Star-Spangled Spitfire

I built several of my favourite 1/72 kit back in the day, the Airfix Vb, but never in the optional American markings.  I thought I’d try the KP tropical Vb mainly due to the American markings on the box art (or more because I looked the look of one of the Grace-style Tr.9 warbirds that was in similar livery at one time)..

2018-03-30_11-30-04

The plane assembles beautifully in the usual order for Spitfires.  Unlike KP-stablemate AZ “Nine”s the wings are moulded full span with alternative clipped tips which simplifies that aspect.

27585870378_893547052e_b.jpg26585959857_53963f34e8_b.jpg

The only real problem so far with the kit is the decals, or rather some of them or indeed the lack thereof.  I think you’re okay with the two RAF options but KP obviously realised they forgot some of the stars so include an errata decal sheet with two more stars (marked Admiral?) but that didn’t seem to cover the underwing one correctly!  After I glossed the IP and seat ready I also discovered they hadn’t included the seat belt and IP decals on the sheet that are noted on the instructions (they’re on the Mk 1b boxing’s sheet though), so the seat belts are from tape and the instrument panel drybrushed!

20180330_111508

Luckily my pile of Airfix Vbs will supply the missing stars, but a question for Britmodellers – should the under wing roundel have a yellow ring or not?

You can read a fuller version of progress to date in our club’s latest magazine – its free to download and there are plenty of back-issuesto look at too.