the overwing tanks with the relative pylons. The ancient Airfix Mirage III kit had a pait of pretty poor JL100s in 1/72.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

No, at least not the versions I have; they have the pure tanks. You may be thinking of the Airfix Mirage IIIC, which has the combined tanks/launchers, but only in a slightly less impressive single setup...

Well, Giorgio beat me to it... I think the Airfix JL100 body is OK, the sharp end perhaps could be...sharper.

Edited by tempestfan
Great minds think alike...
  • Like 2