Going large with a Harrier.......

Needing a break from the Norwich project, I have chosen to start one of my 1/24 projects. This will be a first for me and a long term project, something to work on between Norwich builds but hopefully ready for display at the 2019 Newark Cockpit Fest. I obtained this kit quite cheaply, £25 IIRC with the original plan to build this alongside a 1/24 Hurricane and Typhoon and then display all of them in flight on a central plinth. It was at this point that the drugs wore off and reality set in as to where the hell I would store such a display A centerpiece for the dinning room table would no doubt mean future dinners being eaten on our laps and SWMBO giving me `that` look for possibly years to come.  So I have held off getting the Hurricane and plan to build the Harrier and Tiffie as separate entities. I`ll discuss plans for the Tiffie when the time comes as this thread concerns the Harrier GR.3.

So first a couple of pictures and this gives you an idea of the scale, 1/24 v 1/72 in the first photo and then the 1/24 Tiffie v 1/24 Harrier.

41501949631_28e31e2915_c.jpg 

39693081820_4d6e41fca7_c.jpg 

It was quite surprising to see that the Harrier and Tiffie are quite similar in size and makes you realise how large the Typhoon was and how small the Harrier GR.3 is despite the 20 years that separate both designs.

So what exactly am I going to do with this Harrier. As mentioned I originally had the idea of an in-flight, bog standard build, possibly dropping a bomb or recreating a Falklands War ejection scene in 1/24 adding the aftermarket detailing sets and really going to town on as much detail as possible. It was when I googled said aftermarket sets that I realised that I would be paying out possibly 5 times the amount I spent on the kit itself! While I love modeling as a hobby, I refuse to take out a second mortgage on it. So plan B sprung into action and while it was a plan B, it`s more a Plan A- as it`s a modelling challenge right up my alley and far more cost effective....., kinda. (Dio base and bits will have a cost implication).

So last September I was lucky enough to get a visit to the Manston Fire School to view the various airframes, especially ZE360. But I was also quite intrigued with the other residents and always thought this Harrier, (XW768), would make for a decent diorama. It was one of three Harrier GR.3`s delivered to Halton as the last flying examples in the RAF and used for airframe training before ending it`s days as an non destructive airframe for the fire school. I`m assuming non destructive means they can not burn it??

37004877786_6680892f29_c.jpg 

37194986245_e362f8a8fd_c.jpg 

More soon.

• Like 8

Interesting project. I always look forward to seeing a wingy thing in the dioramas forum, but unusually yours will entail heavy weathering, mud and possibly even moss and mold!

I edited 'rust' out of that list because I suspect the thing is predominently aluminium!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tc2324 said:

...It was one of three Harrier GR.3`s delivered to Halton as the last flying examples in the RAF and used for airframe training before ending it`s days as an non destructive airframe for the fire school. I`m assuming non destructive means they can not burn it??...

Perhaps the firies use the u/s Harriers to see how well the fire fighting liquids and propellants penetrate into the aircraft.

By the way, it's a great idea for a diorama.

Perhaps you could add the firies actually extinguishing a blazing Harrier.

Edited by Getunderit
  • Like 2

Thanks chaps.

Peter, I was informed, (not confirmed though), that airframes are not burnt anymore at Manston, something to be with environment issues in the area. They have one of these huge metal aircraft looking containers for the fire practice. I believe they use smoke bombs on the actual airframes to simulate fire. Most airframes, including the huge Nimrod, are just sitting there in the elements doing not a lot.

Spent last night looking over the main issues that need to be planned and action.

1. Cutting off the nose, check.

41484533402_c26d515daa_c.jpg 

(Not a perfect fit admittedly but the great thing about wreck diorama builds is that you can get away with certain things. In this case the nose is hanging off so I don`t need it to fit perfectly).

2. Internal engine plastic all needs to be taken out. As seen in the photos the nozzles are missing and it`s just 4 big black holes. 

41525788411_c94e67ba13_c.jpg 

3. Got to think about the tail bend to a near right angle. I have an idea so hopefully will be able to post the result tomorrow.

41525787881_fee7aece48_c.jpg 

4. Intake intakes(?) need to be opened up. Requires a drill, drill bit, file and plasticard.

39716814400_4d02b0d19b_c.jpg 

Hopefully over the next couple of days I`ll be able to post the results.

More soon.  

• Like 3

I've got one on a long term build at the moment, so I'll come along for the ride as well :thumbsup:

I'm using the Flightpath Detail set, Heritage Aviation resin and a lot of scratchbuilding on mine, as I intend having the engine partially exposed and will be opening many inspection and electronic bays! The build is current but I'm looking for detail pictures of these areas which seem to be very few and far between!

• Like 1

Had the day off today so managed to crack on with a few things and experiment with some ideas regarding this build. First though I apologise for the high number of photo`s in this update but felt it necessary to highlight what I`m trying to do and it may also help or inspire someone else who may be in the middle of chopping up a 1/24 Harrier......

So as mentioned in the previous post, drill, drill bit, file and plasticard were put to good use to create the little intake doors around the main intake. (really should find out what they are called....) 

41560100861_3164b24d3f_c.jpg 

It`s all a bit rough and ready at the moment, but I`ll tidy up the edges in due course and this is just to give you an idea of how I`m getting it done.

Next are a series of pictures showing how I`m getting the tail to bend at a right angle. Luckily this kit comes with a tail unit for the AV-8 variant show I have used this as a test subject.

First mark up the cut line and cut the half that`s the direction of the bend, starboard in this case. Then score a line on the port half but don`t cut all the way through.

26691564447_c2338d99e1_c.jpg

Next trim about 4mm off each of the starboard cut line half`s..........

41560099191_ce7bfed426_c.jpg 

....... and then stick everything together so you end up with something like this.......

40667230995_c5864aa6a8_c.jpg 

You now have a tail fin that can bend to the required angle and after a bit of filler and a bit of paint, it`s a reasonable representation of what I`m after. 

41519166982_9e5bd14c2d_c.jpg 

40667230365_04fa037586_c.jpg 

Like I said this is all very experimental and done of a budget, so I`m open to suggestions before starting on the real parts.

more soon.

• Like 3

Spent the last couple of days looking after the missus while she recovers from her 4 hours and 40 minutes London Marathon triumph, so in between ice packs and cup of teas/coffee`s, I`ve managed to do the odd bit here and there.

Photo update in no particular order.....,

41675262991_5e211ce4fe_c.jpg

40785396335_b1df160efc_c.jpg 

41675261551_5eb0156ba8_c.jpg 

40785395525_b763ec977f_c.jpg 

I`ve started work on the seat using plasticard to make the seat a reasonable representation of the real thin as well as drilling holes on a few places to represent missing panels. The engine blades are dirty and weathered and the wing section with dropping flaps are mostly done. You will notice that I`ve pretty much painted everything black and that`s simply because when your looking inside these wrecks, everything comes across as black and the black will add to the darkness of the inside of hulk in the finished article. 

More soon.

• Like 2

Coming back to the Harrier dio, this morning I took delivery of some grass green spray paint, a A2 cut of teddy bear fur and some wood board in preparation of making the base. Never used teddy bear fur before, but I hear it can give you a great result if you want to simulate long or uncut grass so it will be an interesting experiment. 

26889788977_3ba4da7c8e_c.jpg 

Just need the weather to cooperate before moving forward with it.........

• Like 5

Great start. I wondered what the hell you were doing with the tail plane there until I took a second look at the original photos..... I’ll look forward to seeing this come together. Are you going to bother filling the rivets?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, goggsy said:

Great start. I wondered what the hell you were doing with the tail plane there until I took a second look at the original photos..... I’ll look forward to seeing this come together. Are you going to bother filling the rivets?

Not going to bother filling all the rivets goggsy, far too many and I could imagine that that kind of job would be soul destroying. 😉  I can live with then and hopefully the dio itself will take your eye away from the issues.

Majority of the base completed today starting off with cutting the board to size and adding strip`s of double sided sticky tape........,

41061669424_ffb70b24ec_c.jpg 

....... which in turn led to the fur being placed on the board then the the operation moving to the garden for spraying. Thank god I`m using `grass green` paint, SWMBO didn`t notice a thing.....!

Once dry the base ended up looking like this......,

41061667694_1cffd3ceb9_c.jpg 

....... and with the `kit` in place, these following pictures may give you a better idea of what I`m trying to achieve.

27910173808_ae39b91a46_c.jpg 

41061669044_4dbfe89da9_c.jpg 

More soon.

• Like 7

Managed to grab a bit of time yesterday and this morning working on the seat and cockpit areas making them look weather beaten and worn. Drilled some holes for missing instruments and chipping to look like the primer or paint looks worn away.

Anyway, ...... see what you think?

40117499620_5087e7c3c8_c.jpg 

28053982928_fb6a2aa445_c.jpg 

28053981798_8812ac486b_c.jpg 

More soon.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

A series of shots showing the progress so far. 

The last two shots show the choice of the spray paints used as the base colours. These will all be weathered down in due course to better represent faded and sun bleached paint work.

If anyone has ideas for fading out the roundel decals, then I`d be happy to hear your ideas/suggestions. 

40733488090_877f34dcbc_c.jpg 

40733489020_6e0321af24_c.jpg 

40733493620_28f60409e0_c.jpg 

27671301017_75ab9d557d_c.jpg 

42541932351_9bb203385b_c.jpg 

More soon.

• Like 4

A weekend update on the Harrier dio. 

It`s starting to come together although I would say that even at this early stage I regret no putting in enough `bend` on the fin. It really should be more a right angle. Oh well, can`t get everything right so it will have to do.

Still lots to do.

27845024157_2c77aa7091_c.jpg 

27845025297_2b0320a148_c.jpg 

27845024787_de75d4ab73_c.jpg 

• Like 6

Looking excellent. I don't think the lack of bend in the tail detracts from anything, or is a noticeable defect to be honest. I'm really liking the whole thing, and am impressed at how similar your original photo the whole thing is.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 8:38 PM, tc2324 said:

create the little intake doors around the main intake. (really should find out what they are called....) 

I believe (and might be wrong) they are called bypass doors.Stunning idea and work so far BTW.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

Auxiliary intake doors if we're being precise. They allow the Pegasus to get enough breath when it's not moving forward fast enough for the big holes to do the trick.

Nice idea for a diorama, by the way. Very sad sight though.... They're supposed to be sat in commandeered supermarkets waiting to do the thing they do when all the runways have rendered all the other fast jets useless. Ah well.

• Like 1