Jump to content

BA's Grand Old Lady - Boeing 767 G-BNWA in 1/144


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, neilg said:

Beautiful!  The blue's a good match, I'm going to have get some of that from Halfords myself!  Look who I've just seen fly overhead:

 

IMG_3709

 

Thanks Neil.  Good to know that Whisky Alpha is still active, although not for much longer.  There's no avoiding the fact that the BA 767s are getting old and worn (the day after I flew on her Whisky Alpha suffered serious instrument problems while flying IST-LHR and had to divert to VIE) but I'll certainly miss them once they're gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superb work!  

I do love airliners and all their varied liveries.

If I did not have such a big backlog of 1/72 kits to build, I'd get into the whole 1/144 civil airliner thing straight up!

Excellent job. :clap2:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is such a beautiful model. absolutely flawless. mus admit I have a soft spot for the 767 and the BA ones in particular, will be sad to see them all disappear shortly

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

Wow, that looks fantastic Dave - well done!

 

You mention correcting the pylons - does the Revell boxing come with the RB211 engines?  I've got the Zvezda version but thought that had CFM engines.

 

Mike

Thanks for your generous comment Mike.

 

The very first issue of the Revell 767, the one with decals for BA Landor and Gulf Air, had alternative engines - RB211s for the BA scheme and Revell's strange GE/PW hybrid for Gulf Air. The RB211s weren't in any of the subsequent releases - KLM, Gulf Traveller etc - and are only to be found in the box with the BA Landor decals.  BraZ make a set of resin RB211s but they are pretty inaccurate and I found it easier to modify the kit parts , although that's no help if you don't have the Revell engines in the first place!  

 

The Zvezda kit has the GE CF-6 engines.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks for your generous comment Mike.

 

The very first issue of the Revell 767, the one with decals for BA Landor and Gulf Air, had alternative engines - RB211s for the BA scheme and Revell's strange GE/PW hybrid for Gulf Air. The RB211s weren't in any of the subsequent releases - KLM, Gulf Traveller etc - and are only to be found in the box with the BA Landor decals.  BraZ make a set of resin RB211s but they are pretty inaccurate and I found it easier to modify the kit parts , although that's no help if you don't have the Revell engines in the first place!  

 

The Zvezda kit has the GE CF-6 engines.

 

Will have to look out for that Revell boxing - I obviously got my GE-CF series and CFM confused😪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

The RB211s weren't in any of the subsequent releases - KLM, Gulf Traveller etc - and are only to be found in the box with the BA Landor decals.

Dave, I've only ever bought one Revell 767, the Gulf Traveller and SAS boxing, and it had the RB211 sprue included.

Cheers,

Ian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Turbofan said:

Dave, I've only ever bought one Revell 767, the Gulf Traveller and SAS boxing, and it had the RB211 sprue included.

Cheers,

Ian

 

Interesting!  I have 3 KLM examples in my stash and none of them have the RB211s (I've just checked).  A couple of years ago I built the Gulf Traveller version in Zoom livery and I have no memory of my kit having RB211s - they'd have gone straight into the "valuable" section of my spares box!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Skodadriver,

Superb model. I am surprised to read that this Boeing model is already more than 25 years old. So you see, keep building, because time is flying by.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How did I miss this one? Glad I caught up with it just now, it's a beauty. Somehow the 767 perfectly suits the Chatham livery, and those cockpit windows look superb.

 

Cheers

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi David

 

Having  seen it in the flesh at Perth I can say it is a truly stunning model, but just one of several outstanding models you have . It was a bit like being a child in a sweetie shop seeing your collection and I hope I didn’t bombard you with too many questions!  As I said it’s my bi annual dose of enthusiasm . Thanks for spending the time with me in conversation. I am suitably enthused to try harder.  Right back to that Britannia 737..........

 

Russell

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

That looks truly wonderful.

 

Can I ask how did you get those masking lines so crisp? What masking tape/process did you use? And the decals (especially those on the tailfin) , how did you apply those?


Did you use any top/clear coat?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 7:09 AM, gigi said:

That looks truly wonderful.

