Sopwith Camel, A R Brown, 209 SQN RAF, 1918 ***FINISHED 21/07/2018***

Cheers Steve. Don't get me wrong, it's a superb kit, it's just my cack-handedness that's causing problems!  I'm learning a lot with this kit though for future WnW builds, so it's not all bad.  Mines gonna end up looking war-torn just with me building it!

Davey.

• Like 1

Plodding on, got all of the tail section rigging done, just the undercart and that daft 'X' with the bobbin thingy in the middle to do.

DSC_0023DSC_0024DSC_0025DSC_0026DSC_0027

• Like 4

• DaveyGair changed the title to Sopwith Camel, A R Brown, 209 SQN RAF, 1918 ***FINISHED 21/07/2018***

Well, here we are at long last. (TBH actually not that many hours to build, just life getting in the way!)

First some shots of final bits and pieces.

I did the weird off-set cross rigging bit with that 'bobble thingy' with guitar string. Basically drilled out the part to thread two bits of 7 thou E guitar string, took a little while to cut and test fitting to get right, I even more or less got the '7mm gap' below the top main-wing in the instructions more or less right!

DSC_0004DSC_0005DSC_0012

Some shots of the finished article.

DSC_0011DSC_0014DSC_0015DSC_0016DSC_0021

Thanks to the hosts for supervising this build, this is a big departure for me, a 1/32nd WW1 aircraft is not my usual subject. These WnW kits are, in a word, SUPERB. The presentation, quality of moulding, quality of the instructions, the decals (even though I had a bit of bother!) are all top notch and I have a few more of their kits to do.  Even though the air was turned a bit blue (as my wife will testify!) when doing the rigging, it makes all the difference and was well worth persevering with.

See you in the Gallery.

Davey.

• Like 5

Looks good Davey, you are a braver man than I, attempting a Wing Nuts kit, let alone finishing one in a group build.

OT; you say you have a few more WnW kits in your stash? You'd be very welcome to build one (or more) in the WWI group build ...

I agree, takes a fair bit of courage to complete one of these within a GB timeline, however you’ve succeeded big time. This Camel is a real work of art and it shows off your excellent modelling skills superbly. 

Cheers. Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments.  It turns out I have left out some quite substantial rigging between the outer and inner struts, two single lengths each side, forming a cross with the double rigged lengths! And I thought it was all going so well-ish!    :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Davey.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Looks good Davey, you are a braver man than I, attempting a Wing Nuts kit, let alone finishing one in a group build.

OT; you say you have a few more WnW kits in your stash? You'd be very welcome to build one (or more) in the WWI group build ...

I have a Fokker D.VII on the go but might count as more than 25% complete, what do you think?

The engine is half complete and painted as well, not shown in this photo.

DSC_0007

I added the missing rigging to the Camel as well, too late to add to the gallery.

DSC_0002DSC_0001

How did I miss these major cross bracing wires!!

Davey.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

I have a Fokker D.VII on the go but might count as more than 25% complete, what do you think?

The engine is half complete and painted as well, not shown in this photo.

DSC_0007

That looks beautiful Davey, love the pading on that seat ... but, I think you are right Davey, it might be pushing past the 25% complete - these WnW kits tend to have a high component count in the 'pit.