AS-18 Compressor Problem

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

I'm not very technical and so I have to appeal to those who know. My AS-18, which is about four years old, has started making clonking noises and now struggles to maintain pressure, sitting constantly at around 1 bar no matter how I adjust the pressure. What could the problem be, please?

Thanks.

Martin 

Thanks chaps. Not the best news but at least I know. So, what do I replace it with? I use a simple Badger 200.

Martin

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks chaps. Not the best news but at least I know. So, what do I replace it with? I use a simple Badger 200.

Martin

Any thoughts, Giorgio? @Giorgio N

Edited by RidgeRunner

Sorry, I don't really know this compressor so I can only throw some wild guess. The motor as mentioned could be at the end of its life, or maybe it's one of the valves. In any case with these chinese products it's very likely that Paul is right, repairing could be more expensive than replacing

5 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

Any thoughts, Giorgio? @Giorgio N

Cough, I think there is a site member from little-cars, Paul, who is generally known as a good and honest font of Airbrush knowledge....and selling products in support of the said need..

A small portable jobsite compresser may be a better idea. Second hand shops , pawn shops , boot sales , private sales  etc .

Could be better than 'renting' new ones every 2-4 years.

Edited by krow113

@little-cars and @Giorgio N

I fear that my old Chinese compressor will fail on me very soon. Subsequent to the above it is now sounding very sad. So, what do I get to replace it?

My use is with a Badger 200. I don't use it daily. In fact some weeks it doesn't get turned on at all! I need a small but appropriate compressor that we take my airbrush (which I like) easily. Simple to use. Compact.

I'd appreciate your thought so that I can get going on a new purchase! Thank you :)

Martin 

Personally I'm using the compressor sold by Italeri. It's nothing special but when I investigated the product I was told that whoever make them for Italeri have a good reputation. Looking at yours I have to say that the AS-18 is heavily inspired by mine... I know that compressors mostly look similar but some of the details look identical.

I've had mine for 8 years now and never had a problem. I also have a Badger 200 and have used this with the compressor without any issues, however IIRC I had to buy an adaptor (paid something like €4 for it).

Really though I'm not an expert on compressors, I'm sure Paul and others know more on the subject and will be able to give you some good advice.

Why AS18 and not an upgrade to AS189 or even 196? The tank would translate into less strain on the motor, especially if the painting sessions are a bit longer. Just remember to drain it once a month.

27 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

Why AS18 and not an upgrade to AS189 or even 196? The tank would translate into less strain on the motor, especially if the painting sessions are a bit longer. Just remember to drain it once a month.

I would echo this advice very whole-hearedly. I bought a cheap-and-cheerful, Chinese compressor off E-Bay a few years and managed to drain about a half-litre of very rusty water out of it... I was not impressed with the previous owner, suffice to say. Regular draining (using the vent on the underside of the air-tank) should help keep the compressor healthy and happy. 

Cheers.

Chris.    

I just recently got a AS189 and can only say that i like it so far. Draining needs to be done on any compressor with tank so that needs to be kept in mind anyways nomather what brand you buy:)

Thanks Rob. I’ve gone for another AS18. It is the post :). It served me well across the past 4+ years so I think it will be fine. For £53 i couldn’t go wrong ;)

Martin

On 18/04/2018 at 11:15 AM, bmwh548 said:

Sorry but I saw your message too late. Having said that I think the AS18 will still serve me okay forvthe anount i use and the price i paid. I appeciate the though.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 2:26 PM, little-cars said:

Four years is a good age for a chinese compressor, I usually assume  2 years.   

Probably time to buy a new one, my guess is that it'll probably cost more to repair it than to buy a replacement.

Paul

My one has been pumping away since 2009! 😁