1/72 Airfix Jet Provost T.4 OOTB

I don't really take notes on build hours, but I suspect it was 100+.  I'm a slow builder...

Off the bat, the weathering is wrong.  The JP demo/trainer would not be this dirty or neglected, but I figured I would go for an old airframe being used today, or maybe even a museum airframe etc.  I had it much glossier, as I polished the gloss coats bother before AND after decals but I, rightly or wrongly, decided it didn't look correct for the scale. Also, I couldn't get the shine as uniform as I'd like, so I went for a more battered look, before flat coating it all in.  

Overall, I'm happy with the results, and the help of this site, TGOSM facebook group, age/wisdom, YouTube, Money etc. have all helped me to achieve my best build, despite it being 18 years since I last touched a sprue or paint brush before this.

Fire away, all criticism is welcomed, as how else will I progress? :) It looks very rough in the close up photos, but I assure it's less ragged in the flesh.  My phone doesn't do good close up shots.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AvrA3ogvQRxh9bjM2

GrkPNvw6DImI_gKT9SjpJDlxu5HPFTpLVdB4ZSk4

f_K4F3u32apdrrzdAWSoMCOSCCqFTkrqSjDnPV2U

DyQDq8CjQGgJqdiQYzgHLW5hQwWkpG2BoVHBuT1Z

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 20

I know nothing of the aircraft type but from a build point of few I see nothing like glue marks, etc and looks like it was built well. As far as I can tell, their is nothing wrong with your paintwork, too much dirt. The decals have been applied with no silvering so your surface prior to decals must of been good. As you say, weathering is a little heavy but you knew that. Overall a good effort, :yes:.

• Like 1

Just now, Courageous said:

I know nothing of the aircraft type but from a build point of few I see nothing like glue marks, etc and looks like it was built well. As far as I can tell, their is nothing wrong with your paintwork, too much dirt. The decals have been applied with no silvering so your surface prior to decals must of been good. As you say, weathering is a little heavy but you knew that. Overall a good effort, :yes:.

Don't look too hard :D There are a few finger prints, either in the base coat or first gloss coat. Typically, I didn't notice them until after I had applied the decals. I learned after that to use latex gloves whenever touching any part.  Even if there's no paint when you touch it, greasy prints will show through :( 

The decals were OK to work with but the roundels were pretty poor. They weren't centered well and there was a slither of white on the outside of the blue one one of them.  You'd not spot it easily though; you can only just see it on the starboard wing at the leading edge.

The model had two heavy gloss coats (one before and after decals), both polished with super fine sponges and pads.  I use Mr Setter Neo/Softer Neo, but I don't think the Neo was really needed.  

• Like 1

Looks great to me.

For all I know the real thing has a brighter, cleaner look; but your build convinces me it looks like that in real life.

At this scale, I think a glossy look might be too out-of-scale, so toning it down works for me.

:goodjob: