Special dedicated kit build with sponsor 2018 (The Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang) chat

Oh wow I totally forgot about this! Pretty sure I put my name down too, guess I had better get my backside in gear and sort something out. I have about 8 Airfix Mustangs some of them from Jadlam now I think of it... But don't have that starter set.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

20 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Oh wow I totally forgot about this! Pretty sure I put my name down too, guess I had better get my backside in gear and sort something out. I have about 8 Airfix Mustangs some of them from Jadlam now I think of it... But don't have that starter set.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

As long as the base kit is the same one, all is good

I'm in! I don't need to buy a kit. I have this one:

142691-20195-84-720.jpg

For the time being, I'm planning to use the Korean War markings supplied with the kit.

Edited by VMA131Marine

On 7/3/2018 at 8:02 PM, Ratch said:

Its 6 weeks! How long do you need for a Starter Kit?

Umm, 6 months would seem fair given that I look like managing a grand total of 2 GBs this year from a hoped for 4- I may not build fast but I can do the numbers stuff quicker!!

Bit late joining this, I have a previously bought starter boxing, going to do a RAAF one from an Xtradecal sheet, and my first ever NMF! :worry:

DSC_0017DSC_0018

Does this kit have a 'Dallas' canopy? I noticed there are two (rear parts) in the kit.

Davey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Bit late joining this, I have a previously bought starter boxing, going to do a RAAF one from an Xtradecal sheet, and my first ever NMF! :worry:

DSC_0017DSC_0018

Does this kit have a 'Dallas' canopy? I noticed there are two (rear parts) in the kit.

Davey.

Yes ;) can someone help me though , read the rules to say afternakeret can’t be used, but just read it again and it doesn’t say that tough implies it, so can I use the freight dog prop I have to do a p-51k or not?

Edited by PhantomBigStu

9 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Yes ;) can someone help me though , read the rules to say afternakeret can’t be used, but just read it again and it doesn’t say that tough implies it, so can I use the freight dog prop I have to do a p-51k or not?

Stu, the rules on page one state that All aftermarket parts and decals and scratchbuild can be used, must have been updated recently 😀

Davey.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Stu, the rules on page one state that All aftermarket parts and decals and scratchbuild can be used, must have been updated recently 😀

Davey.

Ah exellent I shall get myself a kit from our good sponsor then :) edit indeed I have done so

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 8/7/2018 at 6:35 AM, JadlamRacingModels said:

Looking forward to seeing the finished kits fellas. More than happy to sort out some decent prizes for you...

Seriously praying its like a school sports day where everyone gets a medal! Remember its the taking part that counts!! :rofl:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hammett98 said:

Seriously praying its like a school sports day where everyone gets a medal! Remember its the taking part that counts!! :rofl:

Medals were only awarded for the top 3 places when I went to school! This taking part lark...pfffffft

Look forward to seeing progress on these kits - feel free to chuck any pictures on here or to me directly at [email protected] and I'll stick them on our social media etc.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Quick question ? Does the 25% rule apply ? Or is it hands off until the starting time ? I wasnt able to see anything against the 25% rule. 

Dennis

I would prefer everything for this GB to be from the start of the build, as it is meant to showcase everyone working from the start on the same kit

• Like 1

Getting tempted to have a crack at this GB,I have "Form" with this kit but a couple of set's of decal's spare still to use.

done also the Redtail,RAF and Dominican boxing's.

SDC10635_zps3894cfd4.jpg

SDC10628_zps05301e4c.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

You should always read the small print I suppose. I’d assumed this was going to be a GB for next year...as my son constantly reminds me, I’m an idiot. Anyhow, I’ve got some Swiss markings somewhere so I’ll try and knock something Swiss together.

• Like 1

Hello Chaps,

Just a quick question with regard to the finish on the Mustang, did the treatment for the wings i.e. the 'silver' lacquer paint used on the filled and smoothed wings follow through to the horizontal stabilizers?

Also to differentiate between the fuselage and wing surfaces, I was thinking of using Vallejo metal colour - Aluminium but adding a small amount of white or light grey for the wing paint.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark.

3 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Just a quick question with regard to the finish on the Mustang, did the treatment for the wings i.e. the 'silver' lacquer paint used on the filled and smoothed wings follow through to the horizontal stabilizers?

Hello Mark ... Troy smith posted this link,

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/21362-mustang-wings-and-panel-seams/&do=findComment&comment=2612837

on my thread about the wings. It might have answers it might not ? I hope you find the answer so as everybody may know ? 

Dennis