 

Can I ask how did you get those masking lines so crisp? What masking tape/process did you use? And the decals (especially those on the tailfin) , how did you apply those?


Did you use any top/clear coat?

Thanks for your appreciation.

 

I'm afraid there is no easy answer to the masking. You need to use good quality tape like Tamiya's yellow tape which is available in three widths and can be cut narrower if you need to. It's really a case of constantly checking that the tape is straight and level, measuring from either a panel line or the window line and sighting along it from all possible angles. A careful study of photos of the real aircraft is very important. Particular care is needed with the wing-body fairings and at the rear. You WON'T get it right first time. I've been building airliners for over 30 years and I have never once got a fuselage demarcation correct straight off. Corrections can be made with careful sanding and touching up. It can be a slow and frustrating process but if you get the initial masking as near to right as possible and take time and care with the corrections you'll get there eventually.

 

The decals are by Two Six. They are silk screened (like conventional kit decals) and top quality. I don't remember doing anything special with them. They fitted well straight off the sheet.

 

I don't usually clear coat my models but on the 767 I applied a coat of "Klear" over the blue. It had dried slightly patchy and the Klear gave a nice even finish. I mentioned Klear in my reply to your Tristar thread.

 

Hope that's some help

 

Dave G 🇺🇦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

🤔 no idea how I missed this wonderful 767.

Superbly build and painted.

The Revell kit still holds up well even compared to the newer Zvezda kit.

I still have ...or I should rather say,have again, 3 of those in my stash😉

One will of course be the "Chelsea Rose" ,the others yet undecided.

 

Alex

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

🤔 no idea how I missed this wonderful 767.

Superbly build and painted.

The Revell kit still holds up well even compared to the newer Zvezda kit.

I still have ...or I should rather say,have again, 3 of those in my stash😉

One will of course be the "Chelsea Rose" ,the others yet undecided.

 

Alex

Thanks Alex. It's always a nice surprise when a thread comes back to life, in this case after four years!

 

Sadly Whisky Alpha is no longer with us - she made her last BA revenue flight on 14 July 2018 and went to St Athan four days later for parting out and scrap.  

 

Like you I still have a few Revell 767s in the stash. I have plans to convert one to a -200 and finish it in Britannia livery but I'm not giving an eta on that!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks for your appreciation.

 

I'm afraid there is no easy answer to the masking. You need to use good quality tape like Tamiya's yellow tape which is available in three widths and can be cut narrower if you need to. It's really a case of constantly checking that the tape is straight and level, measuring from either a panel line or the window line and sighting along it from all possible angles. A careful study of photos of the real aircraft is very important. Particular care is needed with the wing-body fairings and at the rear. You WON'T get it right first time. I've been building airliners for over 30 years and I have never once got a fuselage demarcation correct straight off. Corrections can be made with careful sanding and touching up. It can be a slow and frustrating process but if you get the initial masking as near to right as possible and take time and care with the corrections you'll get there eventually.

 

The decals are by Two Six. They are silk screened (like conventional kit decals) and top quality. I don't remember doing anything special with them. They fitted well straight off the sheet.

 

I don't usually clear coat my models but on the 767 I applied a coat of "Klear" over the blue. It had dried slightly patchy and the Klear gave a nice even finish. I mentioned Klear in my reply to your Tristar thread.

 

Hope that's some help

 

Dave G 🇺🇦

Thank you Dave, yes, I have read that.

 

The problem is not getting lines straight, I can do that easily. Problem is the paper sometimes had a microscopically frazzled edge which is amplified by the paint and when you peel off the tape your line looks like you drew it with a hacksaw blade. Looks good from 1metre away, but close up it is just horrible.

 

I have never had success with Tamiya tape, not sure if you talk about the vinyl or the paper one, I have used both and found they don't stick properly and the paper version left horrible edges, so I moved back to 3M. I cut straight strips with a brand new scalpel blade every time using silicone paper as backing. I also keep my masking tapes in plastic bags right out of the package so they don't capture any fluff on the edge. I press the tape with a plastic card on the edge multiple times on application. Still get the odd hairy edge and don't know why. Just to make it clear, I am talking about very fine detail. You wouldn't be able to see it in a picture unless up close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...