Phantom - Bergstrom AFB, October 1980

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

Another foray in to the files. These few are from a visit to Bergstrom AFB, Texas, close to Austin, Texas. It was (now closed) a base that hosted regular air force Phantoms of the 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing as well as Air Force Reserve Hercs. More of the latter later. This post centres around the Recce Phantoms. As with many of these posts the images were taken early in the morning, offering a range of colours and warm tones.

BERG1A

BERG2A

BERG6 copy

pha10

BERG5

I'll be back soon with a few of the Hercs.

martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
added text
  • Like 14

8 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

With all these southern Phantoms your posting, any pics from the 106th?

Hi!

I just checked. I went to Montgomery but not Birmingham. If you are interested they will be along soon ;)

Martin

• Thanks 1

Thanks again chaps. As I've said many times, I was very fortunate. My M.O. was always to write off to the local Public AffIairs office at each base. It took a while, of course, being pre-email. I remember waiting anxiously each day when the postman came before I headed to work. Those were the days! I still have my stock of responses, every one being courteous and obliging, leading to a base visit. My mate John and I planned two bases a day on our U.S. trips, with around 200-250 miles each day over a two-three week period. I was the only driver so John navigated and, as I had set up most visits when we came across anywhere unexpected he was the negotiator. It all worked like a dream. I can't imagine it happening now. On our Mid-West trip in May 1982 we picked up a New Toyota Corolla Tercel with 18 miles on the clock and dropped it off back at St. Louis with 3,026! Quite a trip!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 4 weeks later...

Great pics, thanks for sharing them. Bergstrom AFB is now Austin-Bergstrom Intl Apt , I've been there a few times and although it's been demilitarised there are still indications of it's military past .