Sopwith Camel, A R Brown, 209 SQN RAF, 1918 ***FINISHED 21/07/2018***

Really got to finish a couple of other builds I'm doing, but thought I would throw this in. Once I get started should be a fairly trouble free build, I'm doing a D.VII at the moment, my first WnW, and it is going together quickly and easily.

Going to do B7270, the 'famous?' Arthur Browns' mount, initially with 9(N) squadron RNAS, but was renamed 209 SQN RAF in April when the RFC and RNAS were combined to form the new air arm of the British forces.

Going to be out the box as really it needs nothing else.

Hope I a) do it justice and, b  get it finished!

DSC_0022DSC_0023DSC_0024DSC_0025DSC_0026DSC_0027DSC_0028

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely. A few weeks ago I bought the same kit with half an eye on the upcoming Eleventh Hour GB. Whether I build it this year or leave it a while is dependent on many things - one of them being overcoming my fear of rigging (I wonder if there is a medical term for this :wonder:).

Have fun with it. I'll be watching with interest.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, thoroughly Jet-Lagged after our Dom.Rep trip, but after 'household duties', decided to at least get this off the ground. 

Have spent this afternoon removing some parts from their sprues, and doing some sub-assemblies ready for priming and painting.

Not much to look at but at least it's a start 🙂.

DSC_0012

Davey.

• Like 4

Hurrah, someone who is actually behind me in terms of build progress. Makes me feel a bit better :wink:.

Looking at those parts is giving me the urge to get mine off the shelf, but I must resist.

20 minutes ago, monsjmse said:

Hurrah, someone who is actually behind me in terms of build progress. Makes me feel a bit better :wink:.

Looking at those parts is giving me the urge to get mine off the shelf, but I must resist.

Well, at least I'm making someone happy!  Your Defiant build is looking good so far, nice and neat. I'm trying MRP paint for the first time with this, PC10 and CDL.

I was determined to finish my Sword 1/72nd Seafire build over on the 'Carriers Ahoy!' GB before I went on holiday, but I'm pushing on with this one and I WILL finish it!

A little more this week, started painting some bits, still a bit of detail painting to do.  Also test fitted the fuselage halves and cowling parts. You have to remove part of the upper gun cowling and add a small piece to fill a gap, but it all goes beautifully together just with tape!

DSC_0015DSC_0016

• Like 3

Got nowt done this weekend, had a family thing Saturday then my local IPMS clubs show (Northern Model Show) all day Sunday 'helping'.

Got the instrument panel decalled and varnished, just a couple of details to paint in (very difficult with my shakey hands as I get older!😡)

Test fitted the seat/tank unit into the side frames (before painting the forward handles still in grey primer), perfect fit.

Need to mask wood area inside fuselage halves and paint again, but getting close to closing them up.

DSC_0018DSC_0019DSC_0020

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, monsjmse said:

Lovely. A few weeks ago I bought the same kit with half an eye on the upcoming Eleventh Hour GB. Whether I build it this year or leave it a while is dependent on many things - one of them being overcoming my fear of rigging (I wonder if there is a medical term for this :wonder:).

That's "Rigger Mortis"

Angus Tura, MD

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Been getting on with this a couple of hours this week and a few today.

Cockpit ready to close up in the fuselage halves, just got to paint the tail-skid.  Still debating on the rigging for the cockpit frame, I did a bit for the flying controls, but don't know if I'll bother, you can't see much once the whole thing is closed up.

Painted the main wings and tail surfaces. Used MRP Late WW1 RAF PC10 and CDL. Straight onto plastic, sprays better than Vallejo out of the jar, but, being solvent based, stinks the place out and more involved cleaning up. Rest of colours are Vallejo ModelAir which I'm finding Good in general.

DSC_0017DSC_0016DSC_0014DSC_0006DSC_0007DSC_0008DSC_0009DSC_0010DSC_0011DSC_0012

• Like 3

Bit more done this afternoon.  I'm finding as I get older my neck and back can't take the seated position very long, craning over the workbench, never mind my eyes getting bamboozled!!  So just a couple of hours at a time is all I can handle 😒

Got the Bentley engine done, MAY add plug wires!

Trying to get the wood effect on the cockpit upper deck looking right, needs to go a bit darker.  

Test fit of the main and tail-planes, fit like a glove.

Onwards and upwards.

Davey.

DSC_0022DSC_0021DSC_0020DSC_0019

• Like 4

Little bit more done this week and a little bit today, just a case of masking and painting, more masking and painting and trying to get the wood finish to look right etc.  The wooden and red aluminium 'Humpy' bit is all in place now. The cowling and engine are yet to be glued in place.

For some reason, even though I used the exact same paint on the exact same undercoat with the exact same varnish, the front sides just don't seem to quite match the cowling and 'hump'.

Little bits to touch in here and there but am quite happy.

Anyway, visiting me dad down in Manchester tomorrow so I'll get nowt done rest of the weekend.

Next up is decals on the wings and fuselage before assembling the undercart and other bits, then...... the rigging 😒

DSC_0001DSC_0002DSC_0003DSC_0004

• Like 5

This looks like a lovely kit and what's more your making a fine job putting all this together. 

A Sopwith Camel seems quite fitting for this GB as (along with the SE5a) would have represented the pinnacle of RAF Fighter technology at the time of its birth. 

Apologies for not responding sooner, however you've caught my attention now - so I'll be watching. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Got started on the myriad of the little things to get this finished, and decided to get the decaling started as well.  This turned out not to be straight forward as these decals don't like being touched!!  I started as I usually do by trying one without any setting solution of any sort added, (of course it had to be an upper roundel, fool that I am!), and when GENTLY wiping it to expel the air it just broke up 😡.  I looked up on this forum if anyone had any trouble with WnW decals and someone had the same problem with this same kit, well, a Camel anyway.  Suffice to say, out came the Micro Sol/Set and, with a deep breath, tried again.

The upshot is, they are quite thick and don't like being messed with that much, so, taking advice from the replies of said thread I looked at, used a fair bit of solution the get them to settle down, which they did admirably.  A couple did still get small tears in them but I did better once I got the hang of them.

Maybe it's just me being a Cack-handed old duffer, but go easy if you try these kits as I think it has happened to others!

You can see in the photo's where I have started to attempt to touch in the damaged ones (battle scars!).

I noticed that the tail-plane should have been finished in red/white instead of PC10 so have begun repainting it!

Not deterred and will be finished before the deadline!

DSC_0007DSC_0008DSC_0009

DSC_0010DSC_0011DSC_0012

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 7

This is looking really great 👍... I did my first ever ww1 biplane two yrs ago for my birthday. It was a 1/72 scale but did the same markings. Maybe cause im a brown too ? I chickened out though ? I never did the rigging ? My next one is hopefully going to be an Albatross Mk. V series and i will try rigging that one. 

Cheers matey.

I think you have to rig these in this scale to do them justice.  I'm going to try 7 thou E electric guitar string for the rigging (equates to about 0.18mm so close enough). But I'm not so sure it'll be 'straight ' enough, we'll see.

Davey.

Coming along now, even if it doesn't look as if I've done much, lots of 'twiddley' things done and still to do before.... the rigging!

A couple of photo's show with and without flash, shows the colours in different lighting conditions, also I have to learn sometime how to take decent photo's!

The upper wing and wheels aren't glued on yet but everything fits really well.

I cracked the windscreen in half! The photo's show it isn't quite realigned properly but am not too worried. Gun sighting tube yet to fit.

Lots of oil staining along the sides, (Vallejo).

DSC_0001DSC_0004DSC_0003DSC_0006DSC_0007DSC_0008DSC_0009DSC_0010

Started oil staining (Vallejo Oil Stain). a lot more to do underneath, as the photo's of actual aircraft show in the instructions.

DSC_0011

• Like 5

Nice work so far.

I've seem multiple reports of trouble with these decals, which is odd as I thought they were printed by cartograph . So you're not alone. 

I applied my decals tonight and the only ones I had trouble with were the upper wing ones where they have to bend 90 degrees into the gap between the and aileron. They didn't like bending and split along that edge

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, CliffB said:

It's looking lovely Davey.  I particularly like the range surface finishes that you've achieved.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. I've basically brushed on satin varnish, varying the amount over the airframe, I'm not sure it's that effective but wanted to give it a weathered look. I think my next builds will be a bit more 'as new', I need to learn a few more weathering techniques!

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, Calum said:

Nice work so far. 

I applied my decals tonight and the only ones I had trouble with were the upper wing ones where they have to bend 90 degrees into the gap between the and aileron. They didn't like bending and split along that edge

Thanks Calum, I basically cut mine off where the dotted line showed where the bend was! If that's inaccurate, tough!

Started the rigging, photo's to follow.

Davey.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 7:14 AM, DaveyGair said:

Thanks Calum, I basically cut mine off where the dotted line showed where the bend was! If that's inaccurate, tough!

Davey.

Ah that's what those dotted lines were for . I was wondering what he point of them were.  :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't got that much done the last few days, but will get finished for the weekend.

First major fail, glued the top wing on before attaching wires to lower wing, just makes things a bit easier.

Using guitar string for wires hasn't quite worked as planned, when you pick the thing up any movement of the wings makes the wires detach straight away! So, trying EZ line, which started off abysmally, stuck everywhere except where I wanted. This is mainly due to the fact that my ageing fingers just aren't as nimble as they were! Lots of touching up to do to the paintwork as I go due to superglue 'splodges' when the line sprang away onto surfaces where not required!

Photo quality not as good, have managed to lose the spare battery and charger to my Nikon D3100! 10 year old Olympus digi compact instead, big difference.

Onwards and upwards!

P7160001P7160002P7160003

• Like 3

Having started at the end,I went back to the beginning & read right through. Nice work going on here Davy, I've an interest in Camels just now, recently bought one to do a Kiwi subject, thankfully in 1/72 so I don't feel obliged to get into to much detailing. I'll be happy to refer to this build for inspiration & guidance though.

Steve.