Pz.kpwf.III ausf.N DAK - Dragon 1/35

Kris B

I am back. This time it be German tank.

u4sizL6vIFm5fClXC4qZAaOYj1Hql-ST-w_uuFLn

Some resin additions from Panzer Art

yN5QdkMaTpX1-FW1bUTCZIaguGiwW9eJp0FeWQ-l

And maybe some figures - depend how I paint them.

y9bxANxgjHP3SQYMQE-fsHeyR10oYciJHPi8Dtn8

Ok, some building progress.

Iqm_fm0d94CngmoMXNCnE31QTL8tYj6MBV1Soxd8

Lots of wheels:

rj2waNISYvpHBfymkcTWmdIqjVJBBglIGa7WzEWs

I've Corrected the name of manufacturer - right one:

nRf8CcheQIGxAC5ICMoUmffSnB7YDO6eOiffCUKD

• Like 8

Hi Chris. Definitely going to be taking notes on your build - I’ve got a Dragon Pz.III to build at some point. Looking forward to seeing yours in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Every time I see someone start a new build, I’m tempted to start another myself......I have a Panzer III Ausf N sitting looking at me😬

Love the tracks mate. Have to admit, wish I’d got them for T34. Picked up some Magic Tracks. They were ok, but nothing like Friul. 

Looking forward to seeing this one to the end

👍 Simon 

Yes, two 'nightmares' gone - wheels and track. 

I just want to admit that I am not using the original Friulmodel wire. Instead I bought 0.5mm brass rod and I am fitting two links together, drill them through and fit wire. I am not using any glue, and the wires seats in place. 

Those  tracks are just beautiful. unfortunately these are really expensive.

Andys HQ uses staples to pin the links together. Straightens one side. Drives the wire through the hole and cuts the end. 

Gosh, can it be, the drawback of those links is the missing bolt head? Do they have them on the outside?

Edited by Soeren

Need to check this John. If you got any links to where to get it that's will be handy. 

In the mean time whoever bought Miniart Pz.kpfw. III ausf B kit 35162 should read this:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=28762&mode=thread&order=0

16 hours ago, Kris B said:

Need to check this John. If you got any links to where to get it that's will be handy. 

Have a look at these sites. https://www.wwb.co.uk/equipment/entomological-pins & https://www.watdon.co.uk/acatalog/insect-pins-accessories.html. Amazon also sell them, but you would need to check the diameter of the shaft of the pins. The first site looks promising as it does give different sizes.

HTH's.

John.

Thank you John. 

I am looking for good DAK colour recipe for Tamiya paints. If anyone knows please write it here.

Edited by Kris B

First pattern, beginning of the campaign, March, 1941 to April, 1942

RAL 8000- 50/50 mix of Dark Yellow XF-60 and Flat Earth XF-52 with some drops of yellow green XF-4. You're looking for a golden brown with a twinge of green. Think Bovington Tiger.

RAL 7008-  I add a drop or two of both OD XF-62 and yellow green XF-4 to khaki XF-49.  Remember RAL 8000 and 7008 are nearly identical in tone. Hard to tell apart in B/W photos. Again, see the Bovington Tiger.

Second pattern, April 1941 to the end of the campaign May, 1943.

RAL 8020- 50/50 mix of Buff XF-57 and Flat Flesh XF-15. I add drops of flat white until I'm happy. 

RAL 7027- To the above mixture I add a drop or two of Khaki XF-49 and medium gray XF-19. It's a slightly greenish gray version of the base color.

These two colors have just a tad more contrast in tone compared to the 8000/7008 combo.

Tigers from sPzAbt 501 and 504 were painted RAL 8000/7008. You see damage touchups and add on parts painted RAL 7027. 

The Pz III N's from sPzAbt 501 were painted RAL 8000. There is no reference or indication those had RAL 7008 camo added.  

G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Nick, thank you.

In the meantime some more plastic and resin has been assembled together. The main parts of the hull are still separate, but I think they fits ok. I've replaced the resin tracks for metal ones as in my opinion looks better. The resin didn't fit well, but I think it's my fault. Little bit of trimming and is ok. 

uo0db4utdUeNBqzLUho0WoaLhlFH--MVOi5Mrjl-

• Like 6

As far as colour references go, Bovington's Tiger has certainly been repainted and has that almost-invisible 2-tone scheme, allegedly as per original.  AFAIK their PzIIIL is still in original DAK finish and has not been repainted (open to correction on that).  It's quite a brown shade.  I don't have any pics but I'm sure there are some on line.  Their very decrepit PzIIIN is in a much lighter and somewhat greener colour, also original AFAIK, presumably Dunkelgelb.

As for track link pin and bolt heads, single-pin track designs varied and you'd need to check references for your individual track type to see if it had external pin or nut heads.  Some had neither, relying on metal plates on the hull to push any loose pins back into place.  Nuts, if used, would almost certainly be on the outside face for maintenance access.  Double-pin designs all had an end connector with plain-ended pins held in the connector by a bolted wedge.  The wedge acted on flats machined into the pins to prevent lateral movement and rotation.

BTW, the first (left) pin supply site linked above only has a single size now.  The second has a wider variety, including pre-blackened.  Interestingly, they have a nylon-headed type.  The nylon could easily be removed with a blade or fine clippers, but I wonder if the metal pin still has a small head underneath to secure the nylon blob or whether it is plain.

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction