ICM 1/48 Do 17Z-7

I just purchased this kit and thought I would get in to it while finishing off a few others as well as starting an A-20 in RAAF colours. The kit is nicely cast with minimal flash on the parts. The interior is going to be RLM 02 and the exterior is black, this will be done with various grays at this stage with minimal actual black paint involved.

There are some ejector post marks that need cleaning up more than I initially thought, especially in the cockpit area and bomb bay

file.php?id=17302

The easy part of gluing in the cockpit parts prior to painting it RLM 02 and then detailing the dials etc.

The bulkheads are going in ok and have not caused any problems as yet when test fitted with a closed fuselage.

There has been a little more flash than I first thought, nothing extreme, but a little bit.

file.php?id=17301

It is a little bigger than I thought it would be.

file.php?id=17300

file.php?id=17299

The join behind the cockpit is going to be a problem and will need to be filled with filler or plastic card as I can't quite get it to fit properly. This poor fitting may just change when the fuselage i

s actually glued together.

file.php?id=17298

Edited by Harvs73
  • Like 6

A bit of work has now been done on the cockpit area of the DO-17. I have yet to do any weathering which will be a brown wash followed by a little highlighting.

Here is the cockpit prior to any weathering. I need to touch up the boxes on the left a bit as they didn't work out quite how I wanted them.

The cockpit goes together well just with minimal problems. The locating holes they use help ensure each part is in the right spot though one or two of them were a bit big.

file.php?id=17332

If I did this again I would use the Eduard PE for the cockpit as it would definitely put a bit of colour to the area. I have actually been using the Eduard PE instructions to get the colour suggestions for the cockpit area as they are a more useful in this way then the kit instructions.

The instrument panel is a bit dodgy when putting it together as the right hand section has no real location spot and has a minimal area for the glue to work.

file.php?id=17331

file.php?id=17330

Here are the wheels etc that have been started. The engines should be done today.

file.php?id=17329

Edited by Harvs73
  • Like 2

Hello David,

I'll tag along if you don't mind since I have one or two versions of this kit !

Détails are looking good, Adjustment have improved but .... Where would be the pleasure ??

Have a good modelling time !

Sincerely.

CC

Hi David,

I have a soft spot for nightfighters and this model is available at the LHS but I never did an ICM kit so I'm following your WIP with interest, please keep going!

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling

It is starting to look like a 'Flying Pencil' now.

file.php?id=17336

The tail needed a little cleaning up and a small amount of putty on the joints.

file.php?id=17335

The wing joint turned out better than I thought it would. I am going to work a little more on the front joint in the morning once it is all dry. I had to but a spacer inside the wing to ensure that the underside joints fit the fuselage correctly as they were slightly out and I didn't want to have to hang on to it for an extended period while the glue dried.

file.php?id=17334

I really like the way they have done the wheel bay, it just clips in nicely together with minimal chance of getting it wrong. The wheel bay is now weathered by having a brown wash followed by a lightened dry brush of RLM02.

file.php?id=17333

• Like 1

Great work David.

I have the ICM kit of the Do 215 in the stash with many parts in common to your kit so it’s good to see how it’s going together.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is with the first coat on of 1 part dark gray to four parts satin black. The edge has been taken off the black and it is not so stark now. I plan on putting on another coat of the mix to get all the parts I missed then put on the decals. Once decalled I will start the weathering process of black panel line wash and a variety of dark grays to highlight panels.

The annoying part is that the paint has highlighted some areas that need a touch up on the joints prior to the respray.

file.php?id=17354

• Like 1

• 4 months later...