British (1917) & American (1918) Infantry in Gas Masks (35703 & 35704) 1:35

Mike

British (1917) & American (1918) Infantry in Gas Masks (35703 & 35704)

1:35 ICM

Gas attacks during WWI were a constant danger to both sides of the trenches, and many men were killed or maimed horribly during the conflict, which necessitated all soldiers carrying a gas mask with them whenever they were at the front.  This still didn't mean you were 100% safe, as my paternal Grandfather found out when he was mustard gassed at one of the many battles he was involved with.  He recovered sufficiently, but I don't doubt that it shortened his life somewhat.

The Allied gas masks were broadly similar (in fact my parents still have my Grandad's somewhere), with circular glazed eyeholes and a concertina hose that led to the filter box that was carried in a bag usually resting on the wearer's chest.  They were effective, but must have restricted their situational awareness something rotten, and been horribly claustrophobic to wear for any length of time.

The Kits

Both sets arrive in top-opening figure sized boxes with the usual ICM inner lid that is captive to the tray.  Inside are three sprues of varying sizes in sand coloured styrene, a glossy instruction sheet, and a matt painting and sprue guide.

British Infantry in Gas Masks (1917) 35703

boxtop.jpg

This set has four figures in various stances, giving the impression that they are advancing on the enemy.  Three of the men are carrying rifles with bayonets fixed, which backs that up, and the fourth is holding his Webley revolver out in front, with an (ever-so useful) Swagger Stick in his left hand.  They are all dressed in standard British uniforms with boots and puttees wrapped around their lower legs.  The officer figure is less burdened by equipment, carrying only leather binocular case and holster, while the troops are weighed down by ammo pouches and assorted kit bags on their webbing.  Each sports a battle bowler and their gas mask, which is moulded into the front parts of the head, with the rear a separate part from a separate sprue.  The original heads can be seen attached to the main body parts, which also include separate legs, torsos and arms.  All the weapons, pouches and head gear are separate parts on the other large sprue, with the gas masks and bags on the third smaller sprue.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

detail1.jpg

US Infantry in Gas Masks (1918) 35704

boxtop.jpg

The four figures in this set are also going over the top, and are more animated than their reserved British counterparts, with dynamic poses even for the officer.  Bayonets are fixed for the men, while the officer has his 1911 pistol out and a wide stance.  Their dress is very similar to the British, and without studying the weapons and webbing, they could easily be mistaken for Tommies, but as you would expect the enlisted men have more equipment than the officer, although he does add a map case and canteen to his webbing.  The gas masks are again moulded to the front of the head with a separate rear, and the filter bags are thinner and deeper, while the battle bowlers are pretty much identical to their allies.  The officer is further distinguished from the men by his wearing of knee-length lace-up boots, while the others wear puttees wrapped around their lower legs.  Again, the original heads are found on the main sprue alongside separate legs, torsos, arms and some of the larger packs.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

detail1.jpg

Conclusion

Both sets offer a good choice of soldiers for diorama purposes, and the poses are different enough to add some action in use.  As well as the suggested weapons as per the instructions, there are a large number of additional weapons of various types to give you customisation possibilities.  As usual with ICM, their sculpting is crisp and realistic, with good definition between smocks, buttons, straps etc.  Couple these with the German Infantry in Gas Masks we reveiwed recently, and you have the beginnings of a battle.

Very highly recommended.

Available from all good modelshops both on the high street and online.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The British ones are a re-issue of the 1914 set (now with added rezzies) and make up quite nicely. Haven't seen the US ones until now but they look just as good as all the ICM figures I've had the pleasure of dealing with from the Great War era. 

As you say the potential for a trench battle scene is an itch I may need to scratch. Especially when a set of the Meng stormtroopers are thrown in the mix.

• Like 2

If you look at the US set at the top of the German Infantry in Gas Masks link toward the bottom of this review, you can see the first boxing of the US figures with just the 'eads :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 6:25 PM, Darby said:

As you say the potential for a trench battle scene is an itch I may need to scratch.

That was my first thought on seeing these.....They're just screaming out for a scene of primal savagery, photographed through a yellow-green filter!  ;)

Very cool figures.  :coolio:

• Like 2