Hello from Hampshire, England

StewartA

Hi There,

My name is Stewart and I live in Basingrad (stoke), England.

I built a few models when I was very young but, never painted any of them and really wasn't that good at it. I just loved the idea of building something up from a kit.

My father used to work for Vosper Thornycroft and actually worked on the design of the brave class MTB. I'll never forget the day I started building the Tamiya kit he had and made a hash of it. He was not a happy bunny!

Anyway, I've got my own version of this now and having looked at Lynx's amazing effort with the same kit; I'm worried that I can't do it justice but, I'm going to give it my best shot!!! I'm loving the fact that it takes me away from my day job and helps me focus and concentrate on something for me. It's proving to be a very cathartic experience already.

I have a young son (2) who is just absolutely crazy about helicopters and planes so I plan to build some and have a flying montage in his room.

Best Regards,

Stewart.

• Like 2

Hello Stewart ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from Chicago USA. Happy to hear youve discovered the real joy of models. It is a cathartic experience. Only advice I can offer is take your time on the MTB build. If you hit a snag set it aside until your ready again. Thats why we have stashes. My personal record for a set aside is 14 years with a Catalina, you can always go back to it later. Though my reasons are different. 

Dennis

PS - Dont try to do all the “expert” skills at one time. Its a sure fire recipe for disaster. Commit to the idea of learning a new techniques/skill with every new model. You will learn faster with less pressure. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

5 hours ago, StewartA said:

I have a young son (2) who is just absolutely crazy about helicopters and planes

Stewart you have the perfect excuse when SWMBO queries you ever expanding stash of models :smile:

Welcome to the madhouse BM.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Stewart ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from Chicago USA. Happy to hear youve discovered the real joy of models. It is a cathartic experience. Only advice I can offer is take your time on the MTB build. If you hit a snag set it aside until your ready again. Thats why we have stashes. My personal record for a set aside is 14 years with a Catalina, you can always go back to it later. Though my reasons are different. 

Dennis

PS - Dont try to do all the “expert” skills at one time. Its a sure fire recipe for disaster. Commit to the idea of learning a new techniques/skill with every new model. You will learn faster with less pressure. 

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the welcome and the excellent advice. I do have a pressing reason for doing it but, I'm not going to be too adventurous with it, take my time and practice everything before committing to it. I did buy two of the kits also as it's important to me, and I've also got some cheaper Airfix ones that I will do in parallel to upskill as I go. I've actually stopped myself on a few things already.

I'm realistic and appreciate it will take a while to build up my skill levels to get anywhere near the professional standard here but, Google and YouTube are my friends and learning a lot from watching them. We learn from our mistakes so for me it is all about not making too many major ones!

Best Regards,

Stewart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m.webb63 said:

Hi Stewart, fellow new modeller here. I'm on my fourth kit now and can see noticeable improvements already, live and learn! Hope to see some of your posts soon, Matt 

Hi Matt - thanks for the welcome - it's a brave new world - I'll keep an eye out for some of yours :o) We're lucky to have such an amazing resource here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Welcome, Stewart, from the south eastern corner of Hampshire! If you enjoy the build, you've done it justice :thumbsup2:

Hi Clive - thank you. Spent many years living in Portsmouth before moving here. Would have thought you'd be mad about the nautical :o)

• Haha 1

Long story, but I'm not from here originally. I guess much like yourself, I cut my modelling teeth on aircraft, but with the plentiful encouragement and advice on here, I have found myself tackling subjects that I've never been near before. Enjoy your time on BM, and whatever you're building, share the progress with the rest of us! :)

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

Nice to have another Hampshire modeller on board.  There is a very active scale model club in Farnborough just up the road from you. If you want to pop in and pay us a visit you would be more than welcome.

http://www.ipms-farnborough.co.uk/

Hi Eric. Many thanks for that. I will definitely check it out!

22 hours ago, clive_t said:

Long story, but I'm not from here originally. I guess much like yourself, I cut my modelling teeth on aircraft, but with the plentiful encouragement and advice on here, I have found myself tackling subjects that I've never been near before. Enjoy your time on BM, and whatever you're building, share the progress with the rest of us! :)

Hi Clive - I was actually born in Portsmouth but, moved to Basingstoke 10 years ago....