Special dedicated kit build with sponsor 2018 (The Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang) chat

30 minutes ago, shatters said:

The airfix hurricane wasn't on the list of options, otherwise it would have been on my list too.

Phil

I thought they were just examples chap.

Rick.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Clarify a point for me please - are we supposed to buy our kits from Jadlam?

Jadlam are going to supply them to us at a discounted price

37 minutes ago, thepureness said:

Jadlam are going to supply them to us at a discounted price

If thats the case I would probably need to bow out. I couldn't afford International shipping rates from the U.K..

If i could procure my sample outside of Jadlam ?  From a U.S. Distributor then im still interested. 

In principle I like the idea, it would be a bit different from the group builds we have today but would be very interesting !

Regarding the choice of kit I really have no favourite.. or better, I may have some favourites but I feel that in a GB like this part of the fun is building whatever is proposed and actually I may even be more intrugued by a subject I know little or nothing about. The price range proposed sounds reasonable to me, but of course this is a very personal thing, some may prefer cheaper options while others may be happy with more expensive kits

At the same time I share the concerns voiced by other foreign based modellers regarding the purchase of the kit, it may work very well or become difficult depending on where the modeller is based. For me, today's delivery costs from Jadlam to my country are pretty good so I may very well still be in. Don't know what things will be like next year, if they stay the same I'll be in

• Like 1

For me, the trigger point to participate in this GB would be if I could get a decent kit that I’d be happy to build purely OOB, then  wollow in the fact that I bought it for less than retail price. That’s why I’m going to re-nominate the new Airfix Wellington.  We are bound to get caught up in all the hype when this kit hits the LHS shelves, so why not take advantage of it (at a discount price) instead of paying full retail for it? 

I’m afraid all the smaller mentioned kits won’t be worth it when you factor in international postage, however a new Welly would tick plenty of boxes for me at least as I’ll be buying one either way. 

Do we have any idea what % off normal retail price Jadlam are likely to offer? Airfix are quoting the Wellington at a pre-order cost of GBP30.99, would people reconsider this kit if Jadlam sold it to you for somewhere between 18-20 pounds (my estimate only)?? 

Just a thought.. 

Cheers.. Dave (who still has one foot in this GB, however the waters getting colder). 

For the same reasons as I’ve outlined above how about the new Airfix 1/48 Hunter? If that doesn’t gather interest, nothing will! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Few things I want to cover with this GB

* International members that want to take part but would like to source the kit locally, then that is all good

* Anyone that already has the kit in their stash and would like to take part, then that is all good too.

* Aftermarket decals are fine

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

For the same reasons as I’ve outlined above how about the new Airfix 1/48 Hunter? If that doesn’t gather interest, nothing will! 

Cheers.. Dave

Some people's budget or SWMBO might not warrant spending even £25-£30 on the kit, also just waiting for the given date for the GB, which might conflict if we are waiting for new releases.

One idea I want to put forward. The Airfix 1/72 Ju-87B2/R2 I have seen a few times mentioned from my list. I could then see if Rus could get a couple of the 1/48 kits of the same aircraft as prizes. Making it a little theme of build a small Junkers to win a big junkers, We could be looking around £10ish per kit. It is also a great kit too

The Spitfire Mk.1a I find a little restricted due to not many decal options apart from the standard dark earth dark green

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just had a look at Jadlams site and did some quick figuring based on the Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 starter set. Cost + Intl. shipping to USA. Roughs in at £20.00 or about $26.00. I can get the same kit domestically for $9.00 with shipping ?

So Im out if i have to purchase from Jadlam. Like I said if i can buy the same exact kit from a local distibutor. I dont see why it wouldn't be allowed into a group build ? In otherwords I guess what I'm asking is. Would it be against the rules to entor and/or be disqualified if not purchased directly from the Sponsor ? 

I kinda agree with the comments there should be more choice as to what model one can build for the GB. The Spitfire Ia being a good example of being too restrictive to pretty much de/dg scheme with only the squadron markings being different. How about offering a choice of 3 kits to mix it up a bit - say for example Airfix Spitfire, Bf 109 and P-51D?  If Jadlam doesn't want to offer a discount on 3 kits, how about make it part sponsored with discount on Spitfire only?

Another one could be - you can build any kit as long as it's in stock at Jadlam and still only have the discount on the Spitfire.

As for international modellers where it isn't economically viable to purchase from Jadlam, yes I agree they should be allowed in if they want to obtain the kit by other means.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just had a look at Jadlams site and did some quick figuring based on the Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 starter set. Cost + Intl. shipping to USA. Roughs in at £20.00 or about $26.00. I can get the same kit domestically for $9.00 with shipping ?

So Im out if i have to purchase from Jadlam. Like I said if i can buy the same exact kit from a local distibutor. I dont see why it wouldn't be allowed into a group build ? In otherwords I guess what I'm asking is. Would it be against the rules to entor and/or be disqualified if not purchased directly from the Sponsor ? 

