What paint for pouring into intakes?

planehazza

I've seen it done on a few sites, and want to give it a go on my 1/48 F-16s.  Looks a lot better than trying to spray it down the small intakes.  

Those that do or have done this method, what UK available gloss white acrylic paint could you recommend for doing it please?

Here's a link to the method I'm referring to: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/295072-f-16c-barak-with-goodies/&do=findComment&comment=2826322

Thanks!

The local guys here use house paint. Yep, the stuff you buy at the DIY stores. Mix in a little paint conditioner and just shoot it in. It's so thick it helps hide seam lines. I've never had the courage to do it my self. It seems unnatural to me. But they swear by it.

Edited by Thud4444
  • Haha 1

I believe what our American Cousins refer to as ‘latex’ paint, is what we call ‘emulsion’ over here, i.e. bog standard wall paint.

For a glossy finish, some of that low odour gloss white for woodwork would be my best guess. The ‘low odour’ or ’low VOC’ stuff is usually water based (but best to check first before buying any).

Mart

So I was along at B&Q and the price of paint is eye watering.  Plus they were all 750ml or 2.5L - far too much!

Now, I'm thinking I might just buy 5 pots of Tamiya X2 - it'll be £8 but at least I know it'll stick and not lift later like I've read the emulsion can do on models.

Thoughts?

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd update this.  My first time pouring paint into the intake was performed successfully not long after posting this thread.  The paint was very thick so I'm going to try thinning it this time around to aid the flowing.  Being house latex/emulsion paint, I assume I can thin it with tap water if that's all that's needed to clean the brushes?

On 8/20/2018 at 11:05 AM, planehazza said:

Thought I'd update this.  My first time pouring paint into the intake was performed successfully not long after posting this thread.  The paint was very thick so I'm going to try thinning it this time around to aid the flowing.  Being house latex/emulsion paint, I assume I can thin it with tap water if that's all that's needed to clean the brushes?

Water and soap for brush cleanup. A good source of cheaper emulsion paints is test/match pots. I use these for terrain work for wargaming, where a lot of different hades is an advantage.

• Thanks 1