* International members that want to take part but would like to source the kit locally, then that is all good

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 14:58, thepureness said:

Ok people

I'm going to start of with listing 6 kits that we can look at, focusing on price that Jadlam could do them for and kits that have been suggested, i'll run this for a few days before putting a vote on the kit we choose. Any more ideas please comment

My examples

1. Airfix 1/72 Junkers JU87B2/R2 (£11.95 before discount)

2. Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter 100 years of service edition (£17.95 before discount)

3. Tamiya 1/48 Messerscmitt BF-109 G6 (£28 after discount, Russ has already priced this up)

4. Airfix 1/72 Mosquito kit number A03019 (£11.95 before discount)

5. Tamiya 1/72 IL-2 Stormovik (£21.95 Before discount)

6. Revell 1/48 Mosquito MK-IV (£22.74 Before Discount)

Options other members have given

1. Airfix 1/72 Spitfire any version (approx £9.99 before discount)

2. Airfix 1/72 Typhoon MK.1 (£9.99 before discount)

Would like to be in on this - scale wise I'd prefer 1/72 but suggest a type less well represented on here so that we're mostly doing something new/unusual but still in stock for them. Something like https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/tamiya-60741-douglas-f4d-1-skyray-1-72-aircraft-model-kit/ 

• Like 1

May I suggest some of the new Zvezda and Revell 1/144 airliners? :whistle: About the same price range as the mentioned kits.

To be honest I find the list of options a bit limited. I realize WWII models are very popular but all 8 of them from the same niche?

I'd vote for the 1:72 P/F-51 Mustang. You just can't beat the variety it would provide in decoration options. V-P

Edit: but as BK writes below, please just name the kit, set the dates, list the names and then let's build!

• Like 1

imvho this is getting more and more complicated

It should be taken back to the sponsor and he should pick a kit that he is willing to discount to us*

Then see who wants to join in the GB and build the sponsor nominated kit.

There will be sufficient numbers joining up

* over-seas GBers can buy the kit locally if is better for them to do so

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon Chaps,

Just seen this and I like the initial idea put forward by Jedlam.  The initial idea does remind me of the Starter Set GB we did a number of years ago (2 or 3?),  I personally built the new (at the time) Tiger Moth from only what was in the kit/set (it is sitting infront of me now).  I don't know about other people, but I had so much fun in that GB because it was taking me back to my childhood when I built a model in an afternoon.  This proposal from Jedlam sounds like an extension of that.  Why don't we pick a starter set or just starter sets in general (there is a few) and see what people can do when they have the extra tools - but rule out AF stuff bar decals?  Just a suggestion to keep the price down and the potential numbers of entrants higher.  I would also put forward my interest if the kit was right (I like the idea of the Stuka).

Kind Regards,

Dazz

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I like this. 

Spitfire, Typhoon all good but I think the Mossie should be in. I haven’t seen many of them built in the GBs

You may have missed the dedicated DH + Mossie Mega GB then? V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I like this. 

Spitfire, Typhoon all good but I think the Mossie should be in. I haven’t seen many of them built in the GBs

There were quite a few here: 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/584-de-havilland-mega-gb/

Edited by PlaStix
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Afternoon Chaps,

Just seen this and I like the initial idea put forward by Jedlam.  The initial idea does remind me of the Starter Set GB we did a number of years ago (2 or 3?),  I personally built the new (at the time) Tiger Moth from only what was in the kit/set (it is sitting infront of me now).  I don't know about other people, but I had so much fun in that GB because it was taking me back to my childhood when I built a model in an afternoon.  This proposal from Jedlam sounds like an extension of that.  Why don't we pick a starter set or just starter sets in general (there is a few) and see what people can do when they have the extra tools - but rule out AF stuff bar decals?  Just a suggestion to keep the price down and the potential numbers of entrants higher.  I would also put forward my interest if the kit was right (I like the idea of the Stuka).

Kind Regards,

Dazz

This would preclude certain areas and people from joining. I cant get a starter set here in my region (no one carries them locally and my few online locations ) just the kit itself ? 

Please add my name to the list.

I don't have any strong opinions about the choice of kit.  I would prefer a 1/48 subject with some interesting history - but I'll have a go at anything.

I quite like the look of this though:-

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-flower-class-corvette-hms-butter-1-144-ship-model-kit-05158/

Dave.

On 4/22/2018 at 3:32 AM, Black Knight said:

imvho this is getting more and more complicated

It should be taken back to the sponsor and he should pick a kit that he is willing to discount to us*

Then see who wants to join in the GB and build the sponsor nominated kit.

There will be sufficient numbers joining up

* over-seas GBers can buy the kit locally if is better for them to do so

Indeed, would make it much easier!

And if you like to build a Ju 87, why not put your name down HERE. ;)

